• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rotella-T Diesel Oil in a Motorcycle?

barry5k

Oh no, not another oil thread!!

Two of my riding buddies (Suzuki Bandit, Boulevard C90) swear by the oil they use: Rotella-T Oil, 15w-40. They both say their bikes run smoother, their transmissions click into gear better, and they get slightly better mpg. Plus it's cheap as hell at Walmart. I was wondering if anyone has used this oil in their bikes?

From a Shell forum:
http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310&page=28

Seems like most in the following advrider forum like the stuff. I'm just curious if anyone here has tried this oil. :dunno
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165074&page=3

The one thing you can count on is change

This oil used to be good. however there is a new "improved" specification for this oil with less zinc to help the life of catalytic converters on diesels.

The exemption on zinc is for 50W oils, so without an oil analysis it is not possible to know if the level is high enough,'

Sorry

Rod

It is just oil, I use it in my VFR. The only thing your buddies said that is true, is the cheaper part.

I use 15w-40 in my airhead and Kbike. Rotella, Delvac and Delo follow similar specs for zinc, phosphorus and calcium. I try to find the older spec (CI4plus) instead of CJ because it is usually available on closeout.

Good as any conventional oil out there and better than most.

Out of spec if the temps exceed 68 degrees F ( except on the latest bikes which spec 15W40). Airhheads, Classic K, and Oilheads would want 20w50 not 15W40.

Details, details.

When I went to change the oil in my IT (NT700V) honda at the 600 miles mark I was told there is now oil designed specifically for wet clutch systems, who knew? Not me, but its been 34 years since owning a wet clutch system so... back in the day I just used castrol GTX...so I have to wonder if this oil is ME rated? I guess you can use anything you want but the wisdom of the wet clutch types is that the ME rating helps make the clutch plates last longer. I guess they know(?)...

As smooth as the shift/gear change is on my IT, I can't imagine it could get any better, but then I'm used to an airhead tranny...:lol

RM

Engine oil won't have any effect on transmission shifting in any bike unless the transmission and engine share the same oil. If they are seperate entities oil wise there should be no effect at all.

If you are changing oil every 3k to 6k miles as well as the filter you aren't very likely to have any oil related problems unless you forget to fill the sump after draining it.

i used to use the 5w40 full synth in my bike in the new england winter, worked great, not sure i'd use it in the summer.

the 15w40 was dino last i checked

Back