• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

side car installation

MADDOG

Can anyone steer me { pun intended} to an outfit that can install a hack on my ,93 R100GSPD ?
TY
MAD DOG

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you already have a used tub and are looking for help modifying the subframe and attaching it to your bike? Are you looking to have a sidecar built for your bike?

Pete

Thank you both. Do not have a tub. Starting from square one. Will contact both Kevin.
TY
MD

Others have mentioned some quality builders. You might want to call and enquire if they would modify the mounts of a used tub to fit yours. Also, be careful with some home-engineered stuff out there; sometimes even widely known shops turned out shoddy work. As an example read the “A fan of DMC” thread on the Hack forum of ADVRIDER. It’s full of failures an informed consumer would do well to be aware of

Last edited:
Others have mentioned some quality builders. You might want to call and enquirer if they would modify the mounts of a used tub to fit yours. Also, be careful with some home-engineered stuff out there; sometimes even widely known shops turned out shoddy work. As an example read the “A fan of DMC” thread on the Hack forum of ADVRIDER. It’s full of failures an informed consumer would do well to be aware of

Lots of good information on the Hacks forum also. Probably more active than The MOA sidecar forum. Also something to consider will be the cost of building/installing a sidecar on your existing GS, versus looking for one already built, properly setup and dialed in. There are some really good outfits out there for a fraction of the price of what it will cost you to build one. As a comparison, it may cost $30,000 to build one, but you may find the same outfit for sale for $15,000. My opinion, let the original owner take the hit. Save your money.

Best of luck to you and look forward to seeing you on the road, on three wheels soon.
Ride easy.

To follow up on what Gary suggested.. I see there currently is a 1980 R100 sidecar combination with a leading link front fork listed for sale in the moa marketplace.

thanks

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and advice. i'm slowing down a bit at 71yo, and my bumblebee is a handful with my 9.2 gallon tank ...long 500 mile days are a thing of the past i fear. Still, i've had/am having a great run. See you all in Redmond.
MAD DOG:drink "The beer must flow"

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and advice. i'm slowing down a bit at 71yo, and my bumblebee is a handful with my 9.2 gallon tank ...long 500 mile days are a thing of the past i fear. Still, i've had/am having a great run. See you all in Redmond.
MAD DOG:drink "The beer must flow"

You may want to also consider having both for a while. It takes a bit to transition to a sidecar. Build the muscle memory etc. Just jumping on is not a thing someone should just do. Well I did but then I am ME! Anyways maybe look at buying a complete rig, keep your bumblebee and switch back and forth for a while. Determine if it works then commit.

Back