• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route assistance on Ride to Dalton, Georgia

dan_forker

Four of us are planning on riding to Dalton, Ga. on the first weekend in October. Plan to leave Wichita, KS and ride straight through to Dalton, then ride the mountain roads for two days and return. MapQuest suggests we take I-70 to KC, KS and then over to I-25 and down to Dalton. It appears on the map that it would be quicker to take I-35 to Ok City and I-40 over to Tennessee and the highway 69 across Tennessee to connect to I-25 and down to Dalton.

Do any of you know which would be the quickest route? 69 looks like it is mostly well improved two lane with some four lane portions.

Also looking for suggested ride routes in the Ga. and Carolina mountains. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Dan Forker

N. Georgia Routing

Dan,
I'm not sure what Mapquest you're on but I-25 is in Colorado. I-75 runs through Dalton, GA in the NW part of the state. You'll want to work your way over to the NE part of the state for the "better" GA roads. Rte 60 from Blue Ridge, through Suches to Dahlonega. Rte 180 from Suches to Vogle State Park and on to Brasstown Bald. Rte 129 from Cleveland, GA north to Blairsville. Rte 348, the Richard Russell Scenic Highway. State Rte 75 from Helen to Hiawassee. 76 from Blairsville to Clayton, then do WarWoman Road east of Clayton. At end of WarWoman Road take a left onto S.Carolina 28 and head to Highlands. Out of Highlands, pick up rte 64 east or west--either direction you can't lose. While in the area you must do the Cherohala Skyway (Tellico Plains, Tennessee to Robbinsville, N.Carolina ) and then on to Deals Gap.
These are but a few of the many scenic roads in the NE GA, W NC, E TN area. Enjoy the ride and be safe.
John

yeah, i was going to say that...

the usual suspects:

ga60, 180, 348 (richard russell scenic raceway) and us129 and ga17 north of helen. also, us76 east of hiawassee to ga197 south, and take the ga 356 turnoff west to helen.

unusual suspects:
from dalton, look for US76... take that east to Alt52 to chatsworth. follow that east to ellijay, then continue east on 52. just past roy, ga, look for burnt mountain road (ga108)... south... it goes up the hill to ga136. west goes back to ellijay. if you go west, follow 136 all the way to us411,and then US 76 back to Dalton.

or... continue west on 136 all the way to cloudland canyon state park. then, turn around and take 136 east back to ga189 north... lookout mountain scenic highway. when you get to chattannooga, go south on 75 back to dalton.

any chance you're a civil war buff, or enjoy dirt roads?

ian

oh... western nc.

in addition to the dragon, consider these:

NC209 from exit 24 on I-40 to Hot Springs. This goes right past our house in NC, which you are always invited to visit and stay (you have to ride a gravel road up the side of the mountain... aka my "twit filter"... )

About halfway to Hot Springs... in a tiny village called Trust, take a detour on NC63 up over the hill, then turn around and ride it backwards. This is one of the best roads in NC.

Once in Hot Springs... take NC212 east into TN, where it changes to TN352. Look for US19W (amazing road) back into NC, east/south to US19E... east past Burnsville to NC80, north to NC226, east to NC261, north into TN where it changes to TN143 and goes over Roan Mountain.

Here is a great loop from Cruso:

NC215 from Waynesville to Rosman, NC.... then head East on US 64 to US178 (great road) to SC11 east to US276, west back to Cruso.

A few singles:
NC151 off of the BRP
NC194 through Banner Elk
NC197 north of Asheville
NC9 east of Asheville
Bat Cave Road, Old Fort/Sugar Hill Road, and Montford Cove Road east of Asheville

Let me take another shot at this. The first post I did without refreshing my memory on the highway numbers.

Mapquest suggests taking I-70 east out of Kansas City to I-24 and then I-75 into Dalton, Ga.

It looks to me to be less out of the way to take I-35 South to 412(Indian Nations Turnpike) to I-40 in Oklahoma, I-40 to Memphis, Tn, State 64 across Tn to I-24 and then to I-75 on in to Dalton. I am familiar with all the roads but State 64 across TN. My question is does my preferred route make sense over MapQuests? Is anyone familiar with State 64?

Dan Forker

dan_forker said:
Let me take another shot at this. The first post I did without refreshing my memory on the highway numbers.

Mapquest suggests taking I-70 east out of Kansas City to I-24 and then I-75 into Dalton, Ga.

It looks to me to be less out of the way to take I-35 South to 412(Indian Nations Turnpike) to I-40 in Oklahoma, I-40 to Memphis, Tn, State 64 across Tn to I-24 and then to I-75 on in to Dalton. I am familiar with all the roads but State 64 across TN. My question is does my preferred route make sense over MapQuests? Is anyone familiar with State 64?

Dan - US64 across TN is very slow, albeit enjoyable in some areas. Plus, I-40 sucks.. especially around Memphis.

If you want to get to GA fast and have a decent ride on Interstates (as decent as a ride on an Interstate can be...) go through MO on I-70, then I-64 to I57 south to I- through KY to TN and the I-75 to Dalton.

Ian

Back