• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speech by Peter M??ller BMW Motorrad Motorsport

mika

Still Wondering
Speech by Peter M??ller
Executive Vice President Development and Model Lines BMW Motorrad
Intermot 2008
Cologne, 07.10.2008
BMW Motorrad Motorsport ÔÇô Looking Back and Looking Ahead.

Ladies and gentlemen,
I would also like to welcome you very warmly.
Before you look at our K 1300 models close-up, I would ask for a moment of your
attention.

We would like to inform you briefly about our motorsports activities, especially about our
Superbike project.

As far as our off-road plans for the 2009 season are concerned, we will inform you later
this year.

At this point I can only say this much: we have a lot planned next year and a couple of
surprises in store.

However, today l want to concentrate on on-road motorsports.

In 2007 and 2008 our factory team competed against strong competition with the HP2
Sport in a total of nine international long distance races. Famous endurance classics such as Le Mans, Bol dÔÇÖOr and Daytona 200 were raced.

Considering how far the other teams were ahead of us with regards to performance and
experience, we did very well and achieved the successes we were aiming for.
The encouraging reactions also clearly showed how the public welcomes the renewed
BMW Motorrad commitment in on-road motorsports.

Apart from competing itself these two years were also important in preparing for the
Superbike world championship.

We used the time to update our racetrack skills and knowledge and gained a lot of
experience. By entering the Superbike world championship we are taking the next step.
The interesting and very emotional long-distance commitment by BMW Motorrad is thus
over for the time being.

However, we are convinced that the BMW brand will be represented by private teams
riding our S 1000 RR in the Endurance world championship.

This brings me to our Superbike project.

Let me say a few words about our S 1000 RR ÔÇô our series motorcycle ÔÇô before I talk
about our racing activities.

I can already promise you that this completely new motorcycle with 1000 cc inline four cylinder engine will be an absolutely convincing and competitive offer both with regards
to price and technology.

I will point this out by highlighting a few details:
With its compact cylinder head the engine has a very slim design.

The valves are operated by very small, compact and light cam followers whose
dimensions are at Formula One level. This type of construction ensures very high engine
speeds and permits the greatest degree of freedom in designing the engine with regard
to torque and output.

The motorcycle will weigh less than 205 kg fully fuelled.

That means we will be right up front next year regarding output-to-weight ratio.
Overall the entire package is very compact and light.

Which of course mainly benefits the handling of the motorcycle.

And, ladies and gentlemen,
Thanks to specially developed electronics components on the S 1000 RR, BMW
Motorrad is once again the trailblazer in this area.

A dynamic traction control will be available for our supersports bike. The functional principle of this traction control is taken directly from motorsports.

In addition a completely new Sport ABS will be available for the series model.
We are totally convinced that we have here exactly what the customer wants.

The S 1000 RR will be thrilling to ride both on the road and on the racetrack. Handling,
output delivery and output-to-weight will be at top level.

A great deal of inventive details will contribute to the S 1000 RR achieving an illustrious
place in the series of four-cylinder motorcycles.

The motorcycle can be ordered from spring 2009.
As far as our motorsports preparations for the Superbike world championship are
concerned we have been able to win over two real Superbike racing personalities for our
team ÔÇô Ruben Xaus and Troy Corser. We are very proud of having these two riders in our Motorsport Team.

With the Spaniard Ruben Xaus we have a great, aggressive rider capable of enormous
emotion and racing passion who has Superbike WC and MotoGP experience and is
consistently up at the front in this yearÔÇÖs Superbike World Championship.

I donÔÇÖt need to tell you much about Troy Corser. With over 300 races the Australian is the most experienced rider in the Supebike World Championship. Two World Championship titles and countless victories and podium positions speak for themselves.

These two riders are ideal for us. I would even go so far as to say they are the absolute
dream team. Their long years of experience will be very valuable especially in the
challenging early stages. They will contribute greatly to us reaching the level of the top
teams as fast as possible. As we already announced, BMW Motorrad is not joining the
Superbike World Championship just for the fun of taking part. Our mid-term goal is quite
clearly to win the World Championship title.

We are exactly on schedule regarding the development of the race bike.

As you know our racing activities are carried out in close cooperation with our partner
Alpha-Racing.

The newly built racing team headquarters near Rosenheim have been operational for
some time and will be officially opened this month. Our racing bike will be further refined
in the workshops there as well as on diverse test tracks. The entire team is highly
motivated and canÔÇÖt wait for the first race.

In April of this year we presented the first racing bike prototype. Some of you have
already witnessed us testing the bike on the race track.

Today we are proud to be able to present to you the official race bike for the Superbike
World Championship 2009. May I ask our head of motorports Berti Hauser and our model series manager Markus Poschner to join me up on the stage.

Ladies and gentlemen,
Here is the race bike by BMW Motorrad Motorsport Team Alpha Racing for the season

388867958_YdShw-L.jpg

388869081_UB5fQ-L.jpg

388869823_82rwE-L.jpg

388866326_n6pFS-L.jpg

388867022_negxW-L.jpg

388870484_mPdqh-L.jpg

Wow! THAT's a BMW??

This is going to cause excitement not seen around a BMW Dealer or gathering in a long time.
Many of the old school will scoff and think its a waste...most will think its the best thing they could have done to move the company beyond the boxer.
Its a new world out there, with mostly young people in it, and its good BMW has seen the light.

It is rumored elsewhere that the base price on the bike is only $6,000.
Mirrors, however, are $24,000 additional.

Now if I could just find a dealer to put in my order!

That is a BMW.

They are taking this bike World Superbike Racing. The civilian model will be out soon. No prices yet. BMW in the past has said it will be competatively priced with the Superbike market. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means in dollars.

Dealers will be taking orders in the spring according to the releases. Before we get our undies in a bundle that could be spring 2010 for the US [only my cautious guess].

Uh Oh,

I just rode the new G450X on Sunday and I am sure I will be getting one of those in the next year or so.

Now they drop this on me?

The Superbike looks awesome.

I have bought 4 new BMWs in the last 4 years. Are they trying to make it 6 in the last six years?

Amazing product line development when you consider the plodding pace the big four are showing over the last several years.

SCQTT

Wow! THAT's a BMW??

This is going to cause excitement not seen around a BMW Dealer or gathering in a long time.
Many of the old school will scoff and think its a waste...most will think its the best thing they could have done to move the company beyond the boxer.
Its a new world out there, with mostly young people in it, and its good BMW has seen the light.

It is rumored elsewhere that the base price on the bike is only $6,000.
Mirrors, however, are $24,000 additional.

Now if I could just find a dealer to put in my order!

Note Herr Muller's comments regarding price. I've heard from a couple sources that the street version of this bike will be priced right in the ballpark with the Japanese competitors, which should put BMW between Japan Inc. and Ducati.

Back