• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tried this bucket trick

rpeckham136133

We have had discussions of the inside of the headlight bucket on the /2 forums, and some have painted the inside white, to better see what goes on. I haven't done it on my /2, but the /6 was coming apart to the point of removing the wiring harness for paint, so.....

This is before::scratch

Attachments

• P1020735 (Small).JPG
    P1020735 (Small).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 168
Very big difference.

Never having seen the inside of one, I am amazed at the rats nest of wires. What a trouble shooting nightmare. I guess they are all necessary?

re Necessary?

Very big difference.

Never having seen the inside of one, I am amazed at the rats nest of wires. What a trouble shooting nightmare. I guess they are all necessary?

Well, yes! There is a world of difference with the /2's, which were magneto ignition and a simple generator. This is the /6, which has points ignition (alternator, points, voltage regulator), turn signals, ignition switch, indicator lights including neutral, charging fault, oil pressure, and high beam. So each wire does something, is switched on somewhere, etc, and it all "converges" in the bucket! Not as bad as it looks, there is a board at the bottom which hooks stuff together. You just make good notes (and take photos!) as you go, and hopefully put it all together with the computer and your notes nearby... and take your time.....

Satisfying, when you hook up the battery, turn the switch, and things light up like they're 'sposed to.....

We would all be astounded to see what goes into today's bikes, except that so much is done out of sight on printed circuits, computer, etc etc. This bike was the vintage when wiring was actually wires!

Bob Peckham
1966 R50/2
1075 R60/6

Back