• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scorpio Alarm with Eastern Beaver Fuse Panel

racer7

Just installed a Scorpio SR-i300 alarm with perimeter sensor that is wired to an Eastern Beaver fuse panel.

The EB panel makes the install simple- both the "battery" (black wire) and "switched" (orange wire) can go to the panel.

The perimeter sensor for the alarm has adjustable sensitivity and plugs into the alarm box with its own wiring plug.

The remote can arm the system with or without the perimeter sensor being activated and can arm the alarm silently if you don't want audible notification.

The alarm connects to turn signals for visual notification.

The system can be purchased with an ignition immobilizer/anti hijack feature that I don't have. One EWS-like device is plenty for me.

Because my fuse panel takes its trigger from the rear accessory outlet that is controlled by the bike computer, it takes about 15 seconds to shut down after the ignition is turned off. This posed a minor problem when having the alarm "learn" the additional remote I purchased because putting the alarm into "learning mode" requires 3 on/off switchings in less than 6 seconds. I did a work around by temporarily installing a "push-pull" switch in the alarm switched (orange) wire and connecting it to the battery lead in the fuse panel. The switch jumper got removed after the remote was recognized by the alarm.

Alarm sold by Airtonix. Parts total about $190.

Everything fits under the passenger seat. Obvously many other installation variants are possible. An alarm like this really only 1 layer of the possible anti theft protections.

Attachments

• Scorpio-alarm-install.jpg
    Scorpio-alarm-install.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the comments.

A few additional details
1) The bike is an 08 R1200 RT
2) The rear of the bike is at the left of the photo above.
3) From L to R in the photo - uncovered Eastern Beaver fuse panel, the microwave perimeter sensor showing the temporary jumper switch to put alarm into learning mode so additional remote can be recognized by the alarm, and the alarm itself with its two harness connectors on the upper part in the photo.
4) The Eastern Beaver box has 6 switch and 2 unswitched connections, all of which can be individually fused. The alarm was supplied with a 15 A fuse in its main lead so that is what I put in the fuse slot, discarding the in line fuse supplied with the alarm.
5) The small round spot on top of the perimeter sensor is the access port for the perimeter sensor sensitivity. Its done with a small screewdriver on a pot and is a bit touchy but not too bad to adjst to whatever you want. For me, I want it operational in parking lots but without causing a alarm everytime someone walks with 5 ft of the bike so I dialed it down some.
6) The alarm has battery protection features built in - 10 day and 21 day partial disables if bike is not used. However, mine is garaged and plugged into a charger when not in use so with the alarm set, there is still no battery drain.
7) The perimeter sensor and alarm are velcroed to the fender. The EB panel is through bolted and spaced off the fender so wires can be run under it.
8) The alarm can be set to arm automatically if you prefer that. I don't so I left it in the manual armed default mode.

Will need some time in wet and cold weather to make a final assessment. If it can make the winter reliably without any wierd behaviors that would confirm my initial assessment that this is a decent alarm system. Airtronix/Scorpion also makes pager type alarms if you don't mind carrying a larger remote. One of the latter uses an RFID remote but I don't know if that can operate in a compatible mode with the RT's RFID key system given that the bike can get confused if it has two "approved" keys being carried by the owner.

So far this looks like a viable system for RT owners who want to ad an alarm to their layered deterrents.

Back