• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

things to look for when buying a 1200rt (2009)

slothy

going this week to look at a 09 1200rt with 9400 miles on it from a dealer (non bmw). just curious is there anything i need to go over with a hawk eye more so than others?

other than FD issues here and there, i really haven't found anything reading that states other common problems.

also can the 2010 hand controls be swapped over? to work on these?

coming from a strong Harley background, i jumped ship last year and ended up with a 67 r50/2 78 r100/7 73 r75/5 toaster and want a more modern touring bike to take my 2 week trips on.

It's always good to be really good friends with your BMW dealer, so perhaps a trip there for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) might get you off on the right foot. For one thing, there are several service actions and a couple recalls applicable to this bike and they can inform you whether they've been performed.

Have never heard of anyone attempting to change over to the later handlebar switches, and I'd think it fairly unlikely possible. Frankly, many prefer the older style switches, but I've never heard of a switch that way either.

BMW is apparently committed to providing free fuel gauge senders (fuel strip) for these bikes until they finally install one that lasts. Whether this is an annoyance or not depends, maybe, as I for one fill up based on mileage as I had to do in the "good old days" prior to fuel gauges.

It's always good to be really good friends with your BMW dealer, so perhaps a trip there for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) might get you off on the right foot. For one thing, there are several service actions and a couple recalls applicable to this bike and they can inform you whether they've been performed.

Have never heard of anyone attempting to change over to the later handlebar switches, and I'd think it fairly unlikely possible. Frankly, many prefer the older style switches, but I've never heard of a switch that way either.

BMW is apparently committed to providing free fuel gauge senders (fuel strip) for these bikes until they finally install one that lasts. Whether this is an annoyance or not depends, maybe, as I for one fill up based on mileage as I had to do in the "good old days" prior to fuel gauges.

Thanks for the info, i stopped at the local bmw dealer they have a 2011 for sale - i do like the controls/looks of it better - but its another 5k more vs the 09 (abit less options).

it appears scratched bags are a norm on these bikes lol?

ESA equiped?

If it's an ESA model make sure it cycles through the preload levels...

If it has ESA you should see a switch/button on the left handlebar with ESA on it. The ESA switch cycles the preload and the dampening depending on the duration of it being held down. A quick press will show you what it's current preload/dampening position is. Add additional quick presses and it will cycle through the 3 dampening settings. BOTH the front and rear have dampening valves but only the rear has a preload motor which adjusts the tension on the spring and as a result will raise (1+luggage and 2up) and lower the rear end of the bike.

To test: When the bike is running depress the ESA button and hold it down for a couple of seconds, you should see the display flash and change the as it goes into it's next position. dep[ending on where it currently rests will determine if you should feel it rising or lowering.

If it's an ESA model make sure it cycles through the preload levels...

If it has ESA you should see a switch/button on the left handlebar with ESA on it. The ESA switch cycles the preload and the dampening depending on the duration of it being held down. A quick press will show you what it's current preload/dampening position is. Add additional quick presses and it will cycle through the 3 dampening settings. BOTH the front and rear have dampening valves but only the rear has a preload motor which adjusts the tension on the spring and as a result will raise (1+luggage and 2up) and lower the rear end of the bike.

To test: When the bike is running depress the ESA button and hold it down for a couple of seconds, you should see the display flash and change the as it goes into it's next position. dep[ending on where it currently rests will determine if you should feel it rising or lowering.

ok so esa only works when bike is running? the 11 has 4k on it, so i hope the esa works, the 09 has 9k but i will test it as you mentioned thank you!!

ok so esa only works when bike is running? the 11 has 4k on it, so i hope the esa works, the 09 has 9k but i will test it as you mentioned thank you!!

The dampening will cycle through but the manual advises preload needs the motor running ie full power of the battery. :thumb

And it might take a minute or so once your selection has been made. So be patient.

Make sure all recall and service bulletins have been addressed and there are a few...rear wheel hub, fuel pump connectors, previously mention fuel strip and maybe one or two more.

Make sure all recall and service bulletins have been addressed and there are a few...rear wheel hub, fuel pump connectors, previously mention fuel strip and maybe one or two more.

thank you

i'm really leaning toward the 2011 now. It has is the color i like, radio, body style/hand controls i like more, has a top case, 10 mins from my house vs 1 hour, Stability control and less miles 4k vs 9k (which isn't really a big diff in my book). i need to make that decision if all that is worth the additional 5k more to me.

I have a 2011 RT and am really happy with my purchase. I always believe when buying preowned to go with newer and lower mileage if possible. Depending on budget of course.

I have a 2011 RT and am really happy with my purchase. I always believe when buying preowned to go with newer and lower mileage if possible. Depending on budget of course.

Thats usually my thought too, plus the 2011 being a more option loaded bike, the resale will be better usually..

decided to put a deposit on the 11 - has a open campaign to fix the switch(s) i guess - prob grab it next week sometime

Back