• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The National; once again, thru Chicago

the Wizard of Oz
I post each year when lots of riders might have the reasonable option to come thru Chicago on their way to the Nat'l. And once again I say, if you give it just a little thought, you could enjoy it. Or at the very least not be so frightened, frustrated...and some other "F-word" (not THAT "F-word"). like ...foolish.

Just for starters, if you try to take the freeways/ tollways at rush hour you're asking for practice slow-riding. And you'll get it. Rush hours are approximately from 7:30 a.m. to maybe 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. weekdays, and maybe 3:00- 6:30 or 7:00 p.m. Right square in the middle of those time slots is obviously gonna be the pits, and the outer edges, not quite so bad. they're approximations. Generally, outside these hours you can fly thru if that's what you need.

BUT if you have the time to stop, it's a great city!!! So much to do and see--theatre, restaurants, music, art, shopping on The Mag' Mile! And this year, CUBS BASEBALL! The lake and lakefront are spectacular. You can visit the Art Institute of Chicago (best art museum in America, TripAdvisor), or Steppenwolf Theatre (home of John Malkovich, Rondi Reed from Mike & Molly, and Gary Sinise...Lt. Dan!).

You could take 41 North from over by Indiana, see the Mies van der Rohe architecture, the skyline, the north shore mansions. You could get a REAL Chicago dog. Real pizza. And then cut west back to the slab from the northern suburbs. or reverse.

PM me and come see a really swell production of the Tony Award winning "City of Angels," a wonderful and really terrific Larry Gilbert/ Cy Coleman musical. No kidding. I'm in it, and can even get discount theatre tix, (sometimes discounted rooms), at the Marriott Resort in Lincolnshire, north of the city, near the tollway, where the theatre is housed.

It's really a wonderful city. Just because you're from a smaller town or out in the boonies, don't let the size and the traffic, and the rep' scare you away. Be smart about it, and you can enjoy it. I live here, and I love it!

ride safe, and have a ball whatever you do on your way to and from the beer tent!

Last edited:
Being a long lost native of Chicago, I want to endorse the post on traveling through Chicago. It is a great town to visit, and if possible take a day or two to visit. One of the best places to go is to take in a Cubs baseball game if they are in town. An afternoon game. It was a sad day when they put in the lights.
The museums down along Lake Shore Drive are fantastic. I spent a lot of time in my youth at the Science and Industry Museum, home of the U505 submarine, a coal mine, and many other items of interest

Thru Chicago

I've done the burn a few times. I tried to pass from 10:00AM-2:00PM, or after 10:00PM. It's always served me well. Just put your head down and go. Coming from Detroit, it was hardly a lay-over place for me. A great city, for sure.

Don't be discouraged when traffic slows in Indiana, it will pick up again in Wisconsin.

Back