• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suzuki DR650SE vs BMW G310GS

KTM 690 shows price is at ~$14,000 CAD. Are you speaking about a street ready KTM 300? I am not familiar with their line-up so only see KTM 300 models that list ~$11K -#13K CAD. I will clarify that I am interested in any bike that compares well (power, weight, rideable) with the original two I mentioned and is in the 300 - 650 cc range with a price no higher that the BMW 310.

I will clarify that I am interested in any bike that compares well (power, weight, rideable) with the original two I mentioned and is in the 300 - 650 cc range with a price no higher that the BMW 310.

Looks like you have a DR650 in your future. :D

I didn't check the pricing but it wouldn't surprise me if the KTM's were that much. They have some street bikes and as I said the new Adventure model is in the works. Don't know if the release is 2020 or not.

I will clarify that I am interested in any bike that compares well (power, weight, rideable) with the original two I mentioned and is in the 300 - 650 cc range with a price no higher that the BMW 310.

I think its an important ask is if your looking for a one up motorcycle. I think my 310GS is a one up bike other than maybe a short trip two up. I got rid of my X Challenge and have my 2013 G650 GS at BMW of Grand Rapids, MI on its way out (many extras) and my plan is to ride the 310 GS until the warranty runs out (3 years) and the see whats available. The ABS, FI, range to empty, tubeless tires and service intervals are plus features for me. I loved the service intervals on the X Challenge but could not reach the ground. I am at the point that I want to trade wrenching time for riding time.

The out the door price on the GS makes it easy to add a center stand, heated grips, windshield, soft bags, TPM and top box. The soft bags, TPM and top box can go to the next bike.

Another ask is how much time you going to spend burning up the freeway. The 310GS surprises me in that it seems to be working harder at 50 MPH than 70 MPH but an automatic ticket defeat system starts in at 80 MPH. It is no 650.

I bet they are both about the same on picking them up from the ground.

Its easier to add extra fuel capacity to the DR. The BMW Mothership just does not understand the importance of this in North America. Riding lawnmowers in many cases have larger gas tanks than the 310GS but as I said the range to empty feature is very accurate and helpful.

You can pick up well farkled DR for under 3K US while a used 310 GS will go for more.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Yea Wayne
That info that you can pick up a well farkled DR for under 3 k is some good information.
As I've mentioned before, if your patient, you can pick up great motorcycles SOO cheap. All 3 of my bikes were what I call screaming deals.
All excellent condition [ I don't really care for much wrenching ] for a song.

Don’t know if it is available in Canada but in the US we get the Versys 300. Very well finished, a proven jewel of an engine, ABS, liquid cooling, fast on the highway (for a 300). Easy to accessorize, 2 seat heights available, luggage, factory driving lights, etc. I think they might be made in Thailand but at a Kawasaki owned and operated plant. Good service intervals and parts at Kawasaki rates.

Worth looking at, anyway.

I think its an important ask is if your looking for a one up motorcycle.

Another ask is how much time you going to spend burning up the freeway. The 310GS surprises me in that it seems to be working harder at 50 MPH than 70 MPH but an automatic ticket defeat system starts in at 80 MPH. It is no 650.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Wayne, This is definitely a bike just for myself. I live near the edge of the city with an hour or slightly less to gravel and dirt , although riding in the foothills in the Rockies on a smaller displacement bike is a pleasant thing for me. Thanks for the added insight.

Last edited:
BMW G650X Challenge and BMW G650 XCountry

Should have said this earlier.

The X Challenge and X Country platform has way more power than the DR, fuel injection, ABS and excellent service intervals.

If your taller the X Challenge is the way to go and if your undertall (like myself) the X Country is worth a look.

Lots of people have used both for serious adventure riding.

If you go to the ADV Rider website you will see extensive threads on both.

I see several of them listed on Cycle Trader.

Only weakness is a lack of fuel capacity which can be solved by finding a Hot Rod Welding auxiliary tank.

When I started fooling around, and falling off my X Challenge, I wish I would have taken a harder look at the X Country.

The motors on this platform will make you smile.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Should have said this earlier.

The X Challenge and X Country platform has way more power than the DR, fuel injection, ABS and excellent service intervals.

If your taller the X Challenge is the way to go and if your undertall (like myself) the X Country is worth a look.

Lots of people have used both for serious adventure riding.

If you go to the ADV Rider website you will see extensive threads on both.

I see several of them listed on Cycle Trader.

Only weakness is a lack of fuel capacity which can be solved by finding a Hot Rod Welding auxiliary tank.

When I started fooling around, and falling off my X Challenge, I wish I would have taken a harder look at the X Country.

The motors on this platform will make you smile.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks, I will check out the X Country.

Yea Wayne
That info that you can pick up a well farkled DR for under 3 k is some good information.
As I've mentioned before, if your patient, you can pick up great motorcycles SOO cheap. All 3 of my bikes were what I call screaming deals.
All excellent condition [ I don't really care for much wrenching ] for a song.

I have not yet looked for used bikes since very few are listed during the dead of winter but soon... certainly there can be deals to be had.

Last edited:
Don’t know if it is available in Canada but in the US we get the Versys 300. Very well finished, a proven jewel of an engine, ABS, liquid cooling, fast on the highway (for a 300). Easy to accessorize, 2 seat heights available, luggage, factory driving lights, etc. I think they might be made in Thailand but at a Kawasaki owned and operated plant. Good service intervals and parts at Kawasaki rates.

I remember looking at them five years ago or so when I was looking for something else. Looks like today there is a Versus-X 300 selling for ~$6,700 CAD so in the same price range. Variable seat height is very nice to have. I can't say I have seen a lot of them around here but then again I haven't been riding gravel backroads much with my RT either. :)

I borrowed a buddy'd X whatever it as for a week, he had it farkled pretty nicely but to me the power just felt off, it definitely didn't have the punch of my 640. But it ran fine with no issues and I had a fun week.

That looks very interesting. It checks a lot of boxes: fuel injected; liquid-cooled; twin cylinder; <400 lbs; affordable purchase price.

When you say “fast on the highway for a 300”, can you offer any specifics about reasonable cruising and top speeds?

And a general question, not specific to the Versys, but why does there always seem to be such a big jump in displacement between the 300-class bikes, and then a big gap up to the 650-750 range? A 450-500 Versys or GS in a similar price and weight range would be very attractive. My biggest concern about these 300-ish cc bikes is highway riding...

When you say “fast on the highway for a 300”, can you offer any specifics about reasonable cruising and top speeds?

A 450-500 Versys or GS in a similar price and weight range would be very attractive. ...

The 300 Versys uses a bored or stroked version of the old Ninja 250 motor, which has been run on the 10 day Ironbutt sucessfully more than once. The Ironbutt 250 bike had more than 100k miles on it the last i saw it. Top speed and distance are not known issues with the 250 Ninja.

The 500 class is covered by Honda’s well regarded cb500x. I believe Visian has one. Factory accessories are also available for that model.

I borrowed a buddy'd X whatever it as for a week, he had it farkled pretty nicely but to me the power just felt off, it definitely didn't have the punch of my 640. But it ran fine with no issues and I had a fun week.

May have been something amiss? Specs say that the X has a little more HP, torque and lower dry weight.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

The 500 class is covered by Honda’s well regarded cb500x. I believe Visian has one. Factory accessories are also available for that model.

I checked the Honda out at the Motorcycle show today and really liked the look of it - especially the instrument panel. The 2020 version is selling for ~$7,800 here but the dealer did say they do have some 2019s they are selling for $500 less. Reviews I have read so far are quite positive.

I checked the Honda out at the Motorcycle show today and really liked the look of it - especially the instrument panel. The 2020 version is selling for ~$7,800 here but the dealer did say they do have some 2019s they are selling for $500 less. Reviews I have read so far are quite positive.

How does the off-pavement capability of the CB500X compare to bikes like the Versys, DR, or GS? Would it be limited to gravel and fireroads, or can it handle more challenging terrain than that?

Also, on the paved-road capability of these smaller 300-class bikes, I saw this encouraging post from a very experienced rider in another recent thread here:

.... In the past two summers I have put over 20,000 miles touring mostly but not entirely on two lane paved roads on a small dual purpose motorcycle. Last summer we rode from Texas to Tennessee to Virginia to British Columbia and back to Texas on our G310GS bikes....

Not necessarily interstate speeds, but that was a lot of ground covered on a G310GS.

Back