• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rush

gambrinus

I thought I'd toss this out there since the drummer / lyricist for the band, Neil Peart is also an avid BMW rider and motorcycling author... Went to see the band last night at Red Rocks here in Denver. All that I can say is HOLY SMOKES!! (or some other non-G rated expletive) They are out on the road for their 30th anniversary tour and they played like the road veterans that they are. If you dig the band, or remember listening to them in your past, all I can say is DO NOT miss this show. I'm still amazed...

Cheers

RW

I used to love Rush"Red Barchetta","YYZ w/ Neil Perts incredible drum solo". I will see when they are playing out here. I didn't even think about seeing them pryor to your post. Because their later music kinda lost their edge(in my opnion).

Never seen them

but I bet they kick bbbbooty. Good word, I will see if they are coming to our neck o' the woods.
Neal P always has the most outrageous drum kits. something like eleventeen-eighty four tom toms and he used them all! (Bonus that he rides beemers, eh?)

Did you know

That Pert also writes the lyrics to all the Rush tunes? A very deep, thoughtful person. His last book proved that. Rush rocks!

MarkF

Even before the commercial success of Moving Pictures (Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer etc.), two of my favorites were and still are Hemispheres and Permanant Waves. The cover of Permanant Waves is absolutely awesome.

Neil Peart is absolutely the most talented musician in the group. He is generally considered one of the top 10 drummers in rock n roll, period.

I thought Neil Pearts "Ghost Rider" was OK. The first 80% of the book which was primarily his journal on his year long ride was extremely well written and thought provoking. The last part of the book you could tell he was involved in a new relationship and was healing over his personal tragedy (good for him), but it was almost as if he was being pressed to finish the book on a time schedule. I would still recommend it to anyone that loves to ride.

Anyway, great to hear that they are on the road and are putting on a good show. I would love to see them live if they perform somewhere in the southeast.

James O said:
I thought Neil Pearts "Ghost Rider" was OK. The first 80% of the book which was primarily his journal on his year long ride was extremely well written and thought provoking. The last part of the book you could tell he was involved in a new relationship and was healing over his personal tragedy (good for him), but it was almost as if he was being pressed to finish the book on a time schedule. I would still recommend it to anyone that loves to ride.

Agreed on the book finish. I would say don't read the last two chapters if you do read it. Those two just ruined the book for me.

Looks like I missed the tour this time... Although tickets are still on sale for their show in Chicago on June 2, 2004 - according to their website.

I saw them6.23 here in Dallas...WOW!!!!! I've been a fan since 1988 and I was really blown away! It was my third time seeing them but I still think it ranked in the top small handful of concerts I've ever been to! Even non-fans would have enjoyed it. They really pulled out some tops to celebrate 30 years. One thing they did was to look back at their origins as a struggling local band back in Totonto in the late 1960s, so they included in the set a few of the cover songs they used to play in those days, such as Summertime blues, Crossroads, and an acoustic version of The Animal's Heart of Stone. Most of those will be on the Feedback album, which is a cover set of stuff they played in the old days.

But the original stuff rocked the best and many of the songs hadn't been performed in many years. The show opened with a kikckass instrumental medley of many early songs and the main set concluded with the biggest version of Working Man I've ever heard. And then the encores!

WOW! WOW! WOW!
GO SEE RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Neil has a new book out too, called Traveling Music. THis one's about a car trip from California to Big Bend and about the reflections on music he made during the trip. I've only read the first page or so, but it promises to be good.

I have been waiting since the late seventies to see them, it is on my to-do list!

I've seen the band 3 times. Each time better than the last. If they get closer than Chicago or St.Louis, I'll go again. A GREAT show

BradfordBenn said:
Agreed on the book finish. I would say don't read the last two chapters if you do read it. Those two just ruined the book for me.

Looks like I missed the tour this time... Although tickets are still on sale for their show in Chicago on June 2, 2004 - according to their website.

I bet you can a real good deal on tickets for June 2.

Never seen 'em live, but I can honestly say that I am NEVER finished with a stereo I own until it sounds just right when Geddy sings "...and the meek shall inherit the Earth..." and then they blast your brains out.

Side one of 2112 is maybe the best 'crank it up' half-hour of rock music ever made.

I was way into Rush back in high school. ('80-'84) I saw them twice back then - Moving Pictures tour, and Signals tour. Both very good shows. I kind of lost intrest in them as I got into other kinds of music, but recently someone loaned me the "Rush in Rio" DVD. If you haven't seen this, buy, borrow, or steal a copy of it pronto.

Evidently Rush has a huge number of fans in Brazil, but they were totally unaware of this fact. Eventually they found out, and they went down there, and there were people there who had been waiting years and years for them to come down. The energy of the crowd is amazing, and it seems to have inspired the band as well. They rock pretty hard for a bunch of old guys.

I enjoyed the first part of "Ghost Rider", but as the book wore on, I got increasingly irritated with it. He never really makes a connection between his travels and the healing process. All we can see is that they happen at the same time. Also, I would have liked to have seen some thought given to how he might have had to handle the situation if he were not a rich rock star and had to hold down a job. Basically, I think he should stick to travel writing, and leave the Deep Thoughts for his songs.

Saw Rush in Tampa Friday, and In Atlanta last night, what a show!!!!! I have been a fan for years and have wanted to see them do some of the old songs for a while, and I was not dissapointed. I was able to get back stage and saw Neils Bmw's and 1150 and a 1200. I was also able to meet Geddy and Alex, Nice guys...although there tour manager was a real ass. Well If you have the chance, and have been putting off going to see them now would be a good time, Great show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :D :) :clap :clap

They're at the Centre Bell in Montreal on August 21 (Saturday) for two shows...
I think I'll go snag some tickets...

Here's some Red Sector A, to brighten up your Sunday night, especially in the snowbound East:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ivnvKIu4mg

got well sick of rush, esp with the amount they get discussed on motorcycle forums, but this song and red barchetta are still some of my favorite riding tunes.

not to be a buzzkill, but i'm pretty sure this song is about geddy's parent's experience in a concentration camp. "brighten up" is probably not what i'd be thinking.

Red Rocks is the best venue for any band! Love that place. Rush in a wonderful setting. Unbeatable.

..."brighten up" is probably not what I'd be thinking...BubbaZanetti

Didn't know that; the other version of it on Youtube actually has the camps as the video background.

I confess I don't listen to lyrics much, just the music.

Last edited:
Back