• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Restore a lowered bike

conflubmw

Without fully understanding all the implications of a Lowered bike, bought a used one and the first time I turned from a stop sign, I heard metal scraping. Usually don't drag a foot unless I'm really having fun, but this has become more of an occurrence. The modification was carried out by a dealer years ago, so not everything was done, like the stock center stand. I really need to find that 2" thick piece of lumber! The ESA button no longer shows the helmet, helmet with luggage, 2 helmets as with preload, but does show, COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT for rebound. While riding back from a friend's, I found myself bottoming out on dips and expansion joints in the road. Uh, I'm about 33% more than the Factory Default 75kg rider. It is a nice bike and I know a fix won't be cheap. Anyone with stories?

I had a similar situation after having the Progressive rear shock on my '12 RT rebuilt. After running the suspension re-calibration feature on my GS-911 all returned to normal... worth a shot.

I had a similar situation after having the Progressive rear shock on my '12 RT rebuilt. After running the suspension re-calibration feature on my GS-911 all returned to normal... worth a shot.
"I might be slow, but I'm not stupid"
Takes me a bit to make all the connections. The service ticket in 2013 showing the work and parts to lower this bike shows only the front shock replaced. LOOKING at the rear shock, it looks stock. Shock, box on the side of it to perform the ESA functions. Mentally, connecting what you said, the shock could have been 'programmed' to bottom out and then disabled via BMW's onboard computer and it could be still the original shock, thus needs to be 're-activated'.
Years ago on my '08 RT with ESA, I asked my dealer if I should see any future problems with the suspension wearing out since the bike had 100k on it. He told me as long as I went through the different suspension settings as riding modes and pre-loads addressable via the ESA button, I should be good. Like when you're a little kid and make an ugly face, and your Momma says if you don't stop doing that, your face will freeze with that expression.;)

Back