• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 01)

Artiee

R1200RT
You could say the foundation for this trip began many years ago. As my youngest daughter, Stephanie, is quite a few years younger than her two older siblings, past visits to grandparents were at a much, much younger age for her. As such, she only had vague memories and had been asking when she might get to visit her grandfather (my father) again. We had tried several times in years past to get together, but for one reason or another (schedules, finances, logistics) the trips never came about. The most recent attempt a couple of years ago, came to an abrupt end, when my father, enroute to the airport to fly here for a visit, was rear-ended by a local police car. By the time the investigation was completed, my father had missed his flight. (Visits to her other grandparents had been easier to achieve and my father was the only one she had not seen since she was a few years old.)

Towards the end of last year (2008), Stephanie again brought up the question of when there might be a chance to visit her grandfather. I told her I wasn't certain but would look for an opportunity when we might be able to go. A check of her school calendar showed she had a week off for Spring Break, April 13-17. When you threw in the weekends there was a window of opportunity for up to nine days of travel. I checked my work schedule and saw that my crew was scheduled for downtime for most of that same nine days ÔÇô by taking a couple of days leave, I would be able to make the trip. After consulting with my boss, he said if I decided to go he would approved the leave request. I then consulted with my father about his plans for the same week. He said he would be at home and we were welcome to come. The issue of timing appeared to be in our favor.

Next came the question of funding for the trip. As the initial thoughts for attempting this trip came at the end of 2008, Christmas shopping was wrapping up. I checked to see if anything was left in the Christmas budget. As it turned out, there was. Furthermore, I had not yet deposited my Christmas bonus check from work. The issue of funding was also in our favor.

Stephanie has previously gone on short rides with me in the local area but she had brought up on occasion the idea of going on a longer motorcycle trip. Here was an opportunity for her to fulfill her wish to go on a motorcycle trip. As my father lives in Gallatin, TN, the route there and back would pass near the Smokey Mountains (and "The Dragon", which I've wanted to go visit but just needed a justifiable reason and now had) so here was an opportunity for me as well. I broached the idea of the Spring Break trip to my wife. I briefed her on the timing and how it would be funded and she graciously agreed we could go. Now I could begin working on the details of the trip.

I now had to look to the issue of riding gear for Stephanie and ensuring the motorcycle was ready for the trip. In March 2009, the motorcycle would be due for routine maintenance (funding for which was already projected in the family budget). The timing was good because it would be shortly before our departure. As it turned out though, I needed a new front tire so that put me a little over the budget for the maintenance, but aside from that, the motorcycle was mechanically sound and good to go.

The issue of Stephanie's riding gear was another matter though. As she has previously gone on short rides with me in the local area, we already had most of her gear ÔÇô helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. We had previously purchased her some riding pants, but they turned out to be too large. No matter ÔÇô we could hold on to them and she would grow into them, but at this point we needed to find something else which would fit. The problem was, she is at that "in-between" stage, too big for the kids' sizes and not yet big enough for the women's sizes. After much searching around, I found her a pair of women's Answer moto-cross pants (small) which fit. As they didn't come with knee protection, we went to a sporting goods store and purchased knee protectors she could wear under the pants.

As the weather would be somewhat on the cool side, we also purchased a neck warmer and heavier gloves. Since springtime is often accompanied by rain, we bought rain gear as well. A couple of insulated sweat shirts for warmth and insulation rounded out the gear purchase.

As we were going through the process of finding and purchasing Stephanie's riding gear, I began route planning, looking for over-night stops and researching how weather for mid-April might affect our travels. The total distance, one way, was approximately 630 miles. Abingdon, VA was within a few miles of being exactly halfway, so it would be the overnight stop on the outbound and return legs of the trip. Researching hotel options for the area, I wanted something low cost with a restaurant on site or within walking distance (so we wouldn't have to don all our gear, just to go eat). I found a Days Inn, just off I-81, exit 19 which fit the requirements.

Accommodations while in Gallatin were already taken care of, so that left selecting a location in the vicinity US 129. I chose the lodge at Fontana Village because of its proximity to Deal's Gap and the fact they had a restaurant in the same building. Accommodations and reservations were now set.

(One day I would love to take a motorcycle trip which has no set plan or agenda - just get on the motorcycle, pick a direction and ride; when the time comes to eat or stop for the night, find something nearby; when you see a sign for nearby attractions, turn off the main route and go see them; no set plans or agenda, just riding and site-seeing. Unfortunately the upcoming trip required set time lines, destinations and agendas.)

So what could we expect in the way of weather? It wasn-t too hard to compile historic data and come up with a projection.

00HistoricWeather.jpg

As the time for the trip approached, I consulted ten-day weather forecasts for various points along our route of travel. Using this data I compiled a projected forecast chart to help plan travel times while avoiding the worst of the weather.

01WeatherForecast.jpg

(Okay, some may consider going this far with charting the weather a little over-board, but it's the Ops Planner in me. I just can't let the little details go unaddressed. This might make the spontaneous trip I would like to do someday a little awkward to pull off.)

As it turned out the only day where we would actually encounter rain on a travel day was April 11th, our departure day. There was rain and isolated thunderstorms on April 13th and 14th, but we were at my father's and not traveling. April 15th was cloudy but no rain and April 16th and 17th turned out to be absolutely, dropped dead, gorgeous riding days - (but I'm getting a little ahead of the story here).

As I made plans for the trip, I frequently spoke to Stephanie about where we would be going and what we would see. She was very intrigued when I told her about "The Dragon". When I showed her the web site for "Tail of the Dragon", she noticed the "Tree of Shame" and was looking forward to seeing it in person. I also showed her the web sites of the various photographers (such as Killboy) who set up along the route and take pictures. She was looking forward to seeing a picture of us on one or more of those sites.

Monday - April 06, 2009 (T ÔÇô 5 Days and counting)

Everything is on track, the planning is done, the gear purchased, maintenance completed, reservations made. All we have to do now is wait for the day of departure. Then all of a sudden. "Houston, we have a problem!" My wife calls me at work in the late afternoon. She had gone to Stephanie's after-school soccer game and is now transporting her to the Emergency Room with an injury. During the soccer game, Stephanie suffered a severely bruised Achilles tendon in her left ankle when she was accidently kicked by another player. On a scale of 1-10, she rated the pain a 9 and wasn't able to walk on it. Of course I'm concerned about Stephanie's welfare, but she has suffered ankle injuries during soccer games before and I know what doctors are likely to put on her leg to help the injury to heal. I can't help but wonder how that will affect her ability to go through with this trip on the back seat of a motorcycle.

By the time I came home from work, my wife and daughter are back from the ER. Sure enough, the doctors have but a temporary splint on her left leg and it's wrapped from her toes to just below her knee. With a bandage that size, there is no way she will be able to wear her motorcycle boots. The bandage and splint are not weather proof, not to mention her toes being exposed to low temperatures at highway speeds. It's looking like we won't be able to take the motorcycle; Stephanie was disappointed at this prospect. While we can still go on the trip via car, going through "The Dragon" just wouldn't be the same.

I immediately shifted into damage control mode and started looking for ways to salvage this trip. The first thing we need to do is schedule Stephanie for a follow-up appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon. We were fortunate to find an opening before our scheduled departure, but it wouldn't be until Friday morning, April 10th, only one day before our scheduled departure. The question now is ÔÇô will she be medically cleared to take the trip via motorcycle and if so, will she be able to fit her boot over any brace the doctor fits her with?

I posted my dilemma to various motorcycle web sites to solicit advice on how we might possibly proceed and salvage the trip. The suggested solution which appeared to have the best chance of working involved over-boots ÔÇô the ankle brace would provide the structural support, heavy insulated socks would provide warmth and an over-boot would provide protection from wind and rain. Additionally, a folding cane might be needed if she were still unable to put weight on her foot. Now we just had to wait for the follow-up appointment and see what the doctor said.

Thursday - April 09, 2009 (T ÔÇô 2 Days and counting)

The weather this day was beautiful ÔÇô sunny with a few clouds. Trying to remain optimistic about riding the motorcycle for the trip, I roll it out of the garage to wash off all the winter grim which has accumulated over the past several months.

02CleanMotorcycle.jpg

Friday - April 10, 2009 (T ÔÇô 1 Day and counting)

When I took Stephanie to the doctors on April 10th, I took her motorcycle boots with us, just in case. By this day, Stephanie was still walking with the aid of crutches but she said the pain in her ankle had subsided considerably. The doctor looked at the x-ray, looked at her ankle, had her walk on it, listened to our concerns and looked at her boots. He then gave us the verdictÔÇöshe would be fine riding on the motorcycle for the trip! He didnÔÇÖt want to put a brace on her ankle because he wanted her to walk on it and keep the Achilles tendon stretched. He related the boots were more than adequate for supporting her ankle during the ride. He concluded by saying that if her ankle started to hurt, she should just take Tylenol and prop it up at the end of the day.

We had medical clearance and the trip was a go! Time to head home and start packing.

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 02)

Saturday - April 11, 2009 (Day 1 - Departure)

Having checked the weather forecast the night before, the prospects of an early departure looked grim. A weather front was supposed to move through and not clear out until late morning. I was projecting a departure time of around 11:00 am. When I awoke in the morning, I could hear the rain outside. I logged onto the NOAA web site and checked the weather radar picture. At first glance it looked like we could still depart around 11:00 am. Then I set the radar picture in motion and things did not look nearly as promising.

03RadarPicture.jpg

While the center of the storm mass was moving out of the area to ENE and would quickly clear the area, there was a strong counter-clockwise rotation. So as the storm moved out to ENE, the western end, stretching into West Virginia, kept rotating down over us. It wasn't until around 1:45 pm that the weather cleared enough to head out. As the weather began to clear, I told Stephanie to start putting her gear on. I put on my gear and rolled the motorcycle out of the garage.

04DayofDeparture.jpg

The first day of this trip was going to be cold and damp.

05DepartingWeather.jpg

Finally, Stephanie was geared up. We conducted a comms check to ensure we could talk to each other, mounted up and we were off. We only had about 300 miles to go, and it was possible we could still make Abingdon at or around sundown yeah, rightwishful thinking.

06Steph.jpg

This was Stephanie's first ever, long distance motorcycle trip and as such she wasn't as accustomed to long rides, nor was she as accustomed to austere weather conditions as I've had to endure during my life. Even though I had anticipated making more frequent and longer stops than I would if travelling solo, it quickly became evident we would be stopping even more often and for longer breaks than originally planned. Even though I didn't want to ride after sundown, it looked like we wouldn't arrive at our first stop until about an hour after sundown. Fortunately, the final leg of the first day would be all Interstate and not narrow, winding roads. It wasn't difficult to set myself up several seconds behind another vehicle and use their headlights to help gain advance warning of what was happening down the road.

This short period of travel in the dark gave us the opportunity to test the effectiveness of an accessory previously purchased for Stephanie's helmet. If you notice in the picture of her above, there is a small bump on the top of her helmet. That is the air intake to a set of wind-powered LEDs. As the airstream blows through the front, it spins a small turbine blade, which powers a small generator and lights up twinkling, red LEDs on the back of her helmet. As this was the first time riding with her in the dark, we weren't sure how much light these LEDs put out.

When we arrived at the hotel in Abingdon, Stephanie related two things to me: first, the output for the LEDs was strong enough to reflect back forward through the air intake and project a large red glowing dot on the back of my helmet; second, as cars came up alongside us in the left lane, they were slowing so they could take a good look at just what the twinkling red lights were. (I may just have to take a short night time ride with Stephanie and have someone follow and video tape, just to see what it looks like from behind.)

Around 8:50 pm, we finally arrived at our hotel for the night. We checked in, unpacked the motorcycle, took off our riding gear and headed across the parking lot to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant next door. (As things turned out over the course of this trip, Cracker Barrel would become our good friend.)

After dinner, we returned to our room. Before going to bed, I attached my disc brake alarm and secured the motorcycle cover over my motorcycle. While the first day was cold and damp, the second day promised better weather. As 98% of our route for the next day was Interstate, we should be able to depart as planned and make good time for the day.

[blue]Sometime after having fallen asleep, a noise woke me. I glanced over at the digital alarm clock and it showed 1:30 am. (That's strange how can I read the time on the clock when my daughter unplugged it so she could charge her cell phone?) The noise I heard had come from outside. I went to the window and looked outside. On no! The motorcycle was gone! Why hadn't the alarm sounded? I better call the police right away. I suddenly find myself in the lobby of the hotel calling the police. (How did I get here so quickly and why didn't I just call from my room?)

No sooner do I hang up from calling the police, an officer arrives on scene almost instantaneously. That is definitely a very quick response time. If only they could always be that quick. I'm now standing in the parking lot giving details to the police officer about what occurred. (Why am I standing in the parking lot in the middle of the night dressed in my pajamas, motorcycle boots and motorcycle helmet?)
[/blue]

At this point I woke up. Was that really a dream? I glanced at the alarm clock  it's still unplugged. I check myself  pajamas, no boots or helmet. I go to the window, pull back the curtain  the motorcycle is right where I left it. Okay, it was just a dream go back to sleep.

Sunday - April 12, 2009 (Day 2)

The weather for the day was a considerable improvement over the first day. The skies would be clear to partly cloudy for most of the day, slightly breezy and temperatures ranging from mid 40s to the mid 50s. Even though it wasn't raining, Stephanie decided she wanted to wear her rain jacket as extra protection against the cold breeze. She would later relate that it made a big difference and wished she had done so the day before. Oh well, live and learn.

07SecondDayWeather.jpg

After a quick breakfast, we packed up, checked out and headed south on I-81. It wasn't long until we crossed into Tennessee and soon thereafter we merged onto I-40. As we proceed west, I can't help but frequently notice the shadow we are casting to our right. Looking over at it, I could clearly see the outline of two riders (such as shown in this picture).

08ShadowPicture.jpg

After a couple of breaks and stop for lunch, we pressed onward. It wasn't too long after resuming travels I felt a slight thump on the middle of my back. Anyone who has ridden two-up is familiar with helmet tapping. Helmet tapping generally occurs from one of two causes ÔÇô either quick, abrupt stops or slowing, or the passenger nodding off. Two summers ago my wife and I rode two-up to Niagara Falls. In the early afternoon on the second day of the Niagara Falls trip, I felt a brief tap on the back of my helmet. A very short time later, I felt a second tap. With a rest area coming up just in front of us, I pulled over and we got off to take a rest break. My wife admitted that she had started to nod off and needed a break.

Now, back to this trip. The slight thump I felt was slightly different than a helmet tap. When I felt it against my back, it just pressed and stayed there ÔÇô no pulling back. I glanced over at our shadow. Where before I could clearly see two silhouetted, helmeted riders, I could now only see one, and that rider now had a huge, Quasimodo, Hunchback of Notre Dame style lump on his back! I gave a brief blip on the throttle, just enough to interrupt the smooth, rhythmic humming of the motorcycle down the highway, and suddenly the shadow again showed two riders.

I got on the radio with my daughter and asked her if she was falling asleep. ÔÇ£No, dad. I'm fine.ÔÇØ was the reply. Yeah, right. There was a rest area up the road about another five miles and I pulled over to let her take a break. After a little chiding, she admitted she was falling asleep. While I kidded her a little about it, I stressed that it was very important to let me know if she is tired before she falls asleep. Falling asleep in the back seat of a car is one thing. Falling asleep on the back of a moving motorcycle is something else altogether. Anyway, safety lesson is over ÔÇô time to relax a little and then back on the road.

Around 2:30 pm (we have now crossed into CST so we gained an hour) we turn off onto TN-109 and pull into a McDonald's for a break. We are getting close to our destination for the day and my father had requested we call him at this point. The neighborhood were my dad lives is full of narrow, twisting and turning roads and, just like the neighborhood I live in. If you're not familiar with the roads there, newcomers will get lost on their first visit. I called him and told him we were taking a 20 minute break and would resume travel shortly. He told us to call again when we departed and he would meet us at a service station about 10 miles up the road, just across the Cumberland River.

09ArrivingInGallatin.jpg

After our rendezvous, we followed my father back to his house ÔÇô he was right about newcomers easily getting lost. So around 3:30 pm we had arrived and were done for the day.

10House.jpg

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 03)

Monday - April 13, 2009 (Day 3)

As the weather for the next two days would play hit and miss with thunderstorms and this would be family re-union time, there's not a lot involving motorcycles until April 15th (unless you count the electric trike Stephanie discovered at the next-door neighbors). We spent most of this day just seeing some of the sites around were my father lives. His neighborhood is on the SW side of Old Hickory Lake which is off the Cumberland River. While his house is not right on the waterfront, he does have a good view of it.

11Lake.jpg

His neighborhood is an older, established neighborhood with at least one well know celebrity living there. It turns out the country music song writer, Eddy Raven, lived not too far down the road.

12ERaven.jpg

Across the lake from where my father lives, was a much more, ritzy neighborhood (as the photo of the backside of this house shows).

13House02.jpg

While it is not necessarily the house shown above, the Quarterback for the Tennessee Titans lives in that neighborhood. We drove through that neighborhood and all I can say about the houses is Wow!!! The Real Estate Develop who built that neighborhood had bought, restored and refurbished an old southern plantation manor for his house.

14ManorHouse.jpg

Finally, not too far from where he lives, my dad took us by a house we had passed on the way in the day before, belonging to none other than Reba McEntire.

15RMcEntire.jpg

As my wife is a big Reba fan, I knew that I would have to take a picture just for her (or the consequences might be severe when she found out).

After dinner, my dad took us next door to meet a neighbor of his. In his garage was a fully restored and operable 1937 Packard.

16Packard.jpg

However, it wasn't the Packard which caught my daughter's attention - it was the electric trike! She just had to take it for a spin. The controls were not that much different from a motorcycle. On the right grip was a lever operated by depressing with your thumb ÔÇô that was the throttle. On the left grip was a clutch style lever which was your brake. Also on the left grip were the controls for the headlight, turn signals and horn. You could ride it with the seat installed or remove the seat and ride standing up. Max speed was around 12 mph. Stephanie had a great time riding around on it.

17Trike01.jpg

18Trike02.jpg

19Trike03.jpg

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 04)

Tuesday - April 14, 2009 (Day 4)

As with yesterday, the weather was one of scattered thunderstorms. The weather radar showed most of the rain would be in the morning so my father took us to see the Opryland Hotel and Convention Center, built on the site where Opryland USA used to be. The facility (calling it a building doesnÔÇÖt quite describe it) is massive with over 2,000 guest rooms and suites. The Opryland Hotel and Convention Center is divided into five areas ÔÇô four guest sections (each with their own theme) and the Convention Center area.

20OprylandHotel.jpg

All these pictures (except for those in the Magnolia section) are indoors under a massive skylight ceiling.

21Skylight.jpg

22Delta.jpg

23Delta.jpg

24Garden.jpg

25Garden.jpg

26Garden.jpg

All the vegetation inside is real and the Opryland Hotel has a large full time gardening staff for tending to it. The Magnolia section contained the only out-door garden area.

27Magnolia.jpg

28Magnolia.jpg

Most everyone has heard of the ÔÇ£Tail of the DragonÔÇØ. Well, here is the ÔÇ£Head of the DragonÔÇØ.

29HeadoftheDragon.jpg

There is also a Radio Broadcast station located inside which airs all the shows from "The Grand Old Opry", which just happened to be located next door to the Hotel.

30Radio.jpg

31Opry.jpg

After lunch, the weather had cleared enough for outdoor activities and Stephanie decided it would be Putt-Putt and Go-Karts.

32PuttPutt.jpg

While Tiger Woods may not have anything to worry about

33GoKarts.jpg

Danica Patrick may have to be looking over her shoulder some day.

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 05)

Wednesday - April 15, 2009 (Day 5)

Well, all vacations are too short and all too quickly it was time to hit the road again. As soon as I awoke, I checked updates for the weather. While rain was not in the forecast, it was supposed to be cloudy all day. Starting temperature was around 40 with a high for the day of around 50. The night before, we had packed most of our things and after breakfast it was time to finish are preparations for departure. While Stephanie and I were donning all our gear, I seem to recall hearing a comment comparing the process to a scene in the movie "Apollo 13" where the astronauts were assisted with methodically donning their space suits.

34Depart.jpg

35Depart.jpg

36Depart.jpg

With all the gear donned, it was time to roll out

37Depart.jpg

mount up

38Depart.jpg

and we head off around 7:30 am (note the overcast sky).

39Depart.jpg

While the weather forecast for the day had been for continuous cloud cover, there didn't appear to be anything which would cause significant travel delays. We planned on taking the Cherohala Skyway across the Smoky Mountains and over to Fontana Village for the night. I anticipated we would arrive at the Cherohala Skyway Visitors' Center around 2:00 pm and with time for stops and site seeing along the way, we should arrive at our destination around 7:30 pm.

Well, within the first hour, it became apparent I was once again being too optimistic. Even though the weather forecast had been for continuous cloud cover, what it didn't mention was the height above the ground of the cloud cover. As it turns out, the clouds hovered just above the ground, not close enough to leave us in a fog, but low enough that we were in an almost continuous, light mist which just hung in the air.

A temperature of around 40 degrees, combined with 100% humidity and a wind speed of around 60-65 mph made for a bone chilling cold. While over the years, I've come to learn to endure such conditions, it proved to be too much for Stephanie. Even though she was wearing all her riding gear (jacket, rain gear, sweater, etc.), she came on the radio and said she was just too cold to continue on. So about another ten miles up the road, we pull off the highway and into a Cracker Barrel. After removing our helmets and heading inside, the hostess took one look at Stephanie and promptly gave us the table closest to the fire place.

40Fireplace.jpg

Those who frequently take long motorcycle trips or rides know you don't want to eat a heavy meal while on the road as this can contribute to making you drowsy. When we had departed from my father's, we had only consumed a light breakfast. When my daughter ordered from the menu, she ordered a large breakfast to help her warm up. Even though I knew this would most likely come back to haunt us, at that particular moment, she needed to warm up. Once the order was placed, Stephanie pulled out her book and moved closer to the fireplace while waiting for the food to arrive.

41WarmingUp.jpg

All told, we spent a little over an hour there, sipping hot chocolate, letting her eat and warming up. When we departed, our first stop was just down the road to Wal Mart, where we purchased a supply of hand-warmer inserts. We wrapped up one in her scarf which held it against the back of her neck, put one warmer each in her pants pockets to help keep her legs warm and one each in her gloves. By the time we were back on the road, the cloud cover had lifted and we were no longer exposed to the mist.

A little over an hour down the road, what I knew was going to happen, happened. Stephanie came on the radio and says she's having trouble staying awake ÔÇô that big breakfast has caught up with her. I pull off at the next exit and pull into a Wendy's. We order some hot drinks and some fries. Stephanie lays her head down on her arms and within a few minutes is out like a light. I pull out my cell phone and start catching up on various forums, reading the news and checking weather reports.

After about an hour nap Stephanie wakes up, checks the time and is surprised she slept that long. We have one more round of hot drinks, load up and hit the road. We are now well behind schedule and have decided to just head straight across the Cherohala Skyway without the extra sight-seeing (with one exception ÔÇô Bald River Falls). The cloudy skies for the most part would limit the ability to take many great photos anyway.

Around 4:30 pm we pull into the parking lot of the Cherohala Skyway Visitor Center.

42VisitorCenter.jpg

We spent about a half hour taking a break and then headed up into the Smoky Mountains. We had one stop we wanted to go see and even though it was cloudy, it was worth seeing. I can only imagine how it would like in the full light of the sun.

43Falls.jpg

After the visiting the falls, we returned back to the Skyway and headed for the NC border.

44Skyway.jpg

45Skyway.jpg

We ended up stopping briefly at one more scenic overlook and Stephanie took this picture of a section of the roadway we had been on, down below us.

46Skyway.jpg

Shortly after taking this picture, we reached the NC border and quite literally we were in the clouds. The heavy, fog-like conditions forced us to slow down. We would be in this fog until we were almost down to US-129 near Robbinsville. As if that wasn't frustrating enough, on several occasions the roadway almost pushed through the tops of the clouds, but not quite. The several times that occurred, the increased intensity of the sunlight reflecting on the water vapor, caused near white-out conditions, slowing us further.

We finally broke out of the bottom of the clouds again somewhere around Santeelah. Even though it was about an hour before official sunset, the cloud cover and the shadows were starting to darken the roads. We made our way around US-129 towards Highway 28 and Fontana Village. At 8:10 pm we pull into the parking lot of the lodge. We head inside to check in. As we were crossing the Smoky Mountains, I kept having these visions of a nice, juicy steak for dinner. Only know, as we conclude checking in at 8:20 pm, do I get the bad news ÔÇô the dining room closed at 8:00 pm!

According to the front desk clerk, the closest open dining establishment she knew of was in Robbinsville. It's already after sundown. Going to Robbinsville would be about 30-40 minutes one-way along dark, unfamiliar, narrow, winding roads (most likely lined with vicious deer, just waiting for an unsuspecting motorcycle to blunder into their trap!) ÔÇô not a good idea to make the attempt. We do have several granola bars left over from the day's travels. Taking pity on us, the front desk clerk called the dining room and they graciously agreed to provide us with two, to-go orders of hot chicken strips, french fries and a couple of drinks.

With the motorcycle unpacked and food in hand, we headed to our room to turn in for the night. Tomorrow would be another day and the weather forecast looked good, very good!

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 6)

Thursday - April 16, 2009 (Day 6)

As I tended to do each day of this trip, when I awoke, the first thing I did was check the weather. Last night had looked very promising and I wanted to verify nothing had changed. I looked out the window and out front and could see there was a thin, wispy mist covering the ground but blue sky was visible beyond it. (Tell me again, why do they call them the Smokey Mountains?)

47MorningMist.jpg

48MorningMist.jpg

Having arrived the day before shortly after sundown, it was difficult to see what the grounds looked like. This is the lodge where we stayed, but Fontana is much more than just the lodge. There are also cabins, cabanas, campgrounds, a general store and a gas station on site as well.

49Fontana.jpg

50Fontana.jpg

After breakfast and checking out, we loaded up and headed off to face "The Dragon". The clear sky and the bright sun provided for the best photo opportunities of the trip so far.

51River.jpg

52SkyandRiver.jpg

53SkyandRiver.jpg

It didn't take too long before our first destination for the day came into view.

54DealsGap.jpg

Even though it was a weekday and not a weekend, there were several other motorcycle riders already there. (that rider at the pump? You have to admire his taste in motorcycles.)

55DealsGap.jpg

We parked and got off to look around for a while and to take a few pictures. Stephanie wanted to see the "Tree of Shame" and headed over to take a few pictures. Amidst all the motorcycle parts, helmets and boots were a couple of Big Wheels. There were also a pair of crutches, but I don't know what the story was behind them.

56TreeofShame.jpg

We also had to include a picture of the official mascot, Dragon.

57Mascot.jpg

Likewise we had to have the obligatory picture of the motorcycle in from of the Deal's Gap sign.

58InFrontofSign.jpg

After looking around Deal's Gap, taking some pictures and buying a couple of souvenirs, it was time to mount up and take on "The Dragon". Traffic was very light, in both directions. At the most we saw about a dozen motorcycles, including two trikes, heading the other direction. We encountered one 'wide-load" semi-truck but it was on one of the straighter sections, not at a corner, and proved not to be a problem. While rounding one left turning, blind corner we did suddenly encounter a large pickup truck (dual-tire rear axle, extra wide side mirrors) which was about 1/3 of the way across the yellow line into our lane. It only took a minor steering adjustment to increase our margin of safety and continue on our way.

59TOD.jpg

60TOD.jpg

61TOD.jpg

62TOD.jpg

63TOD.jpg

At one point while heading north, Stephanie came on the radio and excitedly announced, "That was Killboy!"

64Killboy.jpg

Not only was Killboy on "The Dragon" that day, so were, Moonshine Photos and US 129 Photos. When we returned home we looked up our pictures on each site.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK00W4060039&po=39

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0CVY00H5020360&po=360

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK00GJ030132&po=132

Everyone always seems interested in whether or not we saw any LEO presence on "The Dragon". As we rode through we didn't see a single one. However, after we finished "The Dragon" and were proceeding across the Foothills Parkway, we did see six motor officers out for a cruise. The markings on their motorcycles showed them to be from at least three different departments.

65sixmotorofficers.jpg

After making our way through the Foothills Parkway, we reluctantly had to leave the scenic vistas of the Smokey Mountains behind and begin our journey home. We made our way over to I-81 and headed back up to Abingdon, VA where we had stopped for the first night of our trip.

Spring Break - 2009 (Part 07 and Final)

Friday - April 17, 2009 (Day 7)

The morning of our last day on the road dawned just as beautiful and clear as the day before. The weather reports revealed it would be blue skies all the way home. Before this day ended both Stephanie and I would shed all cold-weather gear and pack it away. (Why couldn't all days on the road be like this one?) There weren't any planned stops along the way; however, we did take a rest break at a scenic overlook on I-64, just to the east of Waynesboro, VA. This is just east of where Skyline Drive ends (south end) and the Blue Ridge Parkway (north end) begins.

66I-64.jpg

67I-64.jpg

Throughout the trip, I would call my wife and keep her apprised of our progress. As we prepared to head back out, I called her again to let her know of our anticipated arrival and to find out what time she would be off work. I anticipated arriving home around 7:00 pm and she anticipated being off work by 8:00 pm. After I hung up, Stephanie suggested we surprise her mother by showing up unannounced at the restaurant where she worked as a general manager. If we timed it right, she would be able to join us for dinner. That sounded like a plan.

As the clock closed in on 7:00 pm, we were closing in on home. Shortly after turning into our neighborhood and making our way towards the back were we lived, I spotted my son-in-law heading the other way. He saw me too, we both waved and each of us continued on our separate ways.

Almost to the minute, we pulled into our driveway at 7:00 pm. Stephanie and I quickly unloaded the motorcycle, went inside and changed out of our riding gear. By 7:30 pm we were in the pickup truck and heading over to the restaurant were my wife worked and pulled in about fifteen minutes later. As my wife was expecting a phone call from us telling her we had arrived home, Stephanie positioned herself where she could see the store's phone and using her cell phone, called the restaurant and asked to speak to the manager. Her plan was to wait until her mother came to the phone and tell her to look to her left. Unfortunately, she was told the manager had clocked out and headed home about five minutes ago!

Remember where I mentioned passing my son-in-law? Well as best as I can figure out (no one is willing to confess to the whole truth), as he was passing me, he was on the cell phone with his wife (one of Stephanies older siblings) and told her we had just passed each other. Well, my other daughter, at that particular moment, just happened to be at the restaurant where my wife works. My daughter told my wife. My wife decided that since business was slow at that moment and the closing manager was already on duty for the remainder of the night, she would clock out and head home to join us. So as my daughter and I took one road out of the neighborhood towards the restaurant, my wife is taking a different road into the neighborhood towards the house (two ships passing in the night?).

So just who was the surprise on? After getting over laughing at ourselves over the missed connections, my wife came back to join us for dinner.

Thus ended a seven day journey on the road.

Most excellent report of what looks like a wonderful trip. What memories you will have of this time with your daughter! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for a great ride report! What a great shared experience you must have had. Very memorable.

01WeatherForecast.jpg

(Okay, some may consider going this far with charting the weather a little over-board, but it's the Ops Planner in me. I just can't let the little details go unaddressed. This might make the spontaneous trip I would like to do someday a little awkward to pull off.)

awesome report and great that you had the chance to do this with your daughter.

thank you very much for posting.

but man, looking over those spreadsheets and stuff, it's pretty clear that i would be a *horrible* travelling partner for you! :p

ian

Wow! What a great trip and time of memories for both you and your daughter! Thanks for taking us along for the ride! :thumb

Back