• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To weld or not to weld

andrewt

I guess this should go to benchwrenching for Paul Glaves to answer but I was not
sure how to thread the needle. I have a 08 G650X Country that I am trying to addapt a rear rack to. Yamaha makes one that will get me past the stove pipe muffler ( has to meet Calif. regs.) In order to do that I would like to weld a couple of brackets to the 1in tube frame but have heard that welding to the frame may
blow the brains in the black box. Anybody got any solid advise

Well, this is in the wrong section, but I did come across it...

You can weld to the frame as long as you remove the computer & disconnect the battery. I would MIG or TIG weld it. This is the same case as welding on any car with a computer.

I've MIG welded on many cars and trucks with no adverse effect on the computers......

But I would never TIG weld on a vehicle with a computer. My TIG welder puts out so much electrical nonsense that it has actually activated my radio control garage doors and set off my wifes car alarm! Huge amounts of high frequency radio waves that I can't believe would be good for a vehicles computer.

I've heard folks say to disconnect the battery when doing any electrical welding on a vehicle. I'm not sure if this protects anything, but I do disconnect the battery when MIG welding.

I weld everyday on cars and bikes with no problems. Disconnect the ECU and the battery. If you want to ride to Northern Cal I'll do it for you.

I do a lot of welding like this (MIG) and no issues. I think it is like the static discharge mats used when working on CMOS electronics. Static almost never does any damage--ALMOST.

So, if MIG damages the computer 1 out of a 1000 times, and it is your bike, it was a bad move. I don't disconnect anything, but it would be safest and absolutely safe if you do. I keep the MIG ground very close to the weld so the current travels a short path in the frame metal, which might help.

Back