• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

I worked the Ambassador Booth for two hours Thursday afternoon, and it was non-stop first time rally attendees. I would estimate 50% of them were under 40. My definition of a young BMW rider - given the costs of the bikes, and other lifestyle requirements to travel by bike - is 35+, so I found this encouraging.

I am very happy to hear this, hope on the horizon.

The Montana Club is seeing rapid growth with many of the new members being under 50. This is good; very good, but it may cause some angst among older, long-time members as the "kids" take control. Change is coming and for good or ill it may include some fundamental changes in the culture of the MOA. We may have some, or many, long-time members who leave with their noses out of joint, or stay and grumble deeply, loudly and often. Should be good times.

Great news! :thumb

The Montana Club is seeing rapid growth with many of the new members being under 50. This is good; very good, but it may cause some angst among older, long-time members as the "kids" take control. Change is coming and for good or ill it may include some fundamental changes in the culture of the MOA. We may have some, or many, long-time members who leave with their noses out of joint, or stay and grumble deeply, loudly and often. Should be good times.

Makes me wonder… who was it that put together the Brew Fest event, and who’s idea was it ?
It seemed to be a rousing success as a newer offering on the rally grounds.
If that’s the kind of stuff we have to suffer through because of youth… sign up some more please!

I worked the Ambassador Booth for two hours Thursday afternoon, and it was non-stop first time rally attendees. I would estimate 50% of them were under 40. My definition of a young BMW rider - given the costs of the bikes, and other lifestyle requirements to travel by bike - is 35+, so I found this encouraging.

That really is great news but makes sense when you think about it; the adventure touring market is on fire and the GS line is BMW’s biggest seller and that is the segment of motorcycling that is attracting those 30 to 50 year old riders.

Which brings me to another observation I had .... I was surprised to not see more “overlanding” type vendors i.e. the Mosko Moto type or camping type. I chatted with a lot of vendors and asked if they were having a good rally and most said it was great if not one of the best ever for them. Even the young folks selling the cool coffee press said they sold more than they ever expected. I attended the Overland Expo East in Virginia and you could not get close to the Mosko Moto booth there. I’m hoping this success and popularity of this segment will generate more vendor interest for future events. I compare the explosion of this adventure segment to the luxury touring segment that became so hot in the 80’s and 90’s and was actually what was the impetus for the Americade event.

That may very well be why BMW chose to attend the advrider event. It just all seems to make sense.

While some may not our or be interested in the adventure touring segment that’s where the market is moving. I think that positive interest is good for the overall industry and in turn for BMWMOA.

Makes me wonder… who was it that put together the Brew Fest event, and who’s idea was it ?
It seemed to be a rousing success as a newer offering on the rally grounds.
If that’s the kind of stuff we have to suffer through because of youth… sign up some more please!

The BrewFest was put together by Mark Johnson, the Vice President and soon to be President of the Montana BMW Riders. Mark is part of the younger crowd (40ish) that is breathing new life in our club. In addition to planning, coordinating and serving at BrewFest he also volunteered many hours with our committee.

The BrewFest was put together by Mark Johnson, the Vice President and soon to be President of the Montana BMW Riders. Mark is part of the younger crowd (40ish) that is breathing new life in our club. In addition to planning, coordinating and serving at BrewFest he also volunteered many hours with our committee.

Kudos to Mark for that! As a dedicated beer aficionado it was great! I hope to see something like this at future rallies - organizers take note. Pretty well just about everywhere in the country has a decent craft beer scene and local breweries, which I consider along with family owned restaurants the ultimate small, locally owned businesses. I think that becoming a thing at every rally would be a huge hit.

Kudos to Mark for that! As a dedicated beer aficionado it was great! I hope to see something like this at future rallies - organizers take note. Pretty well just about everywhere in the country has a decent craft beer scene and local breweries, which I consider along with family owned restaurants the ultimate small, locally owned businesses. I think that becoming a thing at every rally would be a huge hit.

I agree with that! The local brews are amazing for the most part with some better than others of course. Even though I didn't partake in the brew-fest, there were quite a few tasty treats available afterwards with very low price tag...:drink

Lolo Pass Po Po

I was heading not to the rally but east to west on Lolo pass on Friday of the rally. Saw a lot of bikes going east. Ran into a guy at a gas station said he was pulled over for 61 in a 50 on the pass. BTW most of the road is 50mph or less. Police officer gave him a warning. Later on the road near Lochsa Lodge, came around a corner and noted a dark car in the tree shadows ahead of me. Noted I was doing 53. Blue hazard police lights came on - and went off after a second or two. He did not turn after me. I can only assume he was giving me the signal to keep it slow. :blush

I was heading not to the rally but east to west on Lolo pass on Friday of the rally. Saw a lot of bikes going east. Ran into a guy at a gas station said he was pulled over for 61 in a 50 on the pass. BTW most of the road is 50mph or less. Police officer gave him a warning. Later on the road near Lochsa Lodge, came around a corner and noted a dark car in the tree shadows ahead of me. Noted I was doing 53. Blue hazard police lights came on - and went off after a second or two. He did not turn after me. I can only assume he was giving me the signal to keep it slow. :blush

Wow .... we rode the pass the Monday after the rally and did not see any LEO’s

Was a great ride and had to stop at Lochsa Lodge for breakfast

It always helps to have a "Bird Dog" out in front and a Radar detector on the dash when riding Lolo.

The LEOs that patrol the Idaho side are skilled. experienced, stealthy, and often unforgiving.

It is hard to recalibrate to 50 after Montana's 70.

Fantastic deal Mark!
Kudos' to you and team, the patron's REALLY enjoyed that couple hours of the afternoon.

Now we just gotta find a way to get the Vendor folks into the "refreshment"...
just imagine the shopping deals (and spending!) ...about 5pm after a couple hours of BeerFest!!!

It was much tighter in club camping. We tried to keep motorcycles out of the tent area and people tended to be cooperative. At mid afternoon on Thursday we began letting other campers in the club camping area. Letting people park their bikes in the tent means a single camper takes as much space as two tent only campers. It is also unsafe. When a camper wants to get into or out of the tent area the rider is navigating thru tents, stakes and tie-downs; perhaps at night, with people sleeping in tents and just maybe the rider has a few beers onboard.

In the two videos the camping did not look as crowded as some mentioned.

Where we camped at Des Moines it was tighter.

I saw the TV station filming at the rally early Thursday afternoon when there was still open space available. Wish they had filmed Saturday afternoon!
DP

If the G.F. Media would stop stereotyping by using the term "bikers"... and instead use "motorcyclist" or "riders", it would certainly please me.

I realize there may have been a few bikers there... I just didn't see them.

Tell Mark how appreciative I am for his hard work and effort putting this together. It was a slam dunk, and a grand slam, and any other sports metaphors I can think of for success. Rhonda really enjoyed it. I figured the Montana Club had a lot to do with the success of the rally… again, thanks to the Montana Club.

I figured the Montana Club had a lot to do with the success of the rally… again, thanks to the Montana Club.

This is the way it’s always been… the Montana club was instrumental to the Missoula Rally’s success in 1998. I got to stay with the local liaison and her hubby at their house in Lolo… on my way home from Alaska.

Everyone I spoke to that went to the microbrew event really enjoyed it. :1drink

Rally #18

I rode 2650 miles to the rally from Indiana. i wanted to see Arches and southern Utah. Arches was full but the ride to Moab was wonderful. A fellow at the BMW dealer in Salt Lake sent me to Bear Lake. That was awesome! I stayed in Great Falls downtown at the travel Lodge. The motel exceeded my expectations. Underground garage with elevator up to my room on 4th floor. Street vendors and sidewalk seating downtown was really nice. The rally was somewhat disappointing. Many vendors missing. No afternoon music in the beer Garden. The poor campers were jammed together. The Brewfest was packed, hot, and very little seating available. I left after an hour. The site seemed small. Hoping Missouri is better. Got home Monday night with 4140 on the odo.

Back