• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in the Jasper area.

D

dkeast140506

I was thinking of trailering my bike to the Jasper or Canmore area for a couple of days. I would do some mountain riding from there while my wife shops etc.. Any suggestions regarding roads to ride or reasonable hotels would be appreciated.
Thanks.

dk:

This is a big topic.

Do an advanced search in Ride Reports under the words: Kananskis, Highwood Pass, Icefield Parkway, and Jasper, and you'll pull up numerous threads.

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in Canmore on my recent trip to Alaska. I thought the price was reasonable for the area. $107 plus taxes. nice french restaurant next door as well.

Mountain pass

There is a mountain pass if you go south from Cochrane on highway 22 and then head to Blackfalls, can't remember the name but it is supposed to be one of the highest passes in Canada, Snow on the side of th road in July, great trip as it heads back north to join the Transcanada. It has a supposedly rare earless marmot in the cliffs (posted signs) along the road and is closed during the winter months. Paved twisty. Very nice. Thx Tom

...there is a mountain pass if you go south...on highway 22...tnyeste

Tom, you're thinking of Highway 40, the Kananaskis Trail, which goes over the Highwood Pass (7,230') and the south portion of which is closed in winter.

Highway 40 is about 20 minutes west of highway 22.

I'll have to research the earless marmots. :) I know there are Hoary Marmots further west; I've had them in my lap.

Back