• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Brickley twin in NYT Mag section?

the Wizard of Oz
Anybody familiar w the Brickley Engine? There was a short bit in The NYT Mag section a couple Sundays ago; their alphabetized "cool new ideas" issue. Sounds like a flat twin. He's in Austin TX, I believe.

Just curious. haven't googled it yet.

Yes, a 4 - cylinder

Yes, a 4- cylinder.
And what's more ÔÇô not a "flat 4", but a "vertical 4" ?
that is: unless the resulting rotation at the crank is somehow transposed 90?? to power a shaft or chain.

I heard about it, and looked at Brickley's website. I'm no engineer, but still:

a) There's a whole lotta gubbins in there as compared to a conventional motor. Wouldn't they add to the friction? And valve gear's not even shown; even a vertically-oriented single cylinder head on each side would, like BMW twins, require two drives and two cams or pairs, which is - our preferences aside - neither particularly elegant nor efficient.

b) Yes slipper pistons have less friction...but isn't the state of the art, at least in current Japanese bikes, that pistons are almost disk-like anyway? What's different here?

c) The little extra arms connected to the conrods are pivoted at the non-conrod ends, and would allow the pistons to rock in the bores as they move. Doesn't seem like a recipe for maintaining the geometry required by slipper pistons.

Oh. ...I thought the animation picture ended at the inlet and exhaust valves. ie. didn't show the pistons at all. One of each on each side.

No?

Still interesting to me as I continue my little quest for some understanding of how the internal combustion engine, particularly the BMW Type 247, works.
I'm barely past the point at which I keep saying, "Holy crap! Is that what engineers do? How in the hell does it get manufactured? Wait! All those moving bits have to work precisely in concert, don't they?!" and other exclamations like that. At the ripe old age of 58, I'm starting to see the fun involved in having a little grease under my nails.

Sure, he's reduced the number of crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, but they all just moved (and multiplied) to the heaviest, most Rube Goldbergesque reciprocating assembly I've ever seen.
Sure he left the valvetrain(s) out, he must be working on pushrod and rocker driven desmodromics for those minor details.
I'd say throw in an old Triumph twin plunger pump for the oil, but I have no idea how to circulate it to all of those pivot points.

Back