• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Wear - 2018 RT

stooie

Holy smokes! I'm down to the wear bar on the rear Michelin PR4GT at only 4,000 miles.

I ride almost exclusively on country backroads that are chipseal vs. the smoother (and presumably kinder to tires) asphalt on more heavily traveled roads. On my previous FJR I got about 6500 miles on their original Bridgestones.

No; it's not me. I'm a pretty conservative rider and I'm obsessive about maintaining tire pressure. It's just the dang tire-eating coarse surface-finish of the roads I ride.

Next up - I'll be talking to my guy next week about getting a pair of Conti Road Attack 3s. I have yet to hear a bad word about them either here or on the FJR forums.

Ride long and prosper!

I’ve gotten 7500 miles from my PR4’s with lots of tread left, 15RT
What pressure are you running 42/36?

I too am plagued with poor tire wear on my ‘15 RT. 4200-5000 miles to the wear bars on PR 4, Angel GT, Road 5. Working on my second set of Conti RA 3 GTs with better results. Currently at 5K and likely be another 1K or more to the wear bars. They still feel good too. All my riding is in N GA and western NC.

I have a 2016 'RT and I have got as little as 7,500km (4,700 miles) and as high as 14,000km (8,700 miles) from my PR4 GT's.

I have just fitted a set of Pirelli Angel II GT A's, and will see what they give me. My local dealer, whe services all of the police RT's, says that irrespective of what tyres they fit, they will get around 10,000km from them. On my previous bike, a Honda ST1300, I was getting around 20,000km from PR4's and am a bit alarmed at the low mileage that I get from the RT.

Holy smokes! I'm down to the wear bar on the rear Michelin PR4GT at only 4,000 miles.

I ride almost exclusively on country backroads that are chipseal vs. the smoother (and presumably kinder to tires) asphalt on more heavily traveled roads. On my previous FJR I got about 6500 miles on their original Bridgestones.

No; it's not me. I'm a pretty conservative rider and I'm obsessive about maintaining tire pressure. It's just the dang tire-eating coarse surface-finish of the roads I ride.

Next up - I'll be talking to my guy next week about getting a pair of Conti Road Attack 3s. I have yet to hear a bad word about them either here or on the FJR forums.

Ride long and prosper!

I can recommend the GT variant of Conti Road Attack 3. It's a perfect tire for RTW in all ways IMO.

I got 6,000 miles on the stock Michelin on my 2018 RT, and it had cord showing. I knew it was getting thin, but I figured I had 1,000-2,000 to go, next look and the important parts are starting to show. Hope fully the Conti Road Attack GT's run a bit longer. I Have a 2016 HD Limited and get 18,000 on a rear tire.

I’ve gotten 7500 miles from my PR4’s with lots of tread left, 15RT
What pressure are you running 42/36?

I run 38F/42R. The front tire is still in pretty good shape but the middle of the rear is worn to the limit.

I'm pretty sure the difference is due to the roads I ride on. Not complaining; riding through the farm and wine country is why I have the bike. I'm sure I would get much more life out of them droning up and down the smooth asphalt on I-5, but that's not the reason I ride.

I wonder if riding in "rain" ride mode would help tire wear. Just a thought. Abrupt throttle changes I'm sure contribute.

Few tires can handle chip-seal roads as they act like a cheese grater. Continentals seem to last a bit longer than the Michelins in that respect. YMMV

Chipseal is probably the hardest surface to get mileage out of a tire. I just finished off a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires and installed the Conti tire. So far, I love it. Granted, I only have about 1,000 miles on it, but it is a very quiet tire. I hope it wears like the Dunlop did though.

Well at least I am not the only one disappointed in the tire mileage on my 2016 RT. On my '06 RT I consistently got 10-12,000 miles and really liked the PR4's. I had Metzlers on the '16 when new and hated them. Tried Dunlop Road Smarts and got maybe 7,000 miles. Then first set of PR4's swapped out because of a nail and now hoping for some better life on my 2nd set of PR4's. At this point I think I'd be happy with 8-9,000 miles.

I’ve never got much more than 10,000km on a rear on a 1200RT and a 1200RS, Michelin PR3, PR4, Metzeler Z6, Roadtec. It’s the crappy road surfaces here in the Canadian Maritimes. Or maybe it’s the way I ride. I do keep to 42 psi.

Tire wear

I live just below ya in Lebanon and probably ride similar or the same roads. I got 6,000 on my set, rear is starting to flatten out a bit, but both are still good. I run 38/41. Probably just that tire, sometimes you get a bad one.

Bob

I got just over 11k mi on my last set of Michelin PR4GTs. Front might have gone another 1000. Running 39F/42R on my '16 RT. Great handling, nice and quiet after the first 1000 mi. PR4's are all I need.

I got 6,000 miles on the stock Michelin on my 2018 RT, and it had cord showing. I knew it was getting thin, but I figured I had 1,000-2,000 to go, next look and the important parts are starting to show. Hope fully the Conti Road Attack GT's run a bit longer. I Have a 2016 HD Limited and get 18,000 on a rear tire.

Wow to the 18000 miles

Well at least I am not the only one disappointed in the tire mileage on my 2016 RT.

News flash...its not the bike. :)

With factory recommended pressures on my K1200 I've got 14,000km with my Conti RA3s and can probably get at least another 3,000 out of them before the wear bar surfaces. I rarely ride chip seal roads (fortunately) and typically cruise at 120km/h, half of it in stinkin' hot (35C+) weather.

Back