• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Same road - very different average speed

BCKRider

Kbiker
Just read an article in the local paper about a single RCMP officer who wrote something like a dozen speeding tickets in a couple hours on a highway about 25K south of where I live - all between 7 and 9 am. Don't start screaming "speed trap" just yet. This highway is posted at 90 kph and he only ticketed folks going 120 or better! Apparently 120 was about the average speed and he got one guy doing 140. (The article mentioned the possibility of more cops checking speed on this highway.)

What I found really interesting is that I frequently drive/ride this highway, but not at those hours, usually go about 100 kph in good weather and am only occasionally passed by slightly faster vehicles.

So are these considerably supra-legal speeds just "commuter norm" or what? BTW, the article mentioned there was also the possibility of black ice while this enforcement took place.

As long as they leave us alone below 110, I have to support this enforcement.

I would rather see realistic speed limits, sensibly enforced, than superficially low limits with an ill-defined amount of "leeway".

In Ontario, on Highway 401, by far the heaviest travelled road in the country, the speed limit is unreasonably low. At 100 km/h, given the engineering, distances involved and capabilities of modern vehicles, the limit could easily be 20 km/h higher.

Other jurisdictions (many US states or European countries) would be posted at 120-130.

In reality, the O.P.P. won't touch you at less than 115 km/h and you're generally safe up to 120. For decades, I have set my cruise control at 115 and have driven past police running radar and they don't even flinch. The bothersome part is they can have you if they want to. This creates a scofflaw attitude where people (like me) have an expectation they can break the law with no consequence.

The politicians don't have the backbone to create a realistic speed limit for the fear of reaction from the enviro/safety weenies, so have given the police licence to not enforce the law. I'd far rather have the limit at 120 and know I'd get a ticket for 5 over.

In Ontario, we still have the reduced speed limits from the energy crisis of the '70s. Unlike many jurisdictions, our speeds have never gone back up. We have signs on the 401 that state fines and points begin at 120 km/hr. In realty, fines begin at anything over 100 km and points begin at 116 km/hr, according to the Ontario Traffic Act. I always set my cruise at 114 and when necessary, go faster to keep with the traffic flow.

What frustrates me is that I really do not know what speed is ticket free on the 400 series highways in Ontario. Most travel well over 100 km/hr and law enforcement can give a ticket at any speed over that, depending upon the officer, his interpretation of speeding, his (non-existent) quota, a bad day with his boss or wife etc. A posted legal 120 km/hr would be a realistic speed for those roads. :banghead

Widebmw:
Now I know my sister is a air head. Even she has some spark of a brain cell living in that thing called a skull.

But holy cows, that one really has not a clue... Wonder if he has to teacher her how to feed herself at every sitting.

Back to original posting....

Being from the States and not wanting to get a trophy whilst visiting Canada I started off paying attention to the speeds. After being on the road for 2 days and getting passed like I was still in 1st gear I cranked it up a bit. I did find that as long as I was doing between 115 / 120 km/h all I got was looks.

When I returned back to the States I was still in km/h thought, but that is for another post. :doh

Back