• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Starting Issue -- 2015 BMW R 1200 RT

jgoertz

A problem cropped up starting my RT yesterday (4/18/21). Bike started fine in the morning. I rode over to Barber's Museum for the day, as I was working there. I parked my RT in front of the museum, as I usually do. At the end of the day, I went to start the the RT for the ride home. I have keyless start, so I hit the "On" button and the bike went though the normal routine and then the triangle in the dash turned red and the bike went back to sleep. I hit the "On" button the second time, same thing. Then a bystander suggested flipping up the sidestand. I have always started the bike with the sidestand down, so I blew off the suggestion at first. After the third cycle with the same results, I flipped up the sidestand as suggested by the bystander. This time the cycle worked as it should -- self-check went through the routine, triangle stayed yellow, dash stayed awake, and the bike started right up. I rode over to where I was meeting my wife for a bite to eat, stopped at the restaurant, flipped sidestand down, bike kept running as normal. I pressed the "Off" button and ate dinner. After dinner, I went through the same procedure as at the museum -- no luck until flipping up the sidestand. Yes, the bike was in "Neutral".

My question -- is an interlock failing? If so, which one is the likely suspect, the sidestand or the transmission potentiometer (which tells the ECU the bike is in neutral or which gear, if not neutral)? Or is there a possibility that cleaning the sidestand contacts might cure the problem?

Bike has 26,500 miles +/-, and it's never given me a moment's cause for concern before this issue. If it's something I can check/determine the cause and fix myself, I don't mind tackling the project, as I still have two months before leaving Birmingham for Great Falls.

Any serious comments on what to check/how to fix would be appreciated. I have the Haynes manual, and I'm pretty handy with tools, but I need some guidance as to where to start checking.

Thanks!

Normally a side stand switch or neutral gear switch failure should just prevent starting, not shut down the bike.
Do you have access to a gs-911 to check for error codes?

Sounds like a switch failure to me. Another thought, is the bikes battery the original? Could be some kind of low-power protection. Our old Chevy Blazer would do odd things when the battery was low.

Disclaimer: I'm just an average idiot, not qualified at all, just a couple thoughts from someone who's ridden 45+ years. Sometimes strange things happen when a battery is low.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had time to check a few things today -- Pulled the side stand switch, cleaned the contacts, and verified it's working. Confirmed the bike would start w/o the side stand switch -- just in case. Then I noticed the small red dot (#8 in my manual on the diagram that shows all the icons) would flash and go out. To do the check, I had just thrown the fob on the seat (I normally keep it in my front jeans pocket). Replaced the battery in my fob, replaced the refurbed side stand switch, life is wonderful again!

I can now confirm that the bike will not start if the fob (a) has a weak battery, and (b) the side stand has a funky switch. I can only explain the side stand up -- bike starts, side stand down -- no start, to my moving slightly when lifting the sidestand moved the fob closer.

(And the battery is in good condition, about 2 years old, IIRC.)

The mysteries of BMW!

Thanks for the suggestions. I had time to check a few things today -- Pulled the side stand switch, cleaned the contacts, and verified it's working. Confirmed the bike would start w/o the side stand switch -- just in case. Then I noticed the small red dot (#8 in my manual on the diagram that shows all the icons) would flash and go out. To do the check, I had just thrown the fob on the seat (I normally keep it in my front jeans pocket). Replaced the battery in my fob, replaced the refurbed side stand switch, life is wonderful again!

I can now confirm that the bike will not start if the fob (a) has a weak battery, and (b) the side stand has a funky switch. I can only explain the side stand up -- bike starts, side stand down -- no start, to my moving slightly when lifting the sidestand moved the fob closer.

(And the battery is in good condition, about 2 years old, IIRC.)

The mysteries of BMW!

Glad you got it sorted...My 2019 acted a little screwy when I first got it and replacing the FOB battery (as sailorlite suggested) cured it for me as well. Simple things first

Back