• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The barn Queen

ROBOB100S

Vancouver Wa.
I have found out about a 1973 R75/5 in a barn. Under cover for 12 years, I will have a chance to see her tomorrow afternoon. One owner 17000 white toaster tank, I have seen some pictures of her on a cell phone, not bad. Anyone have some pointers for me. Has to what to look for lwb? swb? Bad stuff to avoid?
HeÔÇÖs asking $2000. What do think, Robert

Barn find

Price seems fair if it truly is a low mileage bike. Of course check for obvious damage such as dents, bent parts etc. If you buy it, don't even think about starting it until you've changed all fluids, replaced plugs, points condenser and clean the carbs. Anything rubber on the bike will have to be replaced including tires and tubes. If it were me, I'd also remove and clean out fuel tank and spray contact cleaner on all electrical connections while unplugging and replugging connectors. Wouldn't hurt to service wheel and steering head bearings and lube all cables. If you do the above, you should be able to put this bike in service and expect a reliable classic. Once on the road you'll be able to tell if it needs brake or other service. If you can't set timing or balance carbs, get help. Everything else is pretty simple. New battery too. Trying to start the bike without doing maintenance would be a big mistake.

Ride Safe
Rideoften

Nice find.

Pleace show us pictures and any future work Thanks.:clap :clap

Mike pretty much covered the main items. Here are a few more -

SWB vs. LWB. AFAIK, the wheelbase was lengthened in mid-'73 production to provide a more stable ride as part of BMW's "continous improvement" policy. I do know that the welded extensions provided more room to remove/replace the battery without having to un-bolt the rear subframe.

Spline lube. Yep, that was an issue even back in 1973. If you feel like removing the rear wheel, check for wear/missing teeth.

Gas. R75/5 bikes were designed to run on premium leaded gas. Dual plugging was intended to allow use of lower octane gas, while special valves/seats were intended to prevent valve recession without the protection of lead. Does the bike have either upgrade? (There may be alternatives I'm not aware of.)

Extras. Tool kit? Tool kit tray? Air pump (pretty worthless for pumping up a flat but better than CO2)? Owner's manual? Seat/steering lock keys?

Back