• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spare Fuses

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I like to have spare fuses on hand-just in case. My 2018 R1200 GS has three fuses. The 7.5-amp and 10-amp mini blade fuses are standard mini blade fuses. The third fuse is a 50 amp (I believe a bolt-on fuse) for the alternator regulator. Do people keep a spare 50-amp fuse on hand for this?

I keep the smaller fuses, but not the 50amp. I figure if that one blows, I'm probably in bigger trouble than I can fix on the road.
That's what the AAA card is for.

The third fuse is a 50 amp (I believe a bolt-on fuse) for the alternator regulator. Do people keep a spare 50-amp fuse on hand for this?

By the way, where is it located? Too many motorcycles and cars to keep track of it all. I know where the fuses are on my R100 GS and R1150 GSA, but I never paid much attention to my R1200 GSA.

My 2011RT doesn't have fuses, the 16RS does. I keep several 7.5 and 10 amp in my 24/7 kit in a pannier. I don't have the 50amp fuse, wouldn't know where it was on the side of the road nor whether replacing it would solve why it blew to begin with.

For about $16, it may be prudent to carry that 50-amp fuse. If it blows a second time, then you have issues.

I haven't seen one personally, but from previous discussions, while the exact location may vary a bit, the general place seems to be on the right side of the frame just below the seat.

For about $16, it may be prudent to carry that 50-amp fuse. If it blows a second time, then you have issues.

I haven't seen one personally, but from previous discussions, while the exact location may vary a bit, the general place seems to be on the right side of the frame just below the seat.

I researched where that fuse was on my 16RS, may order one some day. It's where one can get at it fairly easily under the seat

I would think that blowing a 50A fuse would be a sign of an electrical problem severe enough that field replacement would not be likely to be successful. Just sayin’.

Best,
DeVern

By the way, where is it located? Too many motorcycles and cars to keep track of it all. I know where the fuses are on my R100 GS and R1150 GSA, but I never paid much attention to my R1200 GSA.

On my 2018 R1200 GS, they are located under the seat closer to the gas tank. According to the owner's manual, the 7.5 amp fuse is for the multifunction switch, left Tire Pressure Control (TCP/RDC). The 10 amp fuse is for the Instrument Cluster, Anti-theft alarm system (DWA), Ignition switch and Diagnostic socket.

FWIW, the 50 amp fuse is indicated to be for the alternator regulator. So, if it goes, I assume you would not get proper charging. Don't know what would cause that to blow and if wouldn't just blow again if it were replaced. That being said, as set of three 50 amp bolt on fuses is about $10 on Amazon. Just make sure that you bring the appropriate tools to replace it. FYI, no tools are required to replace the 7.5 and 10 amp fuses.

Back