• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side stand question 09 K1200LT

dthogey

First of all I am new to this site. My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question. I wasn't sure where to start.

I just purchased an 09 K1200LT. I went for a ride yesterday with 4 Harley buddies. Whenever we stopped and I used the side stand (I primarily use the center stand) we were all surprised at how far over the LT leaned. It leans farther over than any of the Harley's. I am scared to use it. Is this normal??

Thanks for your help,

David

David,

I'm moving this to the correct forum. The "Flying Brick K-Bikes" is for the laid-down 3 and 4 cylinder engine bikes BMW made from 1985 to this year (the '10 K1200LT was the final "Flying Brick")..

Hang on..

Woops - I'm moving it back, I see you have one of the last bricks (attribute the moves to Monday morning brain pharts..)

Hang on again..

Whew..

We're back in the right place.

Just for future reference - it is helpful to put the Year/Model of your bike in the thread title. That tends to attract people to the thread who may have something useful to impart. I'm adding it to your thread title. Please do this in future threads..

Now - your question - without knowing the actual angle the bike was leaning, it's hard to say if it's normal. It's not unusual for BMWs to lean considerably further on the sidestand then other bikes.. it actually makes the BMW more stable in windy conditions. A photo of your bike on the sidestand would be useful.

Whew..

We're back in the right place.

Just for future reference - it is helpful to put the Year/Model of your bike in the thread title. That tends to attract people to the thread who may have something useful to impart. I'm adding it to your thread title. Please do this in future threads..

Now - your question - without knowing the actual angle the bike was leaning, it's hard to say if it's normal. It's not unusual for BMWs to lean considerably further on the sidestand then other bikes.. it actually makes the BMW more stable in windy conditions. A photo of your bike on the sidestand would be useful.

Ok, I will be much more specific next time. Thanks for the help.

LT lean, my 02LT does not lean as far as my 85KRT. The earlier LT's had some issue with the bikes rolling off of the side stand when parked so BMW may have made a slight adjustment for this. NOTE: I do not know if this is a fact or not...

I have never heard or read of a a side stand failing on an LT so in my opinion I would not worry about it unless you park in soft dirt or on a slope.

Roy

Back