• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding Etiquette

D

DZIMBRIC

First of all I would like to thank the many folks who helped organize this years rally and the rally volunteers. Yeah I had to break out the back-up roll of TP and the beer tent was a long way away and I had to explain to a lot of people in the beer tent that I could only serve them 2 beers at a time due to state law and I did not want to see just how serious the State of TN was about enforcing that law; but I still had a great time.

I only have two whines

A BIG SHAME ON YOU to the gentleman riding the GS that was in such a hurry on Saturday around 4PM that he had to weave through all of the bikes waiting behind the shuttle and then just start riding on the shoulder before he cut across both lines of bikes to make the hillside camping location. Maybe he needed to use the porta-pottie; serves him right if it was out paper for endangering everyone by riding that way.

To the northbound couple on the oilhead who split our lane while passing us doing well over 70 on US421 south of Richmond, KY, please send me a PM, we should meet. If you are not sure who you are I noticed the pillion rider was wearing a pink helmet.

End of Rant. Please ride safe

Dan

First of all, I had a great time.
But I did notice the same kind of etiquette with bikes going to the left of shuttles without being waved on. The other issue I had was with going up the hill. We were always following shuttles, therefore there was always a line of bikes behind them. So while I'm doing my 2 MPH up the hill (doing the balancing trick), I kept getting complete strangers who felt it was their right to start riding next to me in the same lane.
Hey, nobody is going anywhere fast, so I think a little more patience might be in order.
End of rant.

To the northbound couple on the oilhead who split our lane while passing us doing well over 70 on US421 south of Richmond, KY.....
Dan

It wasn't us! (My pillion has a silver helmet). While I don't condone unsafe passing (and did not pass anyone because it was unsafe), I think that aggressive riding is almost expected on that road. US421 has the route known as "the snake" within it's length and attracts those who want to challenge themselves.
We rode this stretch of road fairly aggressively ourselves (although not at 10/10ths) on Saturday.
I noticed that there were quite a few riders (some on BMW's) who were riding above their skill level and were endangering themselves and others. I also noticed a few "Sunday riders" who held up long lines of other motorcyclists. We pulled over twice to let some of the faster riders pass us and I wished that one or two would have done the same for us.
At one point, our group of three bikes pulled over at a safe spot on the road to take a break and watch other riders transverse a fairly aggressive corner. Some were very skilled (more skilled than I). Some had great lines and rode smoothly while a few rode a very bad line and had to adjust once or twice just to make the corner. We also saw the local police pulling a (thankfully unhurt) cruiser rider's bike back onto the road from where he didn't make a corner.

Last edited:
maybe it's the NYC in me, but i was getting exceedingly frustrated by the pile ups and unnecessarily slow riding going on everywhere at the rally.

many of you people have been riding longer than i've been alive, PUT YOUR FEET UP ON THE PEGS, you won't need the "outriggers" above 1.2 mph.

maybe it's the NYC in me, but i was getting exceedingly frustrated by the pile ups and unnecessarily slow riding going on everywhere at the rally.

many of you people have been riding longer than i've been alive, PUT YOUR FEET UP ON THE PEGS, you won't need the "outriggers" above 1.2 mph.

What he said.

I thought it was funny how everyone made big lines in the right lane of a one way road. :)

Back