• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Russell seat owners question.

D

DETOUR

I know the which seat is better discussion can go on and on,but let me pose this question to anyone who owns a russell seat.I have plans on purchasing one and have a production date already,but ran across one that is basically brand new.He rode it for 500 miles.He said he does not like the "ridge" on the back of the seat.I understand these are custom made but the only differences in the dimensions in what he gave russell and what I gave them is this gentleman is 15#heavier than me and 1/2 inch longer inseam on him as well.The seat is in new condition with the chance to save some serious $.Do you think these differences are significant enough to bite the bullet and pay full price or not. Also has anyone else had a issue with the ridge bothering them. Thanks for some advice.

we have a used Russell but were fortunate that our body type, weight etc matched the original owners. It really doesn't seem to me that your variance should be of great concern. Great saddle and if you can get it for a fraction of the original then I would do it. If I lost 15 lbs I wouldn't go out and get a new one. Maybe the used one will give you a bit more room than the original owner?? - Bob

I'd say, "Go for it." There seems to be a pretty active market for used Russell seats, on the off chance it doesn't work for you.

I have a Russell on my R1150GS, and I love it. I got the leather seating surface (a first for me) and I'm very happy with it.

I had the seat made using measurements and pictures. Being a tightwad, I was pretty nervous, but the factory seat and a Corbin that was on the bike when I bought it didn't "fit" me well, and were making me unhappy.

My first long day onthe Russell, I was starting to wonder if I'd been "taken to the cleaners." I started thinking about it, and I realized I was about 450 miles into the day, with no discomfort. I hadn't needed to shift positions, lift one cheek up, or any of the old "tricks" I used to use to get through a long day.

I'd buy a Russell again in a heartbeat, with no reservations!

Go for it !!! I bought mine used also. mine was built for someone 25 lbs lighter than me, but works fine. as long as the inseam measurement isn't more than a 2" differance you will be fine. I had to kinda re break mine in to fit me. I like the ridge on the back. good luck......

Used vs. New Russell Seat

As I recall, Russell will rebuild one of their seats again for a nominal fee. Basically, they take it apart, rework the spring and foam, making it for your new measurements. The price used to be <$200 for this service, as I recall.

I don't believe that includes any new cover, but I'd ask them. They have aways been pretty forthright with me on the phone.

My old KLT Russell had a noticeable 'ridge,' but it was because I installed bar backs AFTER I bought the Russell seat. The comfort level wasn't bad enough to need rebuilding, but I did consider removing the bar backs.

One thing is certain: hardly anyone who ever owns a Russell will buy any other custom saddle. They're that good.

Well,the seat is on the way.I am gonna try it out and if I dont think its the right fit for me I will keep my production date with Russell and put this one back on the market.

We are about to order a set.
What it their current turn-around time from you placing the order to them shipping it out?
Thanks,

However!

My experience with Russell is that they will try to get your seat to you when you must have it for a ride. In a phone call, I politely explained that I was hoping to make a trip, and the date. The lady said she'd call me back.

She did. And I made my departure date.

Just don't abuse it, eh?

Jim

The reason I say approximately 1 1/2 monthes is when I talked to them just before x mas they had just taken a large order,I think they said maybe 80 or so seats from a large BMW club and were booked into mid FEB.

The reason I say approximately 1 1/2 monthes is when I talked to them just before x mas they had just taken a large order,I think they said maybe 80 or so seats from a large BMW club and were booked into mid FEB.

Good for them. They make a great product and I'm happy to hear they're keeping busy.

I think you will find the used seat will fit well. I purchased a 2004 R1150RT this fall with a Day Long Seat. The owner was about my weight but was 2-4 inches taller. This does make me slide up closer to the tank to get my feet on the ground because of the wing tabs on the seat. However the comfort when cruising is worth the extra effort. Enjoy!

I think they do a group buy once a year, the one they did in Nov was if K-Bikes.com got 50 people to order seats in Nov they would get a 20% discount.

Back