• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Request urgent paint matching help - Monza Blue Metallic for 1972 R75

rick755

Hi everyone,
I urgently need some assistance with matching paint for my bike. The paint system my shop is using is Axalta (ex-Dupont). We did a test spray of BMW paint code 038 (1976) and to my eye it looks way too light in color, much lighter than the R75 I saw in the museum at Bob's BMW. This is not a show bike, but I would like the color to be a close match. I have no luck getting a match for code 538 which I think was the original Glasurit code. Does anyone know any other vehicle years/types that matched the correct Monza Blue Metallic that I might be able to cross match the paint to?
Thanks,
Rick

PAS has it correct

The paint codes are not much help in this. The paint base and tints have changed over the last forty or so years since you bike was born. If you want to have the most accurate match to the original Monza Blue Holt BMW is the best bet. Save yourself some time and aggravation and give Kent Holt a call, if you consider your time and gas money spent trying to match locally you will save money with Holt.

Another way to get a good color match would be to bring a good example of original paint body work to the paint supplier and let them work on a match to the piece. You will need a somewhat large piece that has little to no fading or damage. A nice gas tank or rear fender would work best or if you could find a nice /6 battery cover in Monza Blue that would work as well.

Holt BMW recently (a year or two ago) did a match for /2 Caribe Blue for a friend of mine. One of the big challenges in the match was the metal flake in the paint, Holt had to start from scratch with everything and devise a way to reproduce the metal flake because the original method was not possible due to the environmental issues.

Monza Blue formula

I had a similar problem and wanted to paint my R75/5 Monza Blue. I asked on this and other lists and was given a formula.
Attached are pictures of the bike and the can of paint with formula.
Looks good to me.
Dave

Attachments

• DSCF1009.jpg
    DSCF1009.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF1008.jpg
    DSCF1008.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 84
  • P8020128.jpg
    P8020128.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 85
I had a similar problem and wanted to paint my R75/5 Monza Blue. I asked on this and other lists and was given a formula.
Looks good to me.
Dave

Many thanks Dave.

Going with 038 - thanks for responses

Looks good to me.
Dave

Dave,
I have decided to go with the 038 mix that I have and your pictures sold me. My /5 will end up looking very similar to yours, including with the Wixom style luggage which I am color coding to match the bike.
The sample spray is below.
IMG_5454.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the responses - I had to rule out the Holt suggestion as my painter only uses Axalta sprays. It is a weekend riding bike not a show bike, so the only person I have to impress is me - although when it finishes up looking like Dave's I am sure it will turn heads.
Cheers,
Rick

Back