• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Summer Solstice Ride - Open Invitation

BrianV

Sesquipedalian
Every couple of years, the BMW Club of Houston engages in a typically Texas diversion - cross the state, border to border, while the sun shines. We call it the Summer Solstice Ride. Other call it... well, never mind - it may be 100+ across the final 300 miles or so - degrees F, not MPH (official disclaimer).

On June 19, a few brave souls and anyone who wants to join in will do it again...

Starting at sunrise (6:13 am) at the rest stop at mile marker 880 just east of Orange, we will chase the sun across Texas to Anthony at the New Mexico border ÔÇô attempting to reach it by sunset (8:14pm). 880 miles in 14 hours and 1 minute. Twilight to Twilight is 5:46 am to 8:43 pm ( 14 hours 57 minutes).

Iron Butt riders - her's your chance to do a Bun Burner 1000 all in the same state. We have a separate starting point that will give you the extra 120 miles before the start at Orange.

Hotels at the end of the day:

BMW Club of Houston has secured a special rate of $ 69 for Saturday night, 6/19, at the Best Western Oasis of the Sun / 9401 South Desert Boulevard, Anthony, Tx. 79821. Call 915-886-3333 to confirm you room. Pool ÔÇô Hot Tub ÔÇô Free Breakfast ÔÇô Hi Speed Internet. Whirlpool rooms available for a bit more.

Overflow / Backup Hotel is the Super 8 at 100 Park North Drive in Anthony. Call 915-886-2888. Standard King rate is $ 61. Next door to the Flying J at ÔÇ£exit 0ÔÇØ (no pool or breakfast).

For more info, PM or email me and I'll see to it that we get in touch with you.

-Brian

If I'm still puttering around here bored, I will certainly join you all! Just more practice for my first big road trip, and another great excuse to spend some quality time on my favorite machine!

T

Original Route

Does anyone plan on going the hard way?

When I started this ride in 1993, Pete E. and I got off of I-10 in San Antonio, and traveled US90 to Van Horn.

Dave
Round Rock, TX

I'll be in Montana:laugh...my excuse for NOT being on 880 miles of I-10 all the way across the state...

shoot me now...but y'all have fun! I'll do 800 miles in a day...but NO Interstates for me:bolt

Does anyone plan on going the hard way?

When I started this ride in 1993, Pete E. and I got off of I-10 in San Antonio, and traveled US90 to Van Horn.

Dave
Round Rock, TX

Who are you? Dave doesn't come to mind when my dad and I came up with the "Summer Solstice Ride". No offense intended.

Who are you? Dave doesn't come to mind when my dad and I came up with the "Summer Solstice Ride". No offense intended.

None taken.
Below is a scan of BMW Owners News, August 1997, Page 6. the following text is taken from that page.

"BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

I hate to rain on anyone's parede, but your article "Racing the Sun" gives the impression that some yahoo from Houston invented the Summer Solstice Tour across Texas.

In the Spring of 1993, I proposed the idea to Robert Krull, co-owner of Lone Star BMW-Triumph in Austin, and he said he had never heard of anyone doing that. Since Robert knows everything BMW I trusted his answer.

On a Saturday two days before the 1993 Solstice, Pete Evans and I met at Lone Star and rode to Vinton, Louisiana. The next morning we hooked up with a third rider (who did not finish), and at sunrise we headed west and into tropical storm Arlene. By San Antonio we dried out and had a nice trip to New Mexico. However, since we were not riding Gold Wings we left the Interstate in San Antonio and took U.S. 90 to Van Horn. To our surprise we got to spend the night in Vinton, New Mexico.

All of this is documented in several 1993 Hill County BMW Riders newsletters. The Houston Club may have done it, but we done it first.

David D Haun
Austin, Texas"

Last edited:
Alternate Date

If anyone has scheduling prolems with Saturday. I am planning on doing this SUNDAY. Also, I'll be cutting off about 500 miles of I-10, between Orange/Houston, and San Antonio/Van Horn.

Back