• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sacrificing for the Wethead members...bar risers testing

motodan

Okay, this set of bar risers (from China), for a '22 R1250RT, have dropped into my lap. I'm willing to be the guy to test this set. All I need is some input on torque valves. They are made of 6061 Aluminum with stainless steel 8.8 grade bolts. The torque on OEM set up is 30 ft lbs. Anyone mounted these type risers before? They cost $36.00 as compared to Ilium's $112, Wunderlich's $380 and Heli's $399. Yes, I know price comparison can best be done from a hospital bed, I plan to use the difference in price to buy additional crash insurance! Torque anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_9004.jpg
    IMG_9004.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I'm going to add a bit to the title for better view of what the thread is about!

I am old school, and will maybe end up in a hospital bed for it, but I have a belief that my gut sense of torque for items like this, coupled with Loktite, will suffice.

Not necessarily.

They look like Ilium knockoffs. Go to their site, watch the video on install and you should be good.
You may be right, but only if the materials and surface finishes are the same. Knock-offs often look similar, but the materials are not identical. For instance, the risers could be castings, while the originals were forgings, requiring a different clamping force. I'm not against trying, only stating that things which look the same may not be the same and therefore required different handling.
As a former mechanical/manufacturing engineer I can unequivocally state that there is one heck of a profit being made at $300. The company making them for 40 bucks is making a profit, what is the 300 buck guy making? That said, the evaluation will be one in which I am interested. I was on the verge of going for the cheapies myself.

Tables exist that provide suggested torque values. Links are below for some examples. Note: - use of stainless steel in aluminum can result in "galling", which is like a cold weld or galvanic corrosion. Some thread lubricant (anti-seize or thread locker) is often recommended.

When I purchased my first motorcycle (I was around 13 years old) I soon discovered that the ideal torque was about one-half a turn before the threads stripped or the fastener broke. I learned how to use an easy-out and tap before I fully understood the notion of "torque".

https://www.fastenal.com/content/fe...ic Stainless Steel Fasteners A2 and A4-70.pdf

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Torque of Metric Stainless Steel.pdf

https://www.metalworkmasters.com/materials/stainless-steel-screws-in-aluminum/

Back