• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire match question

the Wizard of Oz
The used bike I just bought has a Michelin Road Pilot 2 on the rear that will need to be replaced 'soon-ish' The front is an RP 3 that's in very good shape. One of the big online vendors has a sale on. Can I mix an RP 4 rear with the RP 3 front tire that's on now?
TIA!

I've run different brands front and rear before without any issue or strange handling. I'm sure it depends on the brands and the specific tires to some degree, but if you're matching "type" of tire (a sport touring tire from Michelin up front, sport touring tire from Continental in the rear vs running a racing slick in the rear and a touring tire up front) I think you'll be fine in most cases.

Some tire sellers claim that tires need to be matched. But that is - in my opinion - only because they are tire sellers who want to sell two tires instead of one. Buy a tire that meets specifications and you will be fine unless you are riding at the tire limits like on a racetrack.

I have on a couple of occasions used a street tire on the rear of my bike and a dual-sport tire on the front of a street bike I rode on some gravel roads - not minding a little squirm at the rear but hating any slip at the front.

YMMV

Thanx!

I've run different brands front and rear before without any issue or strange handling. I'm sure it depends on the brands and the specific tires to some degree, but if you're matching "type" of tire (a sport touring tire from Michelin up front, sport touring tire from Continental in the rear vs running a racing slick in the rear and a touring tire up front) I think you'll be fine in most cases.

Thanx!

Some tire sellers claim that tires need to be matched. But that is - in my opinion - only because they are tire sellers who want to sell two tires instead of one. Buy a tire that meets specifications and you will be fine unless you are riding at the tire limits like on a racetrack.

I have on a couple of occasions used a street tire on the rear of my bike and a dual-sport tire on the front of a street bike I rode on some gravel roads - not minding a little squirm at the rear but hating any slip at the front.

YMMV

Thanx, Paul and hey to V!

I asked a similar question once to one of the wise old sages who worked at the parts counter at a dealer circa 2008. I remember him saying that I shouldn't worry, and the part that made me chuckle was when he said that "modern tires are so good you just wanna lay down and cry!" :D

Back