• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ulnar Neuropathy and Carpal Tunnel

jeffco

I motorcycled 8,873 miles across Canada and back on my K1600 GTL this summer. This was my dream come true trip! I feel so grateful for the opportunity to see such beauty and meet so many wonderful Canadians through Couch Surfing, Air BnB, and stops for meals, etc. I did pay a physical price: ulnar neuropathy in my right elbow and wrist AND carpal tunnel; I had triple surgery on Sept 9th and am recovering doing my PT exercises religiously. My hand therapist showed me an Ergodyne catalog in which I found a pair of fingerless gloves with gel pads that cover the palm and wrist area where carpal tunnel takes place; they fit nicely under my gloves. These gloves were manufactured for people who use jack hammers, etc. The Ergodyne ProFlex 800 glove (https://www.ergodyne.com/) is something every rider should wear, ESPECIALLY if you plan to take a long trip. Carpal tunnel is the result of vibration from the motorcycle (yes, I know...BMWs have the LEAST amount of vibration of any motorcycle) stimulating the median nerve. By the time I reached Portland, Maine from Portland, Oregon, I was in serious pain. The Urgent Care MD told me I had classical carpal tunnel syndrome, and wearing a brace would help alleviate the pain, which it did. Unfortunately, I had to ride all the way back to Portland, OR, which caused some not only intense pain from both ulnar neuropathy and carpal tunnel, but also numbing of my thumb and fingers. I have since regained feeling in my fingers and about 80% in my thumb, and hold hope for a complete recovery. The point of all this is that if I had worn Ergodyne's gel ProFlex gloves, I might have avoided the carpal tunnel part of my experience. I don't know how to prevent ulnar neuropathy, but some research might shed some light. I do know that when the finger next to the little finger goes numb that this is connected to the ulnar nerve. Straightening out your arm while riding and gently moving it around reestablishes nerve connection.

I have communicated with Ergodyne, requesting they seriously consider manufacturing motorcycle gloves for summer and winter with gel packs to help prevent carpal tunnel. I have since learned that there are companies that may already be doing this. I plan to cycle down to Arizona this spring to check out Prescott, AZ and you can be sure I will be wearing my Ergodyne gloves.

I had carpal tunnel surgery done a few years ago. My situation was aggravated by typing at work, but would show up as numb hands at the oddest times. Motorcycle riding was one of those. It's fun to find yourself in rush hour traffic at 60 mph with no feeling in your right hand.

The surgery worked wonders. I get no pain or numbness in either hand now. I highly recommend it.

Chris

I had severe pain while sleeping (while on long trips), but never while I rode. One morning I was in such pain I wanted to cut my hand off, but was in too much pain to even crawl to get a butcher knife. I had surgery on a Thursday evening (done with local) and back to work on Monday, only taking some Ibuprofen here and there. A month later I had the other hand done with the same results (Thurs evening surgery and back to work on Monday). I have been pain free ever since.

Back