• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The safety factor of my Metzler ME88 on the rear and the lazer front

cafecubano

So my question, for anyone that may have experiance with these tires, is one of safety.
My mechanic just slapped on my first new pair of shoes on my K75s. Metzler ME88 on the rear and the lazer front.
My question is how safe are these tires on the twisties? I have been riding for a total of 3 months. I live in the bay area so soon after familiarizing myself with the bike, my twisty training began. The group that I ride with (twice a month) loves the twisties up and down the bay area.
The bridgestones S11 that came with the bike allowed me to tough the pegs, which I only did a hand full of times and still surprizes is me that my skill level has gotten that much better in that short time span.
When my mechanic asked me how aggessive I am on the twisties I wasn't to sure how to answer. Because I am a fairly new rider I have been pretty conservative, but it was nice to know that I could tough the pegs with no problems with the S11.
anyway I should go to work now but any feedback would be great before I go on twistie adventure this weekend with the fellows and females.

Thank you:wave

I believe that Metzler recommends yor tire combo for the old K bikes on their website. The only problem I have read about is the Lazer front tire tends to follow raingrooves. That was my concern after seeing the center groove in the tread pattern.

I wouldn't think Metzler would recommend a dangerous combo.

I purchased ME 880s for that reason and they corner great, although I'm too old to 'touch the pegs'. If I did that, I'd probably touch my ass to the pavement.

Ralph Sims

I ran the ME88 rear, ME33 front combination for over 300,000 miles on my K75 and had all the grip I ever needed. On the street I am a moderately agressive rider. I used that bike and those tires several times at Reg Pridmore's CLASS or Jason Pridmore's STAR on-track school and they were fine, even when tochng down pegs a few times.

Regardless of tires I am pretty conservative in the rain. I've been asked , "Don't you trust your tires" to which I usually respond, "Sure I trust my tires - it is the pavement I don't trust."

So my question, for anyone that may have experiance with these tires, is one of safety.
My mechanic just slapped on my first new pair of shoes on my K75s. Metzler ME88 on the rear and the lazer front.
My question is how safe are these tires on the twisties? I have been riding for a total of 3 months. I live in the bay area so soon after familiarizing myself with the bike, my twisty training began. The group that I ride with (twice a month) loves the twisties up and down the bay area.
The bridgestones S11 that came with the bike allowed me to tough the pegs, which I only did a hand full of times and still surprizes is me that my skill level has gotten that much better in that short time span.
When my mechanic asked me how aggessive I am on the twisties I wasn't to sure how to answer. Because I am a fairly new rider I have been pretty conservative, but it was nice to know that I could tough the pegs with no problems with the S11.
anyway I should go to work now but any feedback would be great before I go on twistie adventure this weekend with the fellows and females.

Thank you:wave

I believe those are the exact tires that were put on my '95 K75 (4,815 original miles) Saturday. I haven't had any rain since the tires were put on, but I did notice like the other poster said that the tires followed the rain grooves in the road. At first, I thought a tire was under-inflated. It wasn't bad but I pay attention to anything that doesn't seem normal.

Checked the inflation right away front and rear and they were fine. I like the tires but just be aware they do seem to track a little with grooved roads.

Tires are quiet, seem to have decent grip although I haven't yet touched either peg. Since you're new to riding, and I'm sure they'll tell you this at install, be aware that for about the first 100 miles, you won't have full grip. Ask them when they put on the tires.

My tires were low miles but they were 12 years old so why take chances. You'll love the K75 - I do!

Regards,

Randy Kasal

We ran those tires on a K75RT, owned it for 12 years. NW Montana gets rain and has twisties as much as, if not more than anyone (other than those riding in the Cascades). We also ran that combo on the 750cc Yamaha; rode both bikes to Glacier National Park lots of times. Loved the tires. You should get good mileage from them, too.

thank you for your feedback

Thank you all for the input. After reading your relplies I feel better about taking the tire out on to the twisties. I am enjoying the bike and it just looks really cool.:brow

Attachments

• b&w.jpg
    b&w.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 224
After I fit a set of new tires on a bike, I give the tread and sidewalls a scrub with a handful or two of dry horticultural peat moss to absorb and remove any of the remaining oil-like compound that tires seem to come coated with these days.

PT9766

fwiw- I've been told by tire distributors that the most effective method for gettng rid of the tire-mold release residue is heat. Once the tires have gone thru a heat ing, theyu're clean. That's why dealers ahve recommended taking it easy for the first 50-100 miles. you're not trying to physically remove the compuond, it has to be chemically removed.
If you think about it, that really makes more sense than needing/trying to physically remove the stuff. if you're riding, and it takes physical contact to remove the slippery goo- you will ALWAYS be encountering new slippery parts of the tire. If its just getting the tires up to operating temp, then just riding will get you there.

As to the original question- yeah, ME33 Laser matched with ME88 rear is just dandy. If you find that you're not ecstatic with that combo, and want more stick/lean factor, try a 55A on the rear.

Back