• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thoughts on first front tire change coming up...

andrewsi

Geeeeeeeeek.
My 09RT has about 6200 miles on it at the moment. The rear was changed prematurely due to a puncture that wasn't really repairable at about 3K, but the front is still original. It's the OEM Metz Z6. It has tons of tread depth left and the TWIs are barely visible, nowhere near the point shown in some of the photos on this forum of ones that are really worn out. However, they're starting to look a little squared off since they've done several thousand freeway miles this summer.

I have a trip of about 2K-2500 miles coming up for the Utah Weekend Getaway. I think based on tread depth, there's plenty of room to get there and back, and the slight flattening in the center doesn't seem to be affecting handling yet.

How many miles do people typically get from their front Z6? (I don't ride very heavily loaded most of the time, almost never 2-up.) I'm just contemplating whether to change the tire before the trip, or wait till I get back- I'd just hate to find myself with a tire that would reach the point of being marginally unsafe partway through the trip.

And on that note (at the risk of opening up a kissing cousin to the dino vs. synthetic debate): Any consensus opinions regarding quality/life distinctions between another Z6 (or the Interact) and the Pilot Road II? I'm open to trying the Michelins if handling is equally good but tread life is longer.

I generally get 10,000 out of the front pilot road 2's. There is still tread, but they are squared off enough to feel the ridge when turning. YMMV

Andy - I had Conti Sport Attacks on the RT and when I put PR2's big difference - read better w/PR2

On the GT I got the Z6's an OK tire but as soon as I get ready to change I will be putting on PR2's

Milage out of a tire has many variables, such as your local roads, your riding style, the pressures you like,etc, ad infinitum

From all my bikes I have gotten a range from 5K to10K on tires it really varies.

If you can do it - get new rubber, other than brakes they are the most important thing - IMO

Cheers :drink

I'm with Luis on this one. When there is any doubt, replace the tires! You can keep the old one around in case you, (or a friend), need an emergency spare.

Little tread and very wet roads at highway speeds are a bad combo. So if you're an all weather rider getting ready to hit the road, play safe and get some tread back.

If you always park it until the surface is dried up, you can run on slicks. Not too practical for a road trip though.

I appreciate the comments. I am NOT worried about tread depth - there's plenty for several thousand miles, I am quite certain. In this case I think it's going to be more about deciding when it's "excessively" flattened in the center. I always run at 36/42 +0/-1lb by the TPM. Since I'm not noticing any adverse handling at this point, I think I'm good for the trip.

I'll definitely be trying out the Michelin PR2 as a replacement when I get back, I think. Checked both Bikebandit and Motorcycle Superstore and they're both out of stock on the 120/70ZR17 size at the moment. Any other good online sources for the PR2 at a decent price?

Hey Andrew not to steal the thread but I just put a set of Shinko 006 Podiums on my 06 RT and they are fabulous. They make the bike feel like it lost a couple hundred pounds, grip like it's on rails and are QUIET. Ride is the same going down the super slab but in the secondary twisties they come on like gangbusters. I got the pair from MC Superstore delivered for $172 that's about half or less what Metzlers or PR2s would have cost. Folks I've spoken to claim the wet handling is great also.

I appreciate the comments. I am NOT worried about tread depth - there's plenty for several thousand miles, I am quite certain. In this case I think it's going to be more about deciding when it's "excessively" flattened in the center. I always run at 36/42 +0/-1lb by the TPM. Since I'm not noticing any adverse handling at this point, I think I'm good for the trip.

I'll definitely be trying out the Michelin PR2 as a replacement when I get back, I think. Checked both Bikebandit and Motorcycle Superstore and they're both out of stock on the 120/70ZR17 size at the moment. Any other good online sources for the PR2 at a decent price?
(AMT) www.AmericanMotorcycletire.com, just bought a Pilot Road Rear for my '09 RT for $125.00 plus shipping. Only caveat. the original PR was made in Spain, the replacement was made in Thailand. all markings on tire are the same and it seems to ride perfectly!

Nail in my original rear PR at 2100 miles. Just couldn't stand the thought of a patch or plug and for $200 shipped and installed with delivery in 3 days, had to go new!

I put a pair of Shinko 005 Advance on my 06 RT about a thousand miles ago and feel no difference from the Metzler Z6 (I got about 6500 miles from the Metzlers). The best part was that the pair cost $199. The tread pattern is similar to the Metzlers.
www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1701001/p/18995

Terry

I put a new Z6 on today. What a difference. $118 from Ron Ayers including shipping.

Well, I tried to get a PR2 from the American Moto site, and they're out of stock too, claiming about a 4-week backorder. They took my order initially and then wound up refunding the paypal transaction.

So that's 3 sites down. Think I'll just wait till someone gets them back in.

Back