• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacing 2014/2015 R1200 RT (K52) Upper Body Panel Tabs - One Solution

exgman

Many have discovered by now that it's easy to break off the two little tabs which help keep the RT's front-most (left and right sides) body panels on the bike. Both of them are secured in place by two T-25 bolts, two rubber grommets and two very small tabs. The tabs are very easy to break, and can lead to the panel(s) flapping at higher speeds.

Mea Culpa, I broke the tabs on my right panel installing some lights on my RT. I have come up with my version of a fix, but I have seen others involving Velcro tape and other things.

Because the original tabs are so small, I figured there was not enough meat in the plastic to try to re-mount them. I looked for alternatives, and first found little plastic pieces (for mounting sinks) at the hardware store. These did not work. I then found small aluminum clips which are used for securing storm windows and screens into storm doors. I decided that these could be modified (by Dremel tool) into a smaller, right-hand angle bracket for the device. Here are before and after photos of this bracket:

IMG_2083 (1).jpgIMG_2084 (1).jpg

I then cleaned the interior surface of the body panel, and using the "Original Super Glue" glued the wider surface of the aluminum piece to the body panel in place of the broken pieces. The final result is shown in this photo:

DSC_1438.jpg

I have attached the panel and ridden the RT up to 50 mph, but I don't think it's going to loosen as the little piece does not have a lot of pressure on it.

I think the original BMW design is not great as it takes a lot of care and maneuvering to get these two panels on and off the bike. I will be very careful with the left panel, and hope that my little fix holds on the right one.

Thanks for reading. I'm sure someone will come up with a better solution, but this is the one I found.:)

I have experienced the same issue, not a very thought out design, in fact on the new RT, BMW has dropped the ball on panel design and security
I made a comment about this issue to my selling dealers service manager, a new right side panel is coming under warrenty repair
Their really needs to be a couple of torx screws were the tabs are, until my panel arrives doubled sided tape is working
Other panel that gave way on the right side behind battery, again a lacking design to secure, one trip to dealer with duct tape holding it on got me a new panel
Do like your design how is it attached to panel?

Do like your design how is it attached to panel?

I used just a couple of small drops of "The Original SUPER GLUE" on the panel itself and held the broader side of the aluminum clip piece against the panel for about a minute until it was anchored tightly there. The 12-pack of glue was about $6 from Amazon, and the little aluminum clips were 43-cents each, making the cost of the repair pretty cheap. A new panel is about $350 I think.

IMG_2087.jpg

If BMW doesn't come through on new side panel
Will do the above fix
Then ride to next bmw event with duct tape over panel to get BMW's attention😀😀😀

Well, I can only say the the word which comes to my mind regarding those panels (and some other things on the K52 RT) is "flimsy."

They may replace the panel for you, but there's a ham-handed tech waiting somewhere down the road to screw it up...:banghead

Bet this gets fixed at the facelift.

Fairing mounting was improved at the hexhead->camhead facelift.

I used just a couple of small drops of "The Original SUPER GLUE" on the panel itself and held the broader side of the aluminum clip piece against the panel for about a minute until it was anchored tightly there. The 12-pack of glue was about $6 from Amazon, and the little aluminum clips were 43-cents each, making the cost of the repair pretty cheap. A new panel is about $350 I think.

View attachment 51309

If I remember correctly, I think the $350 only gets you a primed panel. To have it painted as well runs in the $700 range. Ouch.

I fixed one of my tabs with this:

http://qbond.net

Pretty amazing stuff and so far my repaired tab is holding just fine. I just cleaned up the edge, applied some Q-Bond and stuck it right back where it was.

I haven't seen John's repair yet, hope it holds. FWIW, the only thing I have had superglue really work on is skin cracks in my old hands :gerg
I would be inclined to use a 2-part epoxy and some glass mat......after I tried a little bit of the mixture on the panel to see how it worked.
OM

Gary - I tried J-B Weld for plastics first and it didn't hold very well. Also, there are very tight tolerances in that area, and anything with any bulk is a problem. I'll come and show you the work when I'm back in town.

Another Upper Body Panel Tab Problem

BMW Side Panel.jpg

2015 with 3000 miles...no impact, nothing disassembled and tab is broken......c'mon BMW!

** Dealer has agreed to replace the panel as a warranty issue. As of of November 21, 2015. So feel better about the issue.

Last edited:
View attachment 51454

2015 with 3000 miles...no impact, nothing disassembled and tab is broken......c'mon BMW!

I also have a 2015 (San Marino Blue) with a broken tab on the left side panel. Same as yours. I had dropped by bike off at the dealer for the 12k mile service. When I went to pick up the bike I discover the panel had a broken tab.

I brought this to the Service Advisor's attention and they agreed it was their Tech's fault and would be ordering a new panel (about $740 -- ouch!). At least they stepped up to the plate.

Perhaps your tab was broken when the 600 mile service was done? Or when the bike was originally assembled by the dealer?

Mine arrive this week, supposed to be covered by warrenty, all agree the panels on the new RT are not up to bmw standards

Mine arrive this week, supposed to be covered by warrenty, all agree the panels on the new RT are not up to bmw standards
Probably was OK on paper, looked pretty good when it came out of the rapid-prototype machine and really fancy when the paint was applied :banghead
A few of these expensive warranty claims should cause a change.
OM

Loctite Super Glue works for now

I broke off one tab on the right top panel while installing my Denali driving lights on my 15 RT that I purchased last summer. The panels are not built as strong like I had on my 07 RT. I'm sure the other tabs will fall off eventually. Right now I'm scared to touch the left side.:banghead

These stories give me the willies and quite frankly I don't understand it. I have a '16 on order...

Maybe the smart thing is to reinforce the original design BEFORE it breaks. Any thoughts on how to best accomplish that?

Just Be Careful

Having broken off and replaced the two tabs on my right panel I realize it was my own haste & sloppiness which caused the problem. Just realize that you have to be careful & not force anything and you'll be fine.

These stories give me the willies and quite frankly I don't understand it. I have a '16 on order...

Maybe the smart thing is to reinforce the original design BEFORE it breaks. Any thoughts on how to best accomplish that?

FWIW: I am not a R1200RT owner nor do I play one on TV, but on my K1300GT I broke one of the slotted tabs used to hang the belly pan in place. Also broke the tab on the bottom of the fairing panel that shares that slot in the belly pan. Long story short, I reinforced both sides by cutting and bending a piece of .040 aluminum sheet to match the shape or each tab or slot, then epoxied them in place using a two-part epoxy. Where the aluminum was to be fastened to the belly pan or side panel itself, the aluminum was cut larger and the surfaces roughed up to give more contact area and a better hold. It's holding so far.

Best,
DG

I reinforced both sides by cutting and bending a piece of .040 aluminum sheet to match the shape or each tab or slot, then epoxied them in place using a two-part epoxy.
Best,
DG

Thanks DG that sounds simple enough. I talked to our senior mech with 20y experience w/ BMW repair and he tells me you just have to be smart and deliberate and the tabs will be fine which is what a few others are saying here too. Even so I will be putting radiator guards on and so while panels are off will follow this idea and reinforce. Might even be able to build up a thick reinforcement using just epoxy. My F800GT has tabs as well and they have held up fine as I saw them as vulnerable so treated them with extreme care.

Back