• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side/battery covers for a R65?

dbrick, thanks for the reply, I don't mind the different material, I want SS. I can figure out a way to mount them. I don't know how much difference there is between the frame of a R65, and a R75/5?

Phil,

The wheelbase is about the same, but I don't know if the frame shape is. The design (styling) is quite different too.

If you can find someone with a small-frame R65 (1979-1984) you could see the size and shape of the stock side cover. Here's a pair on eBay to look at, minus the stock decals.

-David

I have the original stock plastic side covers for my R65. I wish I had access to a stock Rxx/5 side cover, so I could try it. I may paint the ones I have silver.

Entering the year and model(ST, LS,etc.) helps a lot when asking about a bike.
If you look on the Max BMW parts fiche and find the part number for your bike, then go the the "parts search" section and enter that number, all the bikes that part will fit pop up.

Pretty slick.

The year is important. I think the late model R65s used the same frame as the other models. Earlier R65s had a unique frame.

The year is important. I think the late model R65s used the same frame as the other models. Earlier R65s had a unique frame.

I believe that's correct, and would be corroborated by doing what I said above.

Te early ones shared a frame with the R45's only.
Later ones with quite a few other airheads.

True, but it may still depend on year. The 1985 and up R65 machines used the same monolever frame as the larger-displacement bikes made at the same time. The OP, however, was asking about the sidecovers from a mid-70s airhead, which I'll guess will be quite different than the parts used in the mid-80s and after.

Jeff, Thanks for the link, as I said before, I have those original stock plastic covers. I like the look of the stainless steel covers. The ones in the link look like they might fit, the shape of my R65 frame is similar. I'm going to look for an early 70's bike that I can go look at and make some measurements. Thanks again, Phil

Back