• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. :laugh

Here's a joke which also illustrates one of the differences between us...

Q: How do you get 10 Canadians out of a swimming pool?
A: Say, "Everybody out of the pool."

Why do Canadians say "sorry" as often as we are accused? I think in general we give a damn that every heartbeat matters. The crazy lady next door to me makes me crazy but I wish her no ill will. I will wear a mask in public to show respect for others and I know short of a P1000 mask, it won't protect me from someone that does have the Covid.

Some complain that they can't carry a sidearm in Canada. Yes, granted, NB is an example, my city as well but I don't see a need to carry a gun into Walmart.

Tommy Douglas was a Canadian hero from a tiny, nondescript province that survived the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years. He fought for universal health care in our country and we do pay for it. I would rather give up a few shackles of my paycheque then watch someone that needs real care turned away because they can't pay for it.

Our countries are different. We are also divided by region. I grew up in the land of the granola munchers and spent my time with the Francophone. We may be different but our respect for our differences is why Canada has 0.10 of Covid cases and 0.001" deaths of the US.

My Mom can't visit her two sons, grandchildren and new grandchild because she lives in CA. I told her to grab her crap, gather up my sister and her kids and grandkids and get to Canada.

And here I sit, pontificating that as of today, Canada's new Covid cases are less than 0.01% of the US's and the math should show we should be at 5000+ today compared to our neighbours. We are at less than 400 today, total, in the entire country.

Take care my neighbours to the south and remember your power comes in November.

:lurk

And for those of you who have already been on the bus to the “time out” corner-

:nono

The Mod Team

I heard that SARS Cov2 virus is just like a lot of Canadian snow birds and doesn't like the cold weather. That might not be true but I heard it said, and a lot of people are saying it so it might be true, we just don't know for sure. ;)

I heard that SARS Cov2 virus is just like a lot of Canadian snow birds and doesn't like the cold weather. That might not be true but I heard it said, and a lot of people are saying it so it might be true, we just don't know for sure. ;)

Cable news might have a place for you.........

I sorta got the same info on the heat/high ambient temperatures. Hope you are right on the cold.
OM

I sorta got the same info on the heat/high ambient temperatures. Hope you are right on the cold.
OM

Texas has been in a "heat dome" with triple digit temperatures for over a week and no end in sight. Meanwhile new infections and the percentage of positive test results keep hitting new daily highs. It does not appear that heat deters the spread of disease at all.

Texas has been in a "heat dome" with triple digit temperatures for over a week and no end in sight. Meanwhile new infections and the percentage of positive test results keep hitting new daily highs. It does not appear that heat deters the spread of disease at all.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions one way or the other from what you are observing in Texas, both weather-wise and virus-wise. It could be that heat and UV are very effective deterrents to the virus, and that without your current weather conditions the virus outbreak may well have been exponentially worse. That possibility should be sobering, with peak summer ending soon and the return of lower sun angles just a few months away.

There is so much we don't know or understand about this novel virus. But one thing we do know definitively is that wearing masks greatly reduces transmission. At the moment it is the most effective tool we have to allow people to go on with their lives and work, without having to sit in lockdown. Unfortunately, there are just too many knuckleheads out there not wearing them in public spaces. Wherever masks aren't worn, outbreaks will follow, regardless of weather conditions.

Nice. :laugh

Here's a joke which also illustrates one of the differences between us...

Q: How do you get 10 Canadians out of a swimming pool?
A: Say, "Everybody out of the pool."

This makes me wonder about the results if Milgram had conducted his experiment in Canada.

It's like Goldilocks.......... not too hot or too cold .......... it's gotta be just right.

But, you need a Goldilocks that's really gifted in these matters. Otherwise, you'll be talking to MDs, virologists, meteorologists and others that have been so wrong in the past.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions one way or the other from what you are observing in Texas, both weather-wise and virus-wise. It could be that heat and UV are very effective deterrents to the virus, and that without your current weather conditions the virus outbreak may well have been exponentially worse. That possibility should be sobering, with peak summer ending soon and the return of lower sun angles just a few months away.

There is so much we don't know or understand about this novel virus. But one thing we do know definitively is that wearing masks greatly reduces transmission. At the moment it is the most effective tool we have to allow people to go on with their lives and work, without having to sit in lockdown. Unfortunately, there are just too many knuckleheads out there not wearing them in public spaces. Wherever masks aren't worn, outbreaks will follow, regardless of weather conditions.

Another way of looking at this is to see how death rates change as a result of all these new cases. Certainly they will increase, but in Idaho where we've had over a 100% increase of positive tests and the new case numbers are setting records there have been (so far) only a very small number of new deaths. Deaths are a trailing factor as people have to get sick and then get sick enough to die. However, so many of the new cases here - and from what I can tell all over the US - are people under 40, many of whom show no or very mild symptoms. It seems that the only things which will eventually stop this will be combination of herd immunity combined with an effective vaccine. It could be that the current cases are building the herd immunity which should help once a vaccine is widely available. The concern during this time is for those in the higher risk groups to not catch it in the meantime.

Living here in the heat dome, I can attest that most people I know and interact with spend the majority of their time inside in the A/C. So the outside heat, even if it would destroy/deteriorate the virus, has no effect inside in the A/C.

On a side note, it irks me when people say "kill" the virus. A virus isn't alive, as we understand life. That is why viruses are considered to be in a separate kingdom from all other 'life' on earth. Nothing can kill the virus; you can deteriorate the cell walls of the virus so that it cannot mate to a host and use the host to replicate, but you cannot kill what is not alive.

Why do Canadians say "sorry" as often as we are accused? I think in general we give a damn that every heartbeat matters. The crazy lady next door to me makes me crazy but I wish her no ill will. I will wear a mask in public to show respect for others and I know short of a P1000 mask, it won't protect me from someone that does have the Covid.

Some complain that they can't carry a sidearm in Canada. Yes, granted, NB is an example, my city as well but I don't see a need to carry a gun into Walmart.

Tommy Douglas was a Canadian hero from a tiny, nondescript province that survived the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl years. He fought for universal health care in our country and we do pay for it. I would rather give up a few shackles of my paycheque then watch someone that needs real care turned away because they can't pay for it.

Our countries are different. We are also divided by region. I grew up in the land of the granola munchers and spent my time with the Francophone. We may be different but our respect for our differences is why Canada has 0.10 of Covid cases and 0.001" deaths of the US.

My Mom can't visit her two sons, grandchildren and new grandchild because she lives in CA. I told her to grab her crap, gather up my sister and her kids and grandkids and get to Canada.

And here I sit, pontificating that as of today, Canada's new Covid cases are less than 0.01% of the US's and the math should show we should be at 5000+ today compared to our neighbours. We are at less than 400 today, total, in the entire country.

Take care my neighbours to the south and remember your power comes in November.

Good for you.

Yoda,

Some woman named Harriet posted this ........ "Being a US citizen is like being married to an idiot. You know what the right choice is, but they have to do it their way."

Another way of looking at this is to see how death rates change as a result of all these new cases. Certainly they will increase, but in Idaho where we've had over a 100% increase of positive tests and the new case numbers are setting records there have been (so far) only a very small number of new deaths. Deaths are a trailing factor as people have to get sick and then get sick enough to die. However, so many of the new cases here - and from what I can tell all over the US - are people under 40, many of whom show no or very mild symptoms. It seems that the only things which will eventually stop this will be combination of herd immunity combined with an effective vaccine. It could be that the current cases are building the herd immunity which should help once a vaccine is widely available. The concern during this time is for those in the higher risk groups to not catch it in the meantime.

Two weeks was the nominal lag time in the Northeast

Two weeks was the nominal lag time in the Northeast

That was the pattern here, as well. I read yesterday that with the current surge there are fewer serious cases, due to the younger age of most of those testing positive or they take longer to get sick. Also, there are new treatments which reduce the severity and increase survival rates. The next is that the lag to see deaths is believed to be longer now - three or four weeks, or more. Wait and see.

That was the pattern here, as well. I read yesterday that with the current surge there are fewer serious cases, due to the younger age of most of those testing positive or they take longer to get sick. Also, there are new treatments which reduce the severity and increase survival rates. The next is that the lag to see deaths is believed to be longer now - three or four weeks, or more. Wait and see.

I think ID, will be a bit different than the northeast experience. A lot of our fatalities were in assisted living facilities. As such, the FL and AZ retirement communities will be interesting case studies.

I think ID, will be a bit different than the northeast experience. A lot of our fatalities were in assisted living facilities. As such, the FL and AZ retirement communities will be interesting case studies.

So far, 40% of our 101 deaths have been in nursing homes.

Absolutely. Like tossing a match into a pile of toilet tissue.
In Mass, we seem to be doing pretty good on the wearing of masks. I was near one of the main travel routes to Cape Cod yesterday and wasn't enthused to see so many out of state plates headed in that direction.
The Cape is a wonderful place in the summer, if you don't mind the crowds that have discovered this. I hope they are all being reminded to be careful.
OM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back