• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Straight line tracking on highway

G

graystoke

Took K1200GT (picked it up last week) on highway and noticed the bike does not feel solid on the highway. Had some drifting around 60-70 mph. Noticed it was very rough ride behind trucks. Just did not seem to track in a straight line as I expected. No problem at lower speeds (<60 mph) and she is great on the twisty roads.
I thought it would be a more solid ride on the highways. Any Thoughts?? (prior bikes were Honda 1100 crusier and Honda V65 Magna which did not have this issue).

My GT pulls heavily to the right . The dealer claims its normal because of the weight distribution of the bike. Other owners, whos bikes don't pull disagree. I know my left wrist gets tired counter stearing it all day long. :(

I would think the 'pulling' would cause abnormal tire wear and unbalanced handling. I can't believe a manufacturer would let a bike out the door that pulled to one side, but then they let a lot of the oil heads out with a bad throttle response problem and kept building airheads with valve and valve seat problems for many years. Don't those guys have a QC department? Bruce

Just put a new Metzler Roadtec Z6 on the rear of my K1200GT, and am experiencing the same problems: it feels like grooved pavement >75mph. The bike was very stable before the tire change.

I'm working on different tire pressures, but no solution yet. It doesn't seem to be a balance problem...

Any suggestions?

I also had that problem, mine started after I put on a new set metzeler tires. Dealer told me that he has had people complain about this problem and sometimes as they wear the swaying goes away.

My GT pulls heavily to the right . The dealer claims its normal because of the weight distribution of the bike. Other owners, whos bikes don't pull disagree. I know my left wrist gets tired counter stearing it all day long. :(

K-bikes have pulled to the right since 1984. Some riders notice it more than others. The most recent vintage K in my fleet is from 1991 so take my solution with that in mind...

I found that using the left saddle bag exclusively and/or putting the heavy stuff in it balances out the ride nicely. Years ago somebody experimented a bit and found that it took (IIRC) 14lbs to even things out. :gerg

My K1200RS also pulls to the right, and it only got worse with the aftermarket exhaust (12 lbs lighter). The heavy stuff in left saddle bag helps, but I don't always keep the bags on. Makes it hard to ride with no hands for more than a couple miles..........:D

K1200GT is a big wind sail

It was explained to me by a repair guy that the front of the bike has large fairings that will react to the wind, thereby causing slight drifting as I go down the highway. Especially on windy days or if there is a lot of traffic on the road, which has been when I noticed the most often.

So There's no real fix...??

HHmmm, I've noticed this since my 1st ride on the '93 K1100RS I bought a year ago, and saw some of these same responses to another's query then.:brow It's hard to believe there isn't some real fix. I tried all the suggestions: weight in the left bag (helps a little), riding on the wrong side of the road to see if the "crown" on the hiway was causing it(no), and different speeds to see if it changed (not much). Yes, my Metzler Z6 tires wear the front off center, and it bugs me :banghead . I did notice today with the bike off the ground, that my fork bearings find a "home" somewhere near straight ahead. I wonder if that "home" is a little off center, although I don't know why it would be, since I'm steering straight 90% of the time:kbasa . If I get REAL ambitious, maybe I'll replace them sometime, but don't hold your breath for a report soon,...:burnout . KC

Ya call this german engineering?

Crazy! Your bikes pulls and the advice is to put 14lbs on the left side-- "been like this since '84?"... Reminds me of how Jefferson Davis would ride into combat with one arm in the air for some kind of cosmic balance-- Seems like the fellows who invented the V-2 rocket could engineer a motorcycle that would go straight down the road at 70mph-- And how much did we pay for this Bavarian experience? My advice? Call call a tech rep in Japan--

K1200RS junkie

uh...what pull?

.....1992 K1100LT and haven't noticed this pull that you speak of. Road crown dynamic is almost always there (when I'm not dodging potholes). However, now that I know that it apparently exists in the machine itself I'll probably notice it...dang. Could this have more to do with tires? -Bob

huh?

I have an '04 GT and had a '98 RS before that. I don't have any of these problems. Most stable, straight-tracking bike at speed I've ever ridden. Stock shocks suck but with Ohlins/Wilbers, perfection. Check your suspensions/tire pressures. If any of these issues is an irritaion, it is likely a problem with the machine, not a "they all do it."

Curt

Back