• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Test function of ESA II suspension ?

mattias_k1300

Is it possible to test if the ESA suspension is working without connecting the bike to a computer?

I have a 2009 k1300s with ESA 2.

You can use a GS911 to check for faults.
At a standstill you should be able to feel the bike raise or lower when changing the preload.
Don't know a good way to check dampening.

Dont have gs911. Wondering if possible without anything except the bike.

Feel it raise, do that still require gs911 or is it enough to just turn ignition on and change the suspension ?

is it enough to just turn ignition on and change the suspension ?

Sitting on the bike with it running, change the preload from one helmet to 2 helmets and you should feel the back of the bike raise a little. The front of the bike will not raise.

With the engine on but the engine NOT running, you may be able to hear the stepper motor change the damping settings on the front and rear shocks as you progress through the solo, solo with luggage, and rider with pillion and luggage settings.

Merry Christmas! :newtoy

With the engine on but the engine NOT running, you may be able to hear the stepper motor change the damping settings on the front and rear shocks as you progress through the solo, solo with luggage, and rider with pillion and luggage settings.

Merry Christmas! :newtoy

i thought the DAMPING settings front and rear only change through comfort, normal and sport modes. the spring PRELOAD on the rear shock only changes with solo, luggage and two up modes.

HO! HO! HO!:)

On my '06 RT the damping changes are silent. The difference in ride is quite noticeable on bumpy roads. Some say you can feel the difference at a standstill by bouncing the bike, but I've not tried it.

i thought the DAMPING settings front and rear only change through comfort, normal and sport modes. the spring PRELOAD on the rear shock only changes with solo, luggage and two up modes.

HO! HO! HO!:)

You are absolutely correct, sir. In my haste to respond I didn't have my thoughts correctly aligned (read: brain fart). I'm blaming Christmas Cheer. :dance

Last edited:
Back