• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Celebration: Our Club's 50th Anniversary in 2022 National Rally - Springfield MO!

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have the microbreweries set up their own vendor booths with some outdoor/ indoor seating areas depending on the layout of the rally site...
I didn't go for the $ 20 beer fest but bought a few tasty treats at $3 each afterwards. I found that indoor area in GF rather dark and unpleasant to spend any time in btw... YMMV

I found the beer tent (more like an old Quonset Hut) a very disappointing experience as the bottles and cans in a tub of ice just couldn't hold a candle to the quality and camaraderie of MadDog and his Minions dispensing draft beer. I quickly ran over to the Beerfest to see if tickets were still available and thankfully they were. Had a great time there. My one suggestion would be to tone down the entertainment. The beer facilities are where I often reunite with old friends and cement relationships with new friends. Due to the smallness of the building and the loud music carrying on a conversation was very difficult. It seemed others were having the same experience.

Pete

I found the beer tent (more like an old Quonset Hut) a very disappointing experience as the bottles and cans in a tub of ice just couldn't hold a candle to the quality and camaraderie of MadDog and his Minions dispensing draft beer.
Pete

This, right here.

I missed the 2021 Rally for the first time since Moodus in '94 and only the second time since Missoula 1, 1984. Had I wished I might have found something I didn't like at every single one I attended. There is always room to change and improve. Almost every person on this Forum knows my disdain for the decision to have a rally at Bloomsburg, PA. But that said, dislikes can be explained without maligning members who did their best to make each rally as good as it could be. Please email any Board members with suggestions for improvement, and anybody with good ideas for sites should forward them to the office or Board to be forwarded to the site selection committee. Thanks.

Did you have time to check it out?

Sorry I did not. I was dodging heavy storms the day I got to Springfield and it was raining the following morning when I left. But I met another MOA member staying at the same Hampton Inn I was in and he commented on what a nice site it's going to be for 2022.

I missed the 2021 Rally for the first time since Moodus in '94 and only the second time since Missoula 1, 1984. Had I wished I might have found something I didn't like at every single one I attended. There is always room to change and improve. Almost every person on this Forum knows my disdain for the decision to have a rally at Bloomsburg, PA. But that said, dislikes can be explained without maligning members who did their best to make each rally as good as it could be. Please email any Board members with suggestions for improvement, and anybody with good ideas for sites should forward them to the office or Board to be forwarded to the site selection committee. Thanks.

Well stated my friend!
And comments that may resurface as a reminder.

Which reminds me;
I've always communicated as being a proponent of having a contract requirement that allows MOA a 4-6 week in advance of the Rally...
a comprehensive "site review".
For looking at everything that involves the grounds/facilities, and that affect's our members safety and rally experience.
And at two weeks before the Rally; follow up on the areas identified.

I truly believe from site selection until our arrival... some of our past choices have suffered deterioration,
they are simply not maintained or improved upon.
With seventeen years of annual rally attendance, I've either witnessed the result of poor site selection...
or nobody holding the facility accountable and correcting issues before our week of intended enjoyment.

We can improve on this fact if we choose too.

John Lang
Safety Chairman
2021 Great Falls Rally

Just my $.02 but I have attended 11 MOA National Rallies since 2003, which was my first. Honestly I have enjoyed them ALL. Yes some locations better than others but I understand the efforts and work that it takes to pull this off and truly appreciate all the work done to make these happen. Probably my least favorite was Lima, OH and my favorite was West Bend, WI. But that's just me. Some were hotter than others but you can't plan the weather. (I don't camp so heat is not an issue) Heck one of the hottest for me was Essex Junction, VT where we got rooms at St. Micheals College with minimal A/C. But ALL have been a blast. Already planning for Springfield in 2022. Guess you can't please all the people all the time. Thanks to all who put these events together.

Please email any Board members with suggestions for improvement, and anybody with good ideas for sites should forward them to the office or Board to be forwarded to the site selection committee. Thanks.

Just be sure your ideas don’t conflict with anyone’s after-term MOA career plans… :ha

It might be nice to tie the club’s 50th to the marque’s Centennial of motorcycles in 2023, eh?

If there’s a time to figure out something with BMW, that time is now.

I have a seminar idea but I need people to email or PM me if they want to participate as I'm not really one to beg people.

The seminar was going to talk about well in a nutshell, "not living in the moment, people who just have to video & photograph everything" and the premise is that there are people who want to ride without technology, comms, camera, GPS.. Good for them. But there are others like me that even before I had social media, would photograph and video tape everything. I just like taking pictures. I have daily audio recordings of myself journaling 25 years ago just something I've always enjoyed which is journaling and scrapbooking.

So those of us who do like recording our rides in photo/video/audio form, what are some best ways to do that without making it your entire thing. Like I can go out for 4 hours, take a dozen great photos, edit it down to an 8 minute video with a couple of camera shots and it doesn't really impede my ride and so I have learned how to and can share some of my advice on how I do that but I don't want to do a 1-man-panel so maybe there are others here who are photographers or videographers who wanted to share tools of the trade & best-practices.

---

I deep down want to do some sort of motorcycle film festival @ the rally but I don't think we have the critical mass of videographers to make that possible but I'd like to open up submissions to people to submit 5 minute videos and people can vote on their favorite. Winner gets a GoPro hero 9 and microphone kit and a gimbal for their cell phone.

It might be nice to tie the club’s 50th to the marque’s Centennial of motorcycles in 2023, eh?

If there’s a time to figure out something with BMW, that time is now.

I started researching that a few years ago during BMW’s 100 year celebration, which was held at Laguna Seca. There is a massive amount of cool information on-line and in BMW’s archives. Since then I’ve built quite the bookmark list, and at the event, I spoke at length with Fred Jakobs (BMW’s Heritage cheese), and also made a presentation there about the history of Adventure Riding. (I rode to the event on a Honda VFR1200X). Mark Buche {a friend of mine for about 10 years now) is BMW Motorrad NAs Heritage guy.

If it were me, I’d be building a team of volunteers with research, writing, photo/video and social media skills with the goal of creating a series of short heritage videos (#MotorradMinutes ™) and post them across the social sphere, along with links to an MOA micro site that provides more info and an incentive to join.

This would be a fun and engaging membership experience and (assuming we boost the posts so that we don’t just advertise to ourselves) it would serve to increase awareness, interest and positive purchase decision to join our club.

I also think there are excellent opportunities to collaborate with BMW NA for Heritage Events. And ways to tie in our advertising/marketing partners.

Last, please see my post earlier in this thread about developing a membership drive that plays out at our rally.

Ian

Ps-> you know who is also all over this and has great contacts in Germany? Fellow member Will Guyan.

Last edited:
I have a seminar idea but I need people to email or PM me if they want to participate as I'm not really one to beg people.

Your idea is on the right track, my advice to you is that you need to beg in a “certain way.” :nod :ha

As a director, you are ideally positioned to do this. I’ve literally “begged” hundreds of volunteers to support our club.

Beer Gardems

Would like to thank everyone who posted kind thoughts about me and the beer garden ops. It has always been a pleasure to see MOA members sign up year after year. Great friends. Im sure that there is some role for me in the future. Have been in contact recently with the "organizers". Like I've told my wife of 35 years, " Im not going anywhere, get used to it!" LOL

MADDOG past BG Chair and future beer monger {hopefully}:drink BTW according to science...beer IS a solution

The seminar was going to talk about well in a nutshell, "not living in the moment, people who just have to video & photograph everything" and the premise is that there are people who want to ride without technology, comms, camera, GPS.. Good for them. But there are others like me that even before I had social media, would photograph and video tape everything. I just like taking pictures. I have daily audio recordings of myself journaling 25 years ago just something I've always enjoyed which is journaling and scrapbooking.

So those of us who do like recording our rides in photo/video/audio form, what are some best ways to do that without making it your entire thing. Like I can go out for 4 hours, take a dozen great photos, edit it down to an 8 minute video with a couple of camera shots and it doesn't really impede my ride and so I have learned how to and can share some of my advice on how I do that but I don't want to do a 1-man-panel so maybe there are others here who are photographers or videographers who wanted to share tools of the trade & best-practices.

---

I deep down want to do some sort of motorcycle film festival @ the rally but I don't think we have the critical mass of videographers to make that possible but I'd like to open up submissions to people to submit 5 minute videos and people can vote on their favorite. Winner gets a GoPro hero 9 and microphone kit and a gimbal for their cell phone.

I'm in! While I like to ride with limited technology I also like to capture my experiences and be able to share them. Any help in making that process easier and less intrusive to my ride would be great. Whenever I watch a good mc video such as some done by Sterling Norvin (spelling) I always think to myself WOW how much work it must be to produce such quality stuff.

Your idea is on the right track, my advice to you is that you need to beg in a “certain way.” :nod :ha

As a director, you are ideally positioned to do this. I’ve literally “begged” hundreds of volunteers to support our club.

Hah. I think one thing you'll notice about me in real life and online and titles don't mean ****. People may treat you differently due to your title but title doesn't exclude you from cleaning toilets, nor does it guarantee or equal people supporting your terrible ideas. Adam the director isn't entitled to support just like I'm not above mopping floors. I'm a member like all of you and ALWAYS will be. So when it comes to the panel, I probably will have to beg a little bit :p

I'm in! While I like to ride with limited technology I also like to capture my experiences and be able to share them. Any help in making that process easier and less intrusive to my ride would be great. Whenever I watch a good mc video such as some done by Sterling Norvin (spelling) I always think to myself WOW how much work it must be to produce such quality stuff.

OMG same. Sterling is a filmmaker and anyone who has tried to make a compelling video blog of a trip has to learn first hand how difficult and time consuming it is to do.
1.Plan, 2. Pack, 3. Shoot, 4. Edit, 5. Tell a story and it easily makes an 8 hour ride a 30 hour endeavor all in to make a video that a few hundred people will watch on their smartphone. It's an art to do what Sterling does.

I'm also thinking of people that are lesser known like for example, MotoGrace. He's been putting out videos for a while. They're not artsy or compelling but he consistently just shares fun rides and I enjoy his commentary - https://www.youtube.com/user/damytzeus

Documenting an adventure has to be for us. we can't do it for other people because being Sterling or Itchy Boots or whoever is popular takes a lot of effort, some style and time. But I think a panel would be great because we all have some tips & tricks that we can share.

I've learned rear facing cameras sounds like a good idea in practice but the video I get by mounting a GoPro to my back or tail-rack never gives me the video that is usable due to vibration and the angle so I've stopped doing it.

OMG same. Sterling is a filmmaker and anyone who has tried to make a compelling video blog of a trip has to learn first hand how difficult and time consuming it is to do.

No kidding! Heck I just did a ride report with photos of my Coast to Coast MOA Great Falls trip 32 days and 8013 miles. And just taking the time each night to upload photos, edit photos, create the wording ... a lot of time and effort. And mine was just photos !! Any ideas or thoughts on how to make that easier I'm all in.

Hah. I think one thing you'll notice about me in real life and online and titles don't mean ****. People may treat you differently due to your title but title doesn't exclude you from cleaning toilets, nor does it guarantee or equal people supporting your terrible ideas.

You didn’t catch my meaning, sorry, it’s sorta difficult to communicate in text.

Not trying to say that being a Director gives you some sort of special dispensation. Trying to say that, because of your position as a leader, you can communicate with better insight to the vision, need and process of accomplishing something through coordinated volunteerism.

Probably the hardest part of accomplishing a goal via volunteerism is the herding of enthusiastic kitttens. damhikt

You didn’t catch my meaning, sorry, it’s sorta difficult to communicate in text.

Not trying to say that being a Director gives you some sort of special dispensation. Trying to say that, because of your position as a leader, you can communicate with better insight to the vision, need and process of accomplishing something through coordinated volunteerism.

Probably the hardest part of accomplishing a goal via volunteerism is the herding of enthusiastic kitttens. damhikt

I get it now! Yep, I'm gonna have to steal your enthusiastic kittens analogy. I do that every day with my software engineering interns. I have about 30 a year I'm in charge of. Very excited but not sure what to do with their natural abilities.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to make that easier I'm all in.

It is much easier if you access professionally-developed templates for your assets (graphics, effects, audio/music, etc.)… this is something the MOA could do, should it be so inclined.

Also important is people using a common software. In my mind, we would have several capable editors to assemble assets provided by other members instead of everyone having to “get a Mac.”

To get a series of volunteer-driven videos that have consistent production values takes planning and teamwork… this was the vision I outlined at the BoD meeting in Lebanon, TN. It’s a disciplined process and the volunteers have to qualify and commit to goals. It is never something that happens at random.

Back