• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Two Jakes . . .

mieczkow

Tom Mieczkowski
Comrades:

I am for the first time going to replace the fuel filters on my K75S. Getting off the filler cap etc. not a problem. Seeing the in-line cartridge filter (filter #1), and comprehending how to replace it - no problem.

However, in studying the parts fiche I have noticed the "second filter" (hence the two jakes) - the sort of baskety-type filter which appears to go on the distal end of the fuel pump assembly. Meaning, if I am interpreting the drawing correctly, that I need to remove the fuel pump in order to replace this second filter unit. Replacing the inline filter is a piece of cake. However, I have not ever taken the fuel pump out of my bike before, an act which seems necessary to replace filter #2. Editorially, I am forced to comment on filter #2, that it looks an awful lot like those "permanent filters" you buy for your Mr. Coffee machine so you don't use paper ones. But, I digress . . . .

Question: :dunno

1. How hard and or risky is it to pull out the fuel pump? Is there something (not having done this before) that I need to be aware of so I don't mess something up in extracting the fuel pump? Am I correct in assuming that the fuel pump must come out to replace this second filter?

2. Is it really necessary to replace this baskety/plastic cage type filter? How often? Same interval as the in-line cartrigde filter?

Any advice/enlightment is much appreciated!

fuel pump

Howdy!
the fuel pump can be pulled out without any problem. The mount that the pump sits in has 2 hooks or latches that connects to the aluminum frame. I have had to replace that mount on both k100 bikes I have owned. The filter on the bottom of the fuel pump does click over a ridge on the pump.
Wiring to the pump is easy too. Smaller diameter wire and larger diameter wire or rather the clips for the right posts.
I have been amazed at all the crud in the bottom of these tanks. So its good to keep the filters! Usually I replace the main fuel filter once a year.
I am riding the beemer most of the year soo figure between 15and 20K for that. The fuel pump filter I don't bother with unless there is needed work around the fuel pump.

Get those screw tight on the fuel filter... Or you will be washing your hands in the high test liquid! been there.. done that.... too many times... heh

tim lindstrom
91 k100lt

Back