• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle Synch hiccup?

Bdiver

Sign Guy
I haven't ridden or fired up the bike in about 3-4 weeks ago due to some other maintenance I've been doing. I did the synch this evening and got it quite smooth but every now and again the right cyl would have a slight hiccup? I don't know what thats all about but does anyone have any idea what that might be? I'll give it a good run and see if it ha's anymore hiccups.

cables not buggered, cable sheath inside of adjuster sleaves
sparkplug wires OK
Water in gas
Rubber manifolds for TBs not cracked
valve clearances set properly
AF clean

bike up to normal operating temp before doing the synch?

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll review everything one more time but the water in the gas could be a possibility since it sat for about 2-3 weeks (the horror). Strange that it only hiccups on the right side. If/when I figure it out I'll post for someone else.

Thanks and enjoy the ride,

Your throttle bodies may just need a cleaning. My RS would "hiccup" at idle and sometimes stall. I asked a mechanic friend and he said the oil from the crankcase breather system into the intake causes a buildup on the throttle plates that can to a point seal off the plate to the TB throat.

So I moved the TB inlet tubes back and reached into the TBs with long swabs soaked in denatured alcohol and kept wiping around until I got things cleaned up. You also need to clean both sides of the plates, so simply hold the throttle wide open to get the other side.

Once done, the hiccup was gone and the bike never stalled at idle again.

I also run either Techron or Seafoam additive in my gas tank at least once per season. I have never had fuel injector problems in 125,000+ miles of riding.

Back