• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn Signal Mirrors

I've just replaces an LT that had the Muth turn signal mirrors with a new RT. I'm interested in putting a similar feature on the RT. Muth does not make direct replacement mirrors with integrated LED turn signals. Their "spot mirror" looks good, but appears to be quite large for the RT mirror. I've heard that the 8-LED Hyperlight module is a fine alternative.

Has anyone added either of these options to their RT? If so, how do they (1) work, (2) look? And how would one mount the Hyperlight module?

Thanks!

Stan
09 RT

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I added the CPA Mirrors Add-A-Signal to both of my mirrors on my R1200RT, and appreciate the extra safety they provide. They also work with the hazard flashers.

Just peel off the protective paper and stick them in the lower corner of the OEM mirrors. The single wire from each chevron simply tucks inside your mirror, and you secure it to the turn signal bulb (take the bulb out, lay exposed end of wire inside bulb socket - put bulb back in!

Whole job (with wiring) takes about 8 minutes per mirror, and that includes stopping to sip coffee.

I bought my unit (and several spares for future bikes) at Wal-Mart Automotive for about $7. They seem impervious to weather and have faithfully performed now for four years. They're bright LED's and get noticed by drivers behind me, since they are at their eye level.

I included an on-line web address so you can see what they look like.

Good Luck.

http://www.cipamirrors.com/Add-A-Signal_p_951.html

Greenwald, these look like the ones that I recently found at Canadian Tire but mine came with 2 wires. One wire would have been a simpler hookup. I haven't ridden with them yet but I figure that these have to attract attention when signalling. Well worth the money (although 3x the cost at Cdn Tire).:ca

My RT is an '07. Anyone with the CAN('t) BUS have any experience with these signal lights?
Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down

My RT is an '07. Anyone with the CAN('t) BUS have any experience with these signal lights?
Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down

I too have the CANbus system - no worries. Works fine.

Draws so little amperage that CANbus doesn't even know they're there.

Thanks

Thanks, K.M., for the info! I'll check them out. These look like a better solution than the stick-on "blind spot" mirrors since the RT mirror is relatively small and the 2" blind-spot add ons would take too much real estate on the mirror.

Stan Moore
09RT
Lake Tahoe

Greenwald or Paul_F, these look like very nice safety items especially for lanechanges on the freeway. Do they come in other colours that red such as amber?

Greenwald or Paul_F, these look like very nice safety items especially for lanechanges on the freeway. Do they come in other colours that red such as amber?

I was looking for these in amber, but at Cdn Tire, the counter person looked them up and told me they were only available in red. Found a pair later at Walmart, again red but only about $16.00. I would have preferred amber. :ca

Thanks for the tip !

Thanks for the tip Greenwald, I got the add a signal at VIP auto parts today for about $14.00. I couldn't find them at Walmart, although I'm sure you can get them for a much better price there. I got the red signals and it looks like a two wire hook up, the red wire to the bulb and a white wire to ground. This will at least give me some use out of the original mirrors and will make the bike safer. I don't like the original mirrors and added the K1200RS Sport mirrors to my RT which is much more functional especially with touring gear on board. These signals will work great on my original mirrors, thanks again for the tip. Don:groovy

So... I have fisheye mirrors stuck on the stock mirrors where I think these signals should go. Anyone know how to remove the fisheyes?
Thanks,
Rw
Rubber down.

:bikes

So... I have fisheye mirrors stuck on the stock mirrors where I think these signals should go. Anyone know how to remove the fisheyes?
Thanks,
Rw
Rubber down.

I use a heat gun on low and gently pull the mirror off. Next I use Goo Gone to remove any of the remaining glue.

Hey Paul,
Don't have a heat gun, how about the wife's hair dryer and what setting? The heat guns I've seen in catalogs wicked hot. What wattage did you use?
Thanks,
Rich

Rubber down

Back