• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tillamook, OR - A Look at The Pacific

B

BobMielke

My first big ride snce moving to Oregon happened today. The idea for the ride came, as one of many did, from motorcycle forums. Thanks for suggesting Hwy 6 to Tillamook gang. Great twisty road with little traffic & super scenery. I finished at the ocean and enjoyed a cup of java at the Anchor Inn before heading back. Next it was lunch at the Helvetia Tavern and a Jumbo Burger all the way. Yum! 1/2 pound of delightful protein. My blood sugar was low, you understand! I even managed a pic of the entertaining animals across from the Tavern. This is a family forum so I'll not go into details of what they were doing. Finally, pics from Bob. Enjoy!
Tillamook_1.jpg
Tillamook_2.jpg

Tillamook_3.jpg
Helvetia_Tavern_2.jpg

Helvetia_Animals.jpg

Three Capes Loop

Bob,

If you have not already rode the Three Capes Loop, it is a must do. The road is great and the scenery is spectacular. It starts in Tillamook and ends up down at Pacific City. The Pellican Brew Pub in Pacific City is a good spot to get some grub and quench the thirst.

Lee... :brow

Careful! All those pictures are likely to cause midwestern riders mental indigestion.

As a NW native, I've always assumed that WA, OR, and northern CA "motorcycling" roads were nothing special--just the left end of the country. Now, having visited much of the rest, I realize what a great place we have to ride.

1. The climate is ideal. Not too cold in the winter, not too hot in the summer. Low humidity. Lots of mountains to allow altitude change for temperature adjustment or weather change. East of the Cascade mts the weather is generally warmer, drier. West of the Cascades it's generally cooler, wetter.

2. Lots of scenery. Coastal roads with spectacular views of the Pacific ocean. Curvey roads that climb over mountain passes between whispering evergreen trees. Waterfalls, lakes, rivers, islands. Genuine mountains, many with active glaciers, some with ongoing volcanic action.

3. A motorcycle-friendly attitude on the many different ferry crossings. Bikes load first, get off first.

4. Unlimited choices for rides--all good to excellent. Examples: Circuit of Mt. Rainier via 410 & 706, FS #25 on the east side of Mt. St. Helens, Highway 20 over WA pass between Burlington and Winthrop, Highway 112 from Port Angeles to Neah Bay, "old" highway through the Columbia Gorge, Highway 62 to Crater Lake between Medford and Klamath Falls, the circuit of the Wallowa Mts from LaGrande to Baker City via 82/86, any section of Highways 1 or 101, but especially 1 between San Francisco and Leggett, 211 Cape Mendocino between Ferndale and South Fork, and Tioga Pass through Yosemite from Modesto to Lee Vining. It's possible to find "boring" roads, but you really have to work at it. (even some stretches of the Interstate have nice scenery)

5. Few dangerous or nasty critters. No chiggers dropping out of the trees. No swarms of mosquitos. No poisonous snakes or spiders west of the Cascades. And rattlesnakes always announce their presence if disturbed. OK, there are wild deer, elk, moose, bear, skunks, blue heron, etc. to run into, as well as some dangerous human "wildlife" in the cities.

It's my opinion that NW motorcyclists tend not to join clubs because there is so much great riding available there is little need for additional stimulation.

pmdave

OK, thanks Dave now everyone is going to want to move out here. lol

Hey everyone it rains out here every day, the weather is miserable and the constantly grey cloudy skies are very depressing. Stay where you are... :nyah

Doc :dance

SHOOOPS, I forgot. Yes, you're absolutely correct, everyone knows it rains every day in Seattle. And I forgot to mention the frequent volcanic eruptions, Tsnumamis, Lahars, forest fires, oil spills, plagues of locusts, and next the bird flu.

If you do decide to visit the NW edge of the USA, you have to sign a waiver promising to return home and not discuss it with anyone. No photos of sunshine or blue sky are allowed to be shown. Otherwise we have to kill you.

pmdave

pmdave said:
If you do decide to visit the NW edge of the USA, you have to sign a waiver promising to return home and not discuss it with anyone. No photos of sunshine or blue sky are allowed to be shown. Otherwise we have to kill you.

.... especially if you're from California.

FWIW, for the zillion times I've visited Seattle, it has only rained a couple of times. Otherwise the weather has been perfect. (and the coffee totally kick ass!)

Ian

Back