• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Road report, US 95 at Weiser, ID

JetDoc

For those heading for spokane via southwestern Idaho, US 95 just north of Weiser is under construction and the road surface has been removed to dirt and gravel. They tend to tear up 10-15 miles at a time.

Suggested alternate routes from the Boise area would be to continue on I-84 West to US 395 and then on to Spokane, or Hwy 55 North from Eagle to McCall to New Meadows where you can reconnect with Hwy 95.

The I-84 to 395 route is mostly 4-lane and is the faster route. Hwy 55 to 95 is the scenic route on two-lane blacktop.

Ride Safe!

Highway 55 alternate route.

The highway 55 alternate route heads north a few miles west of Boise, ID. If you are coming from the west, it is roughly 45 miles east of the highway 95 cutoff to weiser. Stay on I-84 to the eagle cutoff. Follow the highway 55 signs north to Horseshoe Bend (be very conscious of your speed through this town), McCall to New Meadows. You will reconnect with highway 95 north in New Meadows.

Coming from the east, watch for the Eagle exit shortly after going through Boise. Head north to highway 55.

Highway 55 from Horseshoe Bend to Long Valley follows a series of narrow river canyons. The weather in this area was wet in June, so the hills are still green. The road twists and turns along the river. Tightest turns have posted 35 mph signs. Most are nice easy twisties. Watch for deer before McCall. Deer and bear north of McCall.

If the salmon are still running, the road through Riggins will have the rigs of fishermen parked on both sides of the road. Traffic moves through smoothly, but please pay attention to the lower speed through this town. Their speeding tickets are a major source of revenue for the community.

You will be riding through the Payette Scenic Byway, one of the most scenic roads in Idaho between Boise and Lewiston.

Another alternate road: When you get to White Bird, hop off the main highway and head into town, taking the old highway north out of town. This old highway has 79 turns and switchbacks to get to the top. You reconnect with highway 95 at the top of the hill. May add 20 minutes to your trip, but a great grinning road. (Photo posted under rally routes, the new highway is along the hillside to the right)

At Grangeville, if you have time, hop onto Highway 13 to Kooski, where you can pickup highway 12 into Lewiston, then north to Spokane via Highway 95 through Moscow, ID or highway 195 through Pullman, WA.

The weather is predicted to be in the 80s with blue skies and lots of sun. Be forewarned that the canyon inwhich Riggins sits can get extremely hot in the afternoons. Carry plenty of water and enjoy the views!!

Welcome to Idaho!!

Gene Chapman

I drove the construction section of 95 twice last weekend. Unless it is raining or has recently rained, it should pose no problem for anyone riding through it. Be safe.

Highway 95 through Weiser

The road construction mentioned earlier only consists of a few miles just north of Weiser. And...although we all like some curves to exercise our swooping skills on...this project will remove a couple of almost 90 degree ones that tended to sneak up on you.

I just came through Hwy 95 yesterday, and sat in road construction for over a half hour in 90+ temps. That was the worst part. The road surface is torn up as well, but navigable. I'd definitely recommend taking Hwy 55 to bypass it, which dumps back into Hwy 95 150 miles to the north. Much better scenery anyway!

Back