• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speedo cable attches to...?

the Wizard of Oz
To what does my speedo cable attach at the non-speedometer end?

Is it just too ridiculous to think that this vibration in the footpegs is somehow related to the fact the the speedometer/odometer stopped working at the same time the vibration appeared?

It attaches to the trans right before the output to the drive shaft and just in front of the rubber boot. Held in place by the same bolt that the battery negative ground attaches too. And I can't see how that would affect/cause any vibration either.

RM

It's not ridiculous. Airheads are very delicately balanced machines. The spinning speedo cable counterbalances secondary engine imbalance while the gears in the speedo itself control tertiary forces. Replace the cable and all will be well.

It's not ridiculous. Airheads are very delicately balanced machines. The spinning speedo cable counterbalances secondary engine imbalance while the gears in the speedo itself control tertiary forces. Replace the cable and all will be well.

while that may hold true for the 76 R90s, it has been shown that the inverse is true for all other airheads made in the 70s. :lol

RM

If the cable is broken - replace it. If the cable isn't broken you need to look further.

It could be in the speedo head. If it is - send it off for repair.

It could be in the transmission. And therein is the rub. If something is broken in the transmission then it could cause both an inoperable speedo (doesn't drive the cable) and vibration.

Bike on center stand, cable removed at the bottom end, boot off. Turn the rear wheel. Does the speedo gear turn - look down in the hole and see??

Report back!

while that may hold true for the 76 R90s, it has been shown that the inverse is true for all other airheads made in the 70s. :lol

RM

Thank you for clarifying this issue, but the inverse only applies to standard models. My description is correct for '70's S and RS models only. As 26667 has an RS, I stand by my original reply.

Success! Eureka! Woo-hoo!

Well, first thanx to all, Paul Glaves most recently and crucially, and a hearty hi-ho Si-i-i-l-ver! I took a look at the speedo cable. As I pulled up the rubber boot or bell on the tranny end of the cable, it was obviously not fully inserted into the worm gear in the tranny and when I gave a little tug, the whole cable just came right out. The vented bolt was still in and holding the ground strap, but not pressing against that indented doughnut; the "keeper" or whatever, thru which the cable goes. The rubber cup that sits in the housing was slightly damaged so for $1.63 we replaced it, put it back together, put a bit of sealant on the top of the bell. And she runs like a little top.:clap Oh yeah, and the speedo/odo works just fine now.
No buzz in the pegs, that really nice sweet spot is back at 4200 rpm, and I'm a very happy owner with a load of new knowledge and even more appreciation for all the folks on the forum as well as several of the guys who frequent my guru's shop.:bow

I wouldn't own another brand for all the world. Not because any styling or engineering, but for the people. BMW people are remarkable. See you next riding season...and any days above 45 in Chicago.:bliss

Amazing. It is like reading an O. Henry story. Glad you got it solved.

Did you get the oil / excess fuel problem sorted out?

schnelleste motorrad der velt!

Everything seems to be sorted out. It's not using oil. I was wrong. That was carbon on the back of the exhaust. One one the choke cables I thought I'd fixed was hanging up again. Re-fixed. I'll replace them. Guru checked the rings and they're A-ok (remember THAT expression?). Short story is; my bike is in great shape and running beautifully. I've repaired, re-built, or replaced just about everything but the clutch and tranny. We've looked at 'em am once ogain A-ok at only 24000 mi. Heck, I even have a new gas tank for criminy sakes!

It's going to be about 45-50 here in Chicago and I don't have to leave for work till noon, so I'm gonna tool up and down the tollway for an hour and enjoy the ride. I won't win the mileage contest, but I'm walking away with the 2008, happy/relieved title!

I hadn't intened to restore a classic BMW, but that's what I was dealt. Live and learn, I guess. I wouldn't mind having the money back in my pocket, but I wouldn't trade the bike for anything.:german

Everything seems to be sorted out. It's not using oil. I was wrong. That was carbon on the back of the exhaust. One one the choke cables I thought I'd fixed was hanging up again. Re-fixed. I'll replace them. Guru checked the rings and they're A-ok (remember THAT expression?). Short story is; my bike is in great shape and running beautifully. I've repaired, re-built, or replaced just about everything but the clutch and tranny. We've looked at 'em am once ogain A-ok at only 24000 mi. Heck, I even have a new gas tank for criminy sakes!

It's going to be about 45-50 here in Chicago and I don't have to leave for work till noon, so I'm gonna tool up and down the tollway for an hour and enjoy the ride. I won't win the mileage contest, but I'm walking away with the 2008, happy/relieved title!

I hadn't intened to restore a classic BMW, but that's what I was dealt. Live and learn, I guess. I wouldn't mind having the money back in my pocket, but I wouldn't trade the bike for anything.:german

Well that's certainly good to hear! and I learned something new as well, I would never have thought that a loose speedo cable would cause noticeable vibrations in the footpegs, but it seems it can, who'dathunk?? Glad shes back to tip top shape, nothing like and un-solved mystery to worry your ride!

RM

"unsolved mysteries"

They take the fun out of riding, especially if you lack confidence that you might be able to fix it and at least get home. But after the past two years with my friend/guru and the folks on this forum, it's not quite as distressing anymore and I have a great deal more confidence in the machine, having been through so much of it. As I said, it's not exactly what I was aiming at when I bought it, but I've gotten so much that I never bargained for.

Last edited:
Well that's certainly good to hear! and I learned something new as well, I would never have thought that a loose speedo cable would cause noticeable vibrations in the footpegs, but it seems it can, who'dathunk?? Glad shes back to tip top shape, nothing like and un-solved mystery to worry your ride!

RM

And you thought I was just kidding...no one ever listens...

What? what'd you say?:nyah

But seriously, it wasn't even "replace the cable" in the sense I assume you really meant; that is; buying and installing a new cable. I just re placed the cable. Sheesh.

Though if you have the time and interest to write, I'm not sure what's meant by secondary and tertiary balance. First-ary balance seems pretty obvious. the carbs, valves and ingnition timing all synched up...right?

Back