• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailer size for three motorcycles

mcwhirtj

We (wife and I) are moving from Northern to Southern CA - about 650 miles. Between us (wife and I) we have three motorcycles;

R1200GSA
R1200RT
F700GS

Given the logistics and timing, riding them to their new home is not an option. I will be getting quotes to ship them, but also was thinking I might buy a trailer, use it and then sell it, or even rent from U-Haul (downside is they only do local so I'd have to make a round trip). I have trailered (is that a word?) bikes before, both myself (we used to own a toy hauler) and hired, but never all three.

My question is: Will a 6' x 12' (open) trailer work for all three bikes? . This is a common size as I look at used offerings, and what U-Haul offers in their largest open-bed trailer w/ ramp. I can line them up in the garage and sort of get an idea, but that isn't real world.

If you have experience w/ getting three bikes of this size/type onto a trailer I'd be interested to hear.

I struggled where to post this - "Gear" seemed as good a match as any, open to move if there is a better suggestion.

Probably will fit. I can recommend a piece of plywood with a constructed wheel chock fastened to the plywood. Front wheels strapped to the wheel chock then- what will end up looking like a spider on acid, crisscross of tie-downs. Probably best to remove any hard luggage.
You may consider going a level up and renting a “cube-style” truck and move some other things at the same time. Well placed miscellaneous stuff can help hold things like the bikes in place.
Good luck.
OM

My trailer, 6’9” x 12’ will easily accommodate three bikes. Besides the wheel chock suggested, I like to block the wheels side to side so they won’t shift if I hit some rough road. With a wood bed, some 2 x 4 blocks and wood screws, it’s easy to secure.

72865032-1A3B-49C4-B4A7-42BA45518DAB.jpg

^^^^nice trailer^^^^
That recommendation on the extra blocks is a great idea. Most likely a U-HAUL open trailer will be galvanized steel and might make it difficult. The wood floor generally associated with the “cube-style” may be around that steel deck consideration.
OM

Wish I still had it, but in this pic you'll see my three-rail open trailer. I'm down to two bikes now and didn't feel I'd really need it again so I sold it.

Absolutely a bare bones trailer but perfect for three bikes - and yes, three RT's have been on the trailer [and a lot more over the years]. The center rail is [guessing now] @ 2 feet forward of the two outside rails.

If you could find one similar, Bob's your uncle.

Shedbikes.jpg

And here's a shot of it hooked up to haul one of the bikes I had in Tucson, home to NM. You can see how staggered the rails on in this shot.

981106-001.jpg

Pickup truck not an option? I know some people are afraid of loading this way but I prefer to immensely to towing.

bQk2MHn.jpeg

kHFP1P4.jpeg

That’s a GSA + F750GS + R18 (on the kendon stand up)

Back