• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding from Greenville, ME

zekezeller

I will be riding to Johnson City from Greenville in Northern Maine (possibly 2 up) and am looking for route suggestions. I have tentatively mapped out a route on AAA maps that take me along the northern parts of NH and VT crossing into NY at the northern tip of Lake Champlain then down through the Adirondacks. From here I would head SW to Binghamton and western NY before heading south to Johnson City.

Ideas of routes to avoid or alternate routes would be helpful but I want to avoid the high traffic areas of boston, NY City, Balto-Wash etc.

I understand the Yankee Beamers have suggested campgrounds and wonder what some of their members are using for routes.

Thanks for any help,

Bill Zeller
06 R1200RT

You could come across PA headed towards Harrisburg--- take the scenic Rte 15 south toward Gettysburg and in to Maryland.

Then you could either take Rte 81 straight down or the preferred route would be West Virginia Rte 220 south toward Roanoke and then the back roads to Johnson City.

The tough part will be coming across PA although if you head west through NY and NJ and pick up I-78 thats not too bad. You could even stop at the BMW dealership (Hermys) and Cabelas's store in Hamburg, PA about two miles from I-78

Safe travels

Here is how I would do it, great mix of scenic backroads and non-urban highway. This puts you on two of my favorite roads, PA Rt. 144/44 from Galeton to Bellefonte, and the AWESOME Rt. 220 from Bedford south (with the mighty fine Rt. 84, 39 and 311 thrown in for no other reason than they simply should not be missed.)

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=I-86+W&daddr=Grant+St+to:E+Main+St%2FUS-6+E+to:Ole+Bull+Rd%2FPA-144+to:pA-144%2FTamarack+Rd+to:pA-144%2FW+Sycamore+Rd+to:pA-144%2FRunville+Rd+to:I-99%2FUS-220+to:US-220%2FWV-28+to:US-220+to:WV-84+to:VA-18+to:I-81+S+to:Lakeview+St&hl=en&geocode=FUQ7gwId4ENo-w%3BFfT_fAId9Ihk-w%3BFRjXfAIdbkZf-w%3BFYwQegIdgFhe-w%3BFb6ldgIdvi9d-w%3BFUwNcgIdvoJa-w%3BFYoTcQIdtT9c-w%3BFSbuYQIdnm9R-w%3BFWN1VQIdeFBL-w%3BFbIySwIdxslC-w%3BFUb3RwIdtB09-w%3BFbpbPQId5Gs3-w%3BFWUgNwIdync2-w%3BFSaxKwIdZnoV-w&mra=mr&mrcr=0&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&sll=40.882371,-77.842255&sspn=0.362361,0.701752&ie=UTF8&ll=39.656456,-78.662109&spn=8.117741,14.0625&z=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=I-86+W&daddr=Grant+St+to:E+Main+St%2FUS-6+E+to:Ole+Bull+Rd%2FPA-144+to:pA-144%2FTamarack+Rd+to:pA-144%2FW+Sycamore+Rd+to:pA-144%2FRunville+Rd+to:I-99%2FUS-220+to:US-220%2FWV-28+to:US-220+to:WV-84+to:VA-18+to:I-81+S+to:Lakeview+St&hl=en&geocode=FUQ7gwId4ENo-w%3BFfT_fAId9Ihk-w%3BFRjXfAIdbkZf-w%3BFYwQegIdgFhe-w%3BFb6ldgIdvi9d-w%3BFUwNcgIdvoJa-w%3BFYoTcQIdtT9c-w%3BFSbuYQIdnm9R-w%3BFWN1VQIdeFBL-w%3BFbIySwIdxslC-w%3BFUb3RwIdtB09-w%3BFbpbPQId5Gs3-w%3BFWUgNwIdync2-w%3BFSaxKwIdZnoV-w&mra=mr&mrcr=0&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&sll=40.882371,-77.842255&sspn=0.362361,0.701752&ie=UTF8&ll=39.656456,-78.662109&spn=8.117741,14.0625&z=6" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Thanks

Thanks Scott and Ted, These are a lot of help. I have all the paper maps so now I can plot a route and put it in my GPS.

Safe travels,

Bill

Looking for riders from upstate NY to the rally in Tenn

Hi peoples...
I'm trying to find riders who like to camp and want to leave the Albany, NY region on Sat. or Sunday before the rally and head south. I've never been to a rally like this and love to spend time riding in any weather and camping for the stories that folks have to tell. If you know anyone interested, link those folk to this contact...
11gspeck@gmail.com

There you have it.

Greg:dance

Hi peoples...
I'm trying to find riders who like to camp and want to leave the Albany, NY region on Sat. or Sunday before the rally and head south. I've never been to a rally like this and love to spend time riding in any weather and camping for the stories that folks have to tell. If you know anyone interested, link those folk to this contact...
11gspeck@gmail.com

There you have it.

Greg:dance

This might be what you want... http://74.53.234.2/~riptide/mariner/showthread.php?t=9

thanks for posting the route suggestion...I'm leaning toward the leisurely trail myself, but will be looking for friends with guest rooms on the way, I will be shipping the camping stuff ahead, two up with (my) camping gear is to much.
_campingsite__by_Waluigi_Prower.png

I can put in a HUGE plug for the Penn-Wells Hotel in Wellsboro, PA - right at the start of the route above (the hotel, not the spa part though a soak at the spa is nice...) The rooms are reasonable and the place is motorcycle-friendly. It is one of the great "Grand Dame" hotels, once an opulent place and now a bit faded around the fringes but the bones of the place are still awesome and it is still very much a great place to stay with great staff and an unbeatable location. The rooms have not been updated (but still have full cable tv and wireless internet) and to be honest I like it that way.

Here is a pic from my last stay there, out the window overlooking the old-school and very well-preserved main drag and towards the large town square:
penn-wells_001.jpg

And a fully preserved 1930's diner for breakfast a block the other way:
penn-wells_002.jpg

Back