• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Strange rattling sound on fast acceleration

kzilla

and also when stopping quickly on a r1100rt. It sounds like pebbles being thrown up and around the wheel housing, say on a car, but I know that it can't be the case everytime even if it were pebbles. Just an example of the type of intermittant sound. Imagine a rain stick with only one or two pebbles inside and louder and faster.

It only happens when I go for quick speed as in passing a dangerous cager on thier phone or asleep at the wheel.

Is this the ABS?
a nut or bolt loose somewhere?

I'm a recent, proud, and happy owner of a 2000 r1100rt. Came over from a 85k100rs, non abs. There are a few new sounds to get used to, such as the ABS engaging on first ride, the clunk of the clutch, etc.

However this sounds got me stumped and I can't find mention of it or anything like it in the forum.:banghead

More: it does sound like something moving from front to the rear (not acutally moving that far just the perception of the sound in anycase) on acceleration and opposite for breaking.

Any help for this r newbie would be very grateful!:brad

I get the same noise on my '04 R1150RT. At "highway speeds" in 6th gear when I really get on it I hear a rattle exactly like pebbles coming up from the road surface and hitting the metal on the exhaust at the bottom of the bike, directly under me.

I haven't solved it yet, but it sounds like a heat shield rattling.

Stay tuned...

I get the same noise on my '04 R1150RT. At "highway speeds" in 6th gear when I really get on it I hear a rattle exactly like pebbles coming up from the road surface and hitting the metal on the exhaust at the bottom of the bike, directly under me.

I haven't solved it yet, but it sounds like a heat shield rattling.

Stay tuned...

I have that as well. I hear it under light to heavy accelleration. I haven't found the source either. :banghead

I'm a recent, proud, and happy owner of a 2000 r1100rt. Came over from a 85k100rs, non abs. There are a few new sounds to get used to, such as the ABS engaging on first ride, the clunk of the clutch, etc.

Maybe preignition. Try using a higher octane fuel.

John

pinging

my 2000 gs did that as well, i was told thats how they are. i had 95k on it before i traded it in and it still ran like a top(noise one).

Sounds like the old pinging problem to me

most def, roll-ons from 2500-3000 rpm in the higher gears is where you'll hear it

oddly, i switched from 91 octane to 89 and it went away almost entirely. i think when gas prices go up, the higher octane gas sits around longer, and old 91 is worse for the bike than new 89.

That would be pinging. NOT a good thing for an engine.

It's like hitting the top of your piston with a hammer.

Here's why - Combustion in an engine is a somewhat controlled explosion. Ideally, it takes place at a specific point in each piston's cycle, usually right at or a few degrees before the piston reaches top dead center. Like a balloon expanding, the combustion pushes the piston back down, providing motive power to the rear wheel.

In detonation, the "combustion" is actually more of an explosion. The fuel air mixture just explodes, sometimes before the piston has reached top dead center. The force of the explosion is strong and can lead to pockmarked pistons and other forms of mechanical mayhem.

Octane is closely related to this. As octane increases, the resistance of the gasoline to detonation is higher. Octane doesn't add more power, but it allows the use of higher compression ratios and more advanced timing; two items that usually encourage detonation.

If you've ever turned your car off and it keeps running, that's called dieseling and is a perfect example of detonation of the gasoline due to nothing more than temperature of the cylinder bore.

In my case it isn't pinging, it's coming from behind the cylinder area and is a very tinny sound like very light sheetmetal. It's more like a harmonic and sometimes can be heard without a load on the engine. It sounds like a heat shroud but I can't seem to find the bugger that's loose. Using premium gas didn't have any effect on it.

In my case it isn't pinging, it's coming from behind the cylinder area and is a very tinny sound like very light sheetmetal. It's more like a harmonic and sometimes can be heard without a load on the engine. It sounds like a heat shroud but I can't seem to find the bugger that's loose. Using premium gas didn't have any effect on it.

That sounds like the cam chain is banging around.

Back