• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sticky throttle on K1200GT

Petvet

I know this might be a stupid questions but I rather ask then get my self in trouble.
Last summer the throttle was getting a little sticky but it was not really a big deal.
Today I had the bike at Max's for recall work. In the morning when I was loading the bike the throttle seamed to be working OK. When I got home and unloaded and rode the bike back in to the garage the throttle would stick and the bike wold rev at 4500 to 5000 rpm until I manually pushed the throttle back. I tried it several time and in three out of five times it would stick. Max did replace the fuel pump today so they were in the vicinity of the throttle cables. Any suggestions for a quick fix. I really don't want take the tank off again a go fishing.
Thanks in advance.

:blush

I would go back to the dealer as you say it is worse now after a service.Could be simple as a slightly mis-routed cable.
The pre-2005 models used to get worse when the heated grips were on and the rubber expanded to cause a friction drag at the bell end of the rubber...you could slide the rubber back to cure that. Doesn't apply to the Wedges, so :scratch

Surely not it as well, however, a friend with a K12R had similar issues. We pulled the tank in a parking lot to find a clump of fiber shop towels all bound up in the linkage above the injector rail:banghead He took the clump back to the dealer as they had the tank off a few weeks prior.

Well, I have serious trust issues when it comes to dealers. I spoke with the service front desk today and they came up with the story that if the trailer's straps were applied to the throttle grip that might be the actual cause. That is a first for me. I have moved my biles to trailers I don't know how many times and this is the first time I hear that it might damage the throttle grip.

I appreciate any input from other people in order to figure out if that is really possible.
Thanks in advance.:dunno

They be blowin' smoke... anything's "possible", but that's Highly Unlikely.

Yes that is pretty clear now. I took the bike to my friends at European Cycle Services and had a good close look at the throttle and the bike over all.
The throttle cable dose not return at all. There must be a pinch somewhere bellow or a broken return spring. The left side cover was installed improperly etc.
I am trembling when I think what I might find inside.

Well, I have serious trust issues when it comes to dealers. I spoke with the service front desk today and they came up with the story that if the trailer's straps were applied to the throttle grip that might be the actual cause. That is a first for me. I have moved my biles to trailers I don't know how many times and this is the first time I hear that it might damage the throttle grip.

I appreciate any input from other people in order to figure out if that is really possible.
Thanks in advance.:dunno

I think that is unlikely but possible. I do know of cases where heated grips were damaged by tie downs. I simply don't tie down on the grips ever, and seldom even on the handlebars. There are better places to tie to that are safer.

In any event guessing won't fix it. Either the owner or the dealer or somebody else is going to need to actually find the cause and fix it and we can't do it on our keyboards unfortunately.

I think that is unlikely but possible. I do know of cases where heated grips were damaged by tie downs. I simply don't tie down on the grips ever, and seldom even on the handlebars. There are better places to tie to that are safer.

In any event guessing won't fix it. Either the owner or the dealer or somebody else is going to need to actually find the cause and fix it and we can't do it on our keyboards unfortunately.

True. The dealer offerd to come pick up the bike and take a look but they are dancing around the issue of who is at fault.
For me the bottom line is, I delivered to them a functional bike and picked up one that is not operational. They did not test ride the bike after they were finished so there is no way to tell if they caused the problem.
Also if they screwed up the throttle cables what else are they going to screw up next time. They could not even properly put toughener the side covers.
I am taking the whole top of the bike apart on Tuesday and checking and rechecking everything.
I am taking picks of everything and will slap them with a bill.

It seems the dealer is trying to work with you...as hard headed as I am, even I would accept the offer. Making an assumption they will do further damage is not attempting a fix on their offer.
You sure they did not test ride? And you either? Just sayin'.

People make mistakes, I would let them at least look at it. Sending them a bill is not going to improve your relationship, nor be satisfactory no doubt to your liking...also from experience.

And if you are using canyon dancers tie-downs...regardless of how many times they have worked on other bikes...please stop! They can and do cause issues. Those cast bars and components may not like the strain.

It seems the dealer is trying to work with you...as hard headed as I am, even I would accept the offer. Making an assumption they will do further damage is not attempting a fix on their offer.
You sure they did not test ride? And you either? Just sayin'.

People make mistakes, I would let them at least look at it. Sending them a bill is not going to improve your relationship, nor be satisfactory no doubt to your liking...also from experience.

And if you are using canyon dancers tie-downs...regardless of how many times they have worked on other bikes...please stop! They can and do cause issues. Those cast bars and components may not like the strain.

Well, Steve. Everything is a matter of opinion. Also it is true that I have trust issues when it comes to dealers from bitter experience.
However here are the hard facts.
I know they did not test ride the bike because I was there. They did roll the bike out of the lift and outside for me to load it to the trailer.
The fact that they assembled the bike covers incorrectly is strongly suggestive of sloppy craftsmanship.

I got this bike with crash damage last year and had it disassembled down to bare bones and back together so I know the bike inside and out.
On top of that I had a certified BMW mechanic at European Cycle Services check the bike and test ride it.

If I let the dealer take the bike and trouble shoot it how would I know if they are telling the truth?

The bike was at the dealer only for recall work.

I usually use straps on the bridge of the handlebars not on the handles. But where else I can hook them. The K has a full fairing. If you have a better suggestion please let me know. I don't really sea where else I can place the straps forward of the seat.
By the way I am not using canyon dancer tie-downs. I had to Google what that was.

The Duolever fork on the K- bikes is similar in tying down, we do this on our K12S's with basically the same fairing coverage up front as the GT. We use soft ties around the forks, then ratchet straps. The bike rides on the suspension in the wheel chock.
Have had rescues show up here with issues from handlebar tie downs as most wrecker operators do what they need to. Some of the damage has been pricey and avoidable.

I am not telling you what direction to take, just that they did offer to check it out. Your GT also is most likely on the recall/bulletin list for the rear wheel spider flange, so at some point a dealer is needed.

We have limited nearby choices and at some point just have to pick a dealer to deal with the recalls ( fuel pumps and wheel flanges) on five models we have. Our dealer of choice recently changed hands and have not dealt with the service dept yet.

I'm out:wave

This is funny Bob. My other bike is a R1200C though I use a bit different configuration.
I do use soft ties on both bikes.

Thanks for the suggestion from Steve. I will try your suggestion though I am worried that my Denalli light might be on the way. May be if I place the ratchets on the side bors of the trailer instead the anchor points on the bed, it might work.

That still does not answer the question why the throttle cable binds somewhere bellow. :thumb

Out of curiosity, what was the recall repair on your bike?
Fuel pump flange?

Out of curiosity, what was the recall repair on your bike?
Fuel pump flange?

Yes however they sad that the whole fuel pump unit had failed and replaced that as well. Also the fuel strip. and the chain guard.
They would not take my word that the chain guard was done and opened the bike to take a look. I know it was because I did upgrade the clutch to a Barnett plates last year and checked the chain guard at the same time.

I was aware of the faulty fuel strip but as far as I know the fuel pump was ok. The bike was running.

Well I took th bike apart today. With four experienced mechanics by my side at European Cycle Services the consensus was that the throttle cable was pinched under the gas tank.

Also Max BMW charged my for new mounting grommets for the side panel. When I took the side panels of there was no sign of the new grommets, just the old staff that was there in the fall when I finished rebuilding the bike.

That is pretty ballsy Max.

Back