• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Question '86 K100RS with sidecar

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
I have a 1986 K100RS with an EML sidecar attached running small car tires after the conversion. Last year I had a Tire Pressure Monitoring System installed so I could get a warning of a sudden tire pressure loss. Now I have access to information that previously was only available at stops. I can see the pressure in each of the three tires while I am riding and this is becoming an obsession. I have the pressure alarm set for 35 PSI. If the pressure gets down to 35 PSI I get an audible and visual alarm. The target pressure for the tires when cold is 38 PSI. The problem is that the pressure fluctuates greatly depending on the outside temperature and road conditions and I think speed. I am searching for the "correct" pressure setting for my tires.

Today when I start with the pressure at 38 PSI, after several miles the pressure rises and in heat (like we are experiencing the past week) the pressure can rise to 42 PSI. Is this normal? Does it indicate an incorrect starting pressure? Is the right pressure a setting that results in less variation when underway? Should I have more or less pressure in the sidecar wheel as it has a lighter load I assume?

Any thoughts on tire pressure would be greatly appreciated.

Can't speak for sidecar setups specifically (i'd contact EML for that), but a nearly 10% rise in psi from cold to warm, which is what your tires did in going form 38 to 42, is exactly what you want to see on bike tires.
until/unless you hear differently regarding sidecar usage, it sounds like you are spot on.

Thanks for the feedback. I shouldn't obsess over these things but being able to see the pressure has made me think more about inflation than ever before.

Now, if I can just figure out how to calibrate my pressure gauge....

Back