• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Strange Goings On

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Annie and I went for a ride today. 60 sunny degrees in Montana and just a beautiful day to ride. After riding about 110 miles we stopped for coffee. When we came back to the bikes, eagle eyed Annie noticed a 2 inch in diameter puddle of fluid under the left front caliper of her 2014 F800GS. I glanced and was about to dismiss it as an old puddle, but took a closer look and sure enough there was a stream of brake fluid running from the bleeder. The dust cover was gone from the bleeder and a very small amount of fluid would come out the bleed hole when the brake lever was squeezed. There was no evidence of any brake fluid on any other part of the bike. Nothing on the rim, tire or engine as would be expected if it had been leaking while she was moving. The reservoir looked full. Although the puddle was 2 inches across, a little brake fluid goes a long way. The bike has speed bleeders that I installed when it was new last September and about 9000 miles ago. I used a wrench and was able to turn the bleeder about 1/16th of a turn, if that much and the leak stopped. It was baffling. The leak seemed to start suddenly while the bike was parked, the dust cover was gone and that is not something that happens easily. I thought of the idea that someone had purposely loosened the bleeder in the parking lot, but that seemed unlikely and too insidious to consider happening in small town Montana. The conclusion I arrived at is that the bleeder has been leaking a minute amount of fluid for quite sometime; perhaps for the last 9000 miles. Every time Annie used her brake a small amount of fluid was fed under the dust cap and eventually the fluid jacked the cap up until it came of the bleeder. It probably came off as she was braking to stop at the coffee joint allowing the trapped fluid to run down the caliper and puddle beneath the bike. It was another 70 miles home and there was no evidence of any additional leaking.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. I guess I did not get the speed bleeder tight when I installed it last year. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Congratulations to Annie for her sharp eyes in noticing a problem with the bike. Many riders might have missed the clue. And congratulations to you for knowing what to do about it.

Any other ideas?

It's a classic example of in-situ alien probing. An orifice was found and probed, but the science tech failed to clean-up the test site. Did you notice any personal discomfort during the coffee stop?

It's a classic example of in-situ alien probing. An orifice was found and probed, but the science tech failed to clean-up the test site. Did you notice any personal discomfort during the coffee stop?

Thanks for my morning smile. :thumb

akbeemer: I believe you correctly identified the issue.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been at an undisclosed facility undegoing a procedure to remove some sort of implant from my.... Well, it hurt.

You are treading into very murky waters now. Keep it up and you will never again feel safe in any cafe, diner, truckstop or restaurant worldwide. Sometimes it is best not to turn over the biscuit to see what's on the other side. If you start seeing black painted roach coaches cruising your neighborhood (once it gets plowed), be worried, very worried.

You are treading into very murky waters now. Keep it up and you will never again feel safe in any cafe, diner, truckstop or restaurant worldwide. Sometimes it is best not to turn over the biscuit to see what's on the other side. If you start seeing black painted roach coaches cruising your neighborhood (once it gets plowed), be worried, very worried.

Oh my goodness! I haven't heard the term roach coach used since Quantico, Virginia, 1964.

Tommy Lee Jones, in shades, vending Espresso and Taco's, I get the picture.

If you come to PA, you had best master the art of the Funnel Cake.

Oh my goodness! I haven't heard the term roach coach used since Quantico, Virginia, 1964.

Yep, it's old school, but you can still find them at places like big shipyards. Back in the day, every mid-west production plant supported an array of vendors.

Back in the day, every mid-west production plant supported an array of vendors.

Hey, it's still "the day" here in central California, especially the ag areas; you see them along the roads serving field workers, and they're also still common at construction sites.

What you've got "in town" are

e21031IMG_2085.jpg

Back