• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Swing Arm and Drive Shaft repair.

G

getset

Howdy,

well my new to me 78 R100 needed the drive shaft boot replaced so in the process I figured I would replace the other parts associated with removal of the swingarm. I am however having a heck of a time removing the seals to get the bearings out. Any suggestions? I am hoping my bearings are in good shape, as they are listed at near $50 ea. to replace. Ouch!

Cheers!

J---

J -

You don't need to remove the bearings or seals (not sure what seals there are on the /7 in this area). What you need to remove are the swingarm pins. There's a thin nut inside the openings on each side of the swingarm. The nut requires a 27mm or 1-1/16" socket, probably with the outside of it turned down to fit inside the tube. Once the nut is turned off, you need an allen wrench to remove the pins.

Check these places to understand how to slide the swingarm back...these are websites for lubing the tranny input splines, but they describe how to move the swingarm.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/spline/

Note you don't have to separate the clutch mechanism, the cable, etc., if you're just trying to get the swingarm back.

In addition to that, you will need to remove the four bolts that connect the driveshaft to the output flange of the transmission. Your 10mm toolkit wrench should be sufficient. If the existing bolts are long with a lock washer, suggest you replace with the shorter bolts with NO lockwasher. Installation is with clean/dry threads, a little blue loctite, and a rag over the end of the wrench and a good grunt. That's enough.

Installing those pins takes a few special tools, which are readily available and a good torque wrench. Those links above talk about that.

thanks for the info.

I am going to do all the servicing that I can since I removed it all already. Might as well lube all those splines while I have it out. I think tomorrow I will head on down to my pals machine shop and try and make my own puller. The Northwoods puller gives me a direction to go in. Hopefully some combined knowledge will figure it out. Thanks for the links to all the different articles, they were inciteful.

The swing arm bearings are a standard size. When I replaced my R100's I went to a bearing supply house (Miller Bearing in my case) with an old one to size it and spent around $18 for both sides if I recall.

Good point, Dave.

Many, if not most, of the seals and bearings on an airhead are standard items, available at any good bearing supplier.

That is a wonderful thing to know. I have to admit I was rather shocked by the price tag. Today I begin the extraction exercise.

Back